OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 11:53:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ukrainian Church History  (Read 1506 times) Average Rating: 0
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« on: June 25, 2008, 01:01:50 AM »

It was Metropolitan Petro Mohyla of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church who first introuduced these questions in his famous Trebnyk of 1646 which is the 17th century.  Later when the Ukrainian Church was forced to become part of the Russian Church, this tradition was then introduced into wedding services in Russia as well and from Russia to the OCA.

I think someone needs to point out some errors in your presentation of history. There was no such thing as the Ukrainian Orthodox Church until this century. Kiev was not just apart of Rus but it was the major city until the rise of Moscow. When St. Peter Mogila introduces these changes as Metropolitan of Kiev he was in fact introducing into the entire Church in Rus because of the prominence of Kiev as the center of education in the Orthodox world at the time.

Mind you I am ethnically half Ukrainian but I am willing to be honest about the history of my heritage.

Joseph
Jake

Faith: Eastern orthodox

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 10:54:32 AM »

It was Metropolitan Petro Mohyla of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church who first introuduced these questions in his famous Trebnyk of 1646 which is the 17th century.  Later when the Ukrainian Church was forced to become part of the Russian Church, this tradition was then introduced into wedding services in Russia as well and from Russia to the OCA.

I think someone needs to point out some errors in your presentation of history.

There was no such thing as the Ukrainian Orthodox Church until this century. Kiev was not just apart of Rus but it was the major city until the rise of Moscow. When St. Peter Mogila introduces these changes as Metropolitan of Kiev he was in fact introducing into the entire Church in Rus because of the prominence of Kiev as the center of education in the Orthodox world at the time. Mind you I am ethnically half Ukrainian but I am willing to be honest about the history of my heritage.

Perhaps the writer was referring to the geopraphical territory of present day Ukraine. But, you seem to be a bit confused here about history.  Kyivan Rus was divided into different territories in terms of political entities.  At one time Novgorod was a different state, Pskov had itw own prince and of course Moscow with its own prince in time rose in importance and even overtook the mighty Novgorod.  All the princes were fighting for power.

IT is true that Kyiv is the mother church and was originally under the Patriarch of Constantinople.  But at the time of Metropolitan Petro Mohyla, the Eastern Slavic  Orthodox Church was spilt into the Patriarchat of Moscow and the Metropolitanate of Kyiv which remained under the Patriarch of Constantinople.  Two different church jurisdictions. 

Also in 1646, Kyiv, Volynia and Galicia (Ukrainian areas) and what is now Belarus were part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.  Metropolitan Petro Mohyla was the Hierarch of the Orthodox Church in his geographical area of what is now Ukraine (and Belarus) and under the Patriarch of Constantinople.

In the time of Tsar Peter the Great and after the Battle of Poltava, the Church in the geopraphical area of what is now Ukraine was forced to become part of the Moscow Patriarchate.  The Patriarch of Constantinople protested but to no avail.  How this clears up the issue.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 12:35:33 PM »

I'd love to see some documentary references.^

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Jake

Faith: Eastern orthodox

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 01:08:53 PM »

I'd love to see some documentary references.^
Sure, but for what specifically?
The political structure and breakup of Kyivan Rus and the city states/ rise of Moscovy  see:
Crummey, Robert O. The Formation of Muscovy, 1304-1613. London: Longman, 1987.

The standard university text for Russian history is still:
Riasanovsky, Nicholas. A History of Russia  4th ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 1984.
He is very good on the break-up of the Rus and the rise of Moscow, also the Peter the Great Period.

Ukrainian history:
Subtelny, Orest. Ukraine: A History. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1988

Religious & cultural History:
Billington, James H. The Icon and the Axe: An Interpretive History of Russian Culture. New York: Knopf, 1966.
Cherniavsky, Michael. Tsar and People: Studies in Russian Myths. New York: Random House, 1969.

Russian Annexation of Ukraine:
Kohut, Zenon E. Russian Centralism and Ukrainian Autonomy: Imperial Absorption of the Hetmanate, 1760s-1830s. Cambridge: Harvard Ukrainian Research Institute and Harvard University Press, 1988.

Let me get back to you about books on Eastern Slavic Church history and Metropolitan Petro Mohyla.  I seem to remember Harvard University putting out a whole volume on this topic in the 1990's or 1980's.  Also the Travels of the Patriarch of Antioch  a 17th century work by Deacon Paul of Aleppo is very good reading.  It has been translated into English and is online some where.  His descriptions of church services in Kyiv as compared to Moscow are very good.  He was also at the Church Council of 1666/67 in Moscow.  A great read.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 01:14:26 PM »

Thank you. Those will do nicely.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 06:54:35 PM »

Welcome to the forum Jake!

Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 07:31:42 PM »

^^ Same from me. Вітаю Вас, панe Jake!

Love never fails.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: