OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 11:07:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Futuristic" Icons  (Read 7338 times) Average Rating: 0
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2008, 01:02:51 AM »

<applause emoticon here>

You get it too, BrotherAiden.  Smiley

You also caught some of the very particular differentiation between the various angels in the first set.  One thing that interests me is that you see Gabriel as an east Indian woman and I saw it as male/somewhat neutral.  Intriguing. 

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2008, 06:46:05 AM »

I don't know about "clearly" since there are not photos of Michelangelo to show how he really looked.  I've also read that it is supposed to be someone else, a poet whose name I'd have to look up.

Michelangelo did produce some sketches and studies which were self-portraits, so there is a historical record of what he looked like.

As Orthodox, we should not get so uptight over any and every presentation of religious art that we become anti-art like some protestatnt fundamentalists are.

Brother Aidan, I have a great appreciation for a broad variety of art, across many periods. However, when artists begin to blur the boundaries of art and iconography, this prompts me to speak out. Let's not forget that the artist behind the futurikons still suggests these works can be used in religious devotions (her words), as well as regarded as simply "art".

Those who aren't Orthodox (OO or EO) or Catholics and Anglicans who venreate icons as part of their devotional practice are not going to understand icons and icon painting and the theology behind icons. So there is no use trashing these "icons' from the Orthodox theological perspective.

I find this comment rather condescending, if not insulting, to pious non-Orthodox folks who have "discovered" icons, and would like to use them as part of their devotions. Is it so difficult to educate such people on what an icon is, and, just as importantly, what is not an icon? No, it is not, as I regularly speak to groups of such people. Invariably they are amazed and humbled by the depth and richness of our sacred art. With a few, it sets them on the road to conversion to Orthodoxy.

It must also be said that two of the most notorious and prolific producers and peddlers of uncanonical icons are Roman Catholic (one a Jesuit priest, the other a Franciscan friar). I have no problem whatsoever with their religious denomination, but I do have a problem with their modus operandi. Both these men use their religious vocation as a means of asserting their credibility as "master iconographers" among the unsuspecting pious public. Vile.

_Seraphim_
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2008, 02:15:28 PM »

does that violate her copyright one wonders...?

The only reason we can see these images is because they already exist online... they're just visually being "linked" to.  If someone doesn't want their art being "linked" to than they shouldn't have them on the world-wide-web.

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2008, 02:18:10 PM »

Is there any point you are trying to get across by posting so many of her pictures... without personal comments please?

I don't have much to say about them, but I'm curious to know what others think.

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2008, 02:27:50 PM »

I think they're interesting, though I probably wouldn't buy one of them.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2008, 10:46:46 PM »

You also caught some of the very particular differentiation between the various angels in the first set.  One thing that interests me is that you see Gabriel as an east Indian woman and I saw it as male/somewhat neutral.  Intriguing. 

Ebor

I thought Michael looked like a Native American Ninja!  Huh

And with Rafael, Sir Isaac Newton came to mind.  laugh
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2008, 10:52:25 PM »

I find this comment rather condescending, if not insulting, to pious non-Orthodox folks who have "discovered" icons, and would like to use them as part of their devotions. Is it so difficult to educate such people on what an icon is, and, just as importantly, what is not an icon? No, it is not, as I regularly speak to groups of such people. Invariably they are amazed and humbled by the depth and richness of our sacred art. With a few, it sets them on the road to conversion to Orthodoxy.

I thought about protestants and even non-Christians who are attracted to icons or incorporate them into their prayer lives. Sometimes you just don't have time to type everything that's on your mind.

But it is not at all condescending in that 90%, probably more, of people who venerate icons are from the communions I mentioned.
It was just an observation of fact. There are always exceptions to prove the rule.

If you are encouraging people from these other backgrounds to venerate icons, God bless you and keep doing it!
CalloftheTor

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2008, 12:18:08 PM »

They are beautiful. And it is interesting to think of the Holy Angels being active in the "modern" world.
Obviously not Orthodox, but entertaining.
Lord, have mercy!

Great art Thou, O Lord, and wonderful are Thy works, and no words shall be sufficient to hymn Thy wonders
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2008, 02:46:29 PM »

I think they are heretical. Reminds me of the pagan gods. In that they have control over certain elements.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2008, 04:05:22 PM »

Reminds me of the pagan gods. In that they have control over certain elements.

Ironically it is only the holy (not fallen) angels that DO have control over the elements. 
The problem lies in worshiping the servants/ministers/messengers of God instead of God Himself. 

Satan really can't fully invent anything... just distort the Truth.

Holy angels always refuse any worship given to them
(even though they actually do have magnificent power over creation)...
while the demons (who have no real power) toil endlessly for any attention from humanity.

-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2008, 05:29:04 PM »

I took another look having some time to think about my first response.

I conclude:

Absolutely ridiculous.

Not for orthodox use at all...period.

Side show art.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2008, 08:33:23 PM »

The artist has a scholarly interest in the Zoroastrian religion and culture, just as some others may have an interest in other cultures or religions not their own.  Is there any point you are trying to get across by posting so many of her pictures (and does that violate her copyright one wonders) without personal comments please?

Ebor

Linking has already been declared protected by courts. I don't know about "hotlinking" though. I would not be too concerned about the law though when someone is making images of demons. That is what one really needs to be concerned about--someone making images based on icons also makes images of Zorastrian "angels" (ie. demons).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 08:35:16 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2008, 08:36:05 PM »

BTW, I think the images look appealing, but I can't support what they are about.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2008, 10:44:54 PM »

That is what one really needs to be concerned about--someone making images based on icons also makes images of Zorastrian "angels" (ie. demons).

Exactly.

-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2008, 10:45:10 PM »

The artist has a scholarly interest in the Zoroastrian religion and culture, just as some others may have an interest in other cultures or religions not their own.  Is there any point you are trying to get across by posting so many of her pictures (and does that violate her copyright one wonders) without personal comments please?

Ebor

Ebor, Father just answered your question very well.

-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2008, 01:02:59 AM »

Linking has already been declared protected by courts. I don't know about "hotlinking" though. I would not be too concerned about the law though when someone is making images of demons. That is what one really needs to be concerned about--someone making images based on icons also makes images of Zorastrian "angels" (ie. demons).

I'm just curious, Father.  I don't know that much about the Zoroastrian faith at all.  My feeling would be that these beings might be demons, but that they might not be too...I don't presume to say what they are or are not.  Perhaps you know more about Zoroastrianism, and that is why you are sure that they are demons?  I don't know.  I've certainly seen spirits in other faiths and worldviews that appear to be demonic, but others in the same faiths  that don't appear to  be so....figures in shamanistic beliefs come  to mind.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2008, 03:03:06 AM »

I guess any angel who isn't Christian would be a demon.  That only makes sense.

The Zoroastrians have very elaborate beliefs about angels:

http://www.avesta.org/angels.html

The "futuristic icons" in the original post do remind me of them, especially the way they seem to be "presiding" over different things.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 03:06:43 AM by Salpy » Logged

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2008, 03:17:27 AM »

I find them appaling and offensive. It is taken the sacred and making it clipart.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2008, 11:02:39 AM »

Linking has already been declared protected by courts. I don't know about "hotlinking" though.

Thank you.  I link to sites that provide supporting information frequently, sometimes with small quotes to show that they are relevent, so that was not my concern.  It was the "hotlinking" which in effect "copies" a piece of art to another site that I was wondering about.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Tags: icons angels Zoroastrianism 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: