Author Topic: Why do Priests Bless Water?  (Read 1789 times)

Offline ignatius

• Baptacathadox
  • OC.net guru
  • My Son Aidan... :-)
Why do Priests Bless Water?
« on: June 26, 2008, 03:43:01 PM »
I was wondering 'why do priests bless water'? Can laity bless water? Does water need to be blessed? If water isn't blessed can it be blessed by assuming it is blessed and using as blessed water?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 03:43:52 PM by ignatius »
St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
Re: Why do Priests Bless Water?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 07:37:34 PM »
The Sanctification of Water can be considered a Sacrament, and no, laity cannot celebrate it.
Sanctifying water restores it to it's correct Nature, that is, it restores it to what water was Created to be, and to what the waters which flowed through Paradise were. It is not "magic" water, but rather, it is "Paradisical Water". It is Sanctified through the Incarnation and Baptism of Christ, when God Himself was immersed bodily in the River Jordan. It is not simply "water which has been prayed over", but is Sanctified by the Power of the Holy Spirit.
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline ignatius

• Baptacathadox
  • OC.net guru
  • My Son Aidan... :-)
Re: Why do Priests Bless Water?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 09:37:09 AM »
The Sanctification of Water can be considered a Sacrament, and no, laity cannot celebrate it.
Sanctifying water restores it to it's correct Nature, that is, it restores it to what water was Created to be, and to what the waters which flowed through Paradise were. It is not "magic" water, but rather, it is "Paradisical Water". It is Sanctified through the Incarnation and Baptism of Christ, when God Himself was immersed bodily in the River Jordan. It is not simply "water which has been prayed over", but is Sanctified by the Power of the Holy Spirit.

I appreciate the answer ozgeorge thanks a bunch but can a Deacon bless water or is this only possible by a Priest? I'm just curious.
St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”