OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 11:30:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spouse of the Holy Spirit Blasphemes or not according to orthodoxy  (Read 1564 times) Average Rating: 0
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« on: June 17, 2008, 11:13:34 PM »

What is the eastern orthodox and oriental Orthodox opinion and belief on the Catholic Belief Spouse of The Holy Spirit....Has any Holy Early Church Father Called Mary This.......Huh?SmileyCentral.com" border="0
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 11:14:53 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 11:27:07 PM »

Here is an article by Monsignor Charles M. Mangan for those who do not quite understand what Roman Catholics mean by such terminology; remember to take into account things such as the Roman Catholic view on Original Sin, etc.

http://www.catholic.org/featured/headline.php?ID=3013

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 12:27:16 AM »

Here is an article by Monsignor Charles M. Mangan for those who do not quite understand what Roman Catholics mean by such terminology; remember to take into account things such as the Roman Catholic view on Original Sin, etc.

http://www.catholic.org/featured/headline.php?ID=3013
What I read in the article makes the Theotokos out to be the perfect example of what we are all to strive to be: so in tune with the Holy Spirit that His will becomes ours, nothing more and nothing less.  The article's concluding paragraph:

We glorify the Eternal Father by our oneness with the Holy Spirit. Our Blessed Mother has already shown us the way to union with Christ: submission to the Lord in everything! Such a gesture, rooted in grace, on our part signals our commitment to live as sons and daughters of God the Father, brothers and sisters of Jesus the Son of God, temples and—in analogous fashion—spouses of the Holy Spirit, and sons and daughters of the Ever-Virgin Mary, who has paved the road for our rightful surrender to the Lord.

Maybe the language "spouse of the Holy Spirit" isn't language we Orthodox have ever used to describe the Theotokos, but how is the above sentiment not Orthodox?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 12:27:48 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 12:36:26 AM »

By saying that saying it seem's jesus has two father's or can be interpeded as such..Huh??SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 01:20:53 AM »

By saying that saying it seem's jesus has two father's or can be interpeded as such..Huh??SmileyCentral.com" border="0
To read in the article any implication that Jesus is also the Son of the Holy Spirit is quite the stretch indeed, and to think that the article could even be interpreted that way is even more of a stretch.  IMO, you really have to approach the article with an already incredibly strong anti-Catholic prejudice to see what you claim to see.  I've read the whole article myself, and I see nothing that contradicts Orthodox teaching whatsoever, except maybe the Latin concept of original sin and the allusion to the Immaculate Conception.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 03:14:25 AM »

What do you make of the term "Immaculate Mediatrix" (from the article), especially when taking into consideration the Scriptural verse: "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus" (1 Tim. 2:5)?
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 04:26:49 AM »

The Mother of God is frequently referred to liturgically (in the texts of her feasts, and in the Theotokia/Bogorodicheni written in her honour, as the bride of God, but NEVER as the spouse of the Holy Spirit. This cannot be accidental.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 09:41:45 AM »

To read in the article any implication that Jesus is also the Son of the Holy Spirit is quite the stretch indeed, and to think that the article could even be interpreted that way is even more of a stretch.  IMO, you really have to approach the article with an already incredibly strong anti-Catholic prejudice to see what you claim to see.  I've read the whole article myself, and I see nothing that contradicts Orthodox teaching whatsoever, except maybe the Latin concept of original sin and the allusion to the Immaculate Conception.

Brother:Please
I didn't read the article ,i won't ,i started to but the imaculate mediatrix stopped me from going further in the article....i was commenting on the title spouse of the Holy Spirit,,,that it could be interpreted as such...that's all...chill brotherSmileyCentral.com" border="0

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 09:45:17 AM »

Brother:Please
I didn't read the article ,i won't ,i started to but the imaculate mediatrix stopped me from going further in the article....i was commenting on the title spouse of the Holy Spirit,,,that it could be interpreted as such...that's all...chill brother

So in other words, your anti-Catholic bias is so strong that you won't evaluate what the article says on its own merits and instead simply make a decision without knowing anything about it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 09:45:32 AM by Veniamin » Logged

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 12:25:14 PM »

What do you make of the term "Immaculate Mediatrix" (from the article), especially when taking into consideration the Scriptural verse: "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus" (1 Tim. 2:5)?
I have only heard the term Mediatrix used by Catholics, so I think they would need to define it first. It seems that so much of our terminology is different, or else we use the same term to mean different things, that communication is difficult.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: