OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 06:55:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Want to Attend an Orthodox Church in Dallas  (Read 3530 times) Average Rating: 0
cre8ivmind

Faith: Protestant, but interested in Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: non-denominational

St. Francis of Assisi

« on: June 26, 2008, 09:14:43 PM »

I'm currently attending a non-denominational church in south Dallas.  I grew up Protestant, but lately I've been questioning my beliefs.  I did as much research as I can, and I realized that Eastern Orthodoxy is the closest thing to the original Christian church.  I know there are a few Orthodox churches in the Dallas area, and would like to know if there is anyone on this board who attends one in or near Dallas. 

Thank you!
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 09:32:33 PM »

I believe David Bryan lives in or near Dallas. Perhaps he could direct you?

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 10:37:54 PM »

Fort Worth, actually, but what a time to be going to the Dallas Cathedral, what with the diocesan assembly going on as I type...I  PM'ed cre8ivemind, ytter, thanks.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 10:57:51 PM »

I have visited the Greek Orthodox Church (Holy Trinity) several times. It is a beautiful church and a very welcoming community.

Michael

http://www.holytrinity.info/
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 10:59:31 PM by Brigidsboy » Logged

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 11:05:43 PM »

I'm currently attending a non-denominational church in south Dallas.  I grew up Protestant, but lately I've been questioning my beliefs.  I did as much research as I can, and I realized that Eastern Orthodoxy is the closest thing to the original Christian church.  I know there are a few Orthodox churches in the Dallas area, and would like to know if there is anyone on this board who attends one in or near Dallas. 

Thank you! 

A good friend of mine is the second priest at Holy Trinity in Dallas (the one that Brigidsboy linked to) - he says its a very active parish with a lot going on.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 09:08:56 AM »

There are several canonical Orthodox Churches in Dallas:
1) St. Seraphim Orthodox Cathedral 4112 Throckmorton Dallas, Tx 75219 (Phone) 214-528-3741
    a very nice traditional Church serving the Orthodox Church in America and the Cathedra Seat of Archbishop Dimitri a convert from protestantism
    The Cathedral is noteable for the beauty of its icons and the reverence which the services (English and Church Slavonic)are served by the clergy of the cathedral.
2) Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church 13555 Hillcrest Road Dallas, Texas 75240-5412 (Phone) 972-991-1166
    The oldest of all Orthodox Communities in Dallas dates back to 1915.  The  current Parish resulted from the combining of all Greek Orthodox
     Community Chapels and missions in Dallas to create a Mega-Greek Orthodox Church for the City.  It is the largest Orthodox Congregation in
      Dallas.  Its people are welcoming. Services are held in Greek and English.
3) Saints Constantine and Helen Antiochian Orthodox Church   3755 Walnut Hill Lane, Dallas Texas Phone: 214-350-2104
     A Welcoming Church Community that is growing faster than its building program can keep up with. Founded in 1978, it is in the midst of a building fund raiser to get a new larger building. It has a great Sunday School program and Youth group. Services are in English with occassional Arabic and Greek used during "ektanias".
4) St Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR) 3617 Abrams, Dallas Texas, 75214-3009  (Phone) 972-529-2754
    This Parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of ZRussia is the newest Orthodox parish in Dallas and the only Old Calendar Church for the city. The church is somewhat difficult to locate as it is in a rented building located on the campus of All Saints Episcopal, in white building behind their main building, and totally separate from it. There is an entrance off the alley, and a sign on the door. The community is largely Convert and welcoming to visitors. Services are held in English primarily with some Church Slavonic.

Expanding  out of Dallas to the immediate suburbs you will find smaller congregations:
5) Our Lady of Walsingham Antiochian Orthodox Church (Western Rite) 933 Cascade St. Mesquite TX 75149 (Phone) 972-216-2922
    This small Western Rite Orthodox congregation is part of the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese.  Services are in English.
6)Holy Three Hierarchs Serbian Orthodox Church 2324 Village Creek Dr Irving, TX 75060  (Phone) (214) 441-9267‎
    A small mission of the Serbian Orthodox Church. Services are in English and Church Slavonic.
7) St. Sava Orthodox Church 3801 E Ave. K Plano, TX 75074  (Phone) 972-612-3881 
    A small mission of the OCA.I have not visited it but hear good things about it.

Thomas

corrected for spelling and syntax
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 01:40:16 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
cre8ivmind

Faith: Protestant, but interested in Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: non-denominational

St. Francis of Assisi

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 09:51:50 AM »

Thanks for letting me know about these churches.  Due to my lack of transportation, unfortunately I'm not able to go to any of these churches on Sundays.  The local bus system is very limited on Sundays, and my area is out of range.  I may, however, visit one on a weekday morning.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 10:00:37 AM »

Thanks for letting me know about these churches.  Due to my lack of transportation, unfortunately I'm not able to go to any of these churches on Sundays.  The local bus system is very limited on Sundays, and my area is out of range.  I may, however, visit one on a weekday morning. 

The largest of the parishes will probably have extensive weekday service schedules, so that will be a good opportunity for you.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 01:41:45 PM »

You may wish to contact the priest and explain your situation, there may be other ways to get you to a Sunday Service.  I bleieve the Cathedral has daily services.  The various websites will also list all services of the churches.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Ignatius of Antioch

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

Saint Ignatius of Antioch Pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 12:57:48 AM »

I hope you attend one Orthodox Church and see the Faith of our Ancestors. Talk to a Priest; he will surely answer any questions you have on Orthodoxy!

Off topic, but has anyone realize that the phrase "non-denominational" is a Oxymoron? Hasn't anyone notice that "non-denomination" churches are in fact a "denomination"? Just a thought.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God have mercy on me, a sinner.
In IC.XC,
Ramon
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 12:58:39 AM by Ignatius of Antioch » Logged

Virgin Theotokos, rejoice!
O Mary, Full of Grace;
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
For thou hast borne the Savior of our souls.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory Forever!
O Giver of Life, Glory to Thee!
Tags: Texas 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: