OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 09:02:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: How do you answer when asked about your faith?
Orthodox - 11 (40.7%)
Eastern Orthodox - 9 (33.3%)
Greek Orthodox - 0 (0%)
Russian Orthodox - 4 (14.8%)
[other nationality] Orthodox - 1 (3.7%)
Catholic - 0 (0%)
Orthodox Catholic - 0 (0%)
other way - 2 (7.4%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My faith (poll mainly for American an other "outside of" EOs)  (Read 1276 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: April 12, 2009, 03:08:48 PM »

After browsing American newssites I concluded that an average American isn't aware of the fact that Greek and Russian Orthodox are the same. They differ them and seldom use "Eastern" as an adjective to describe the Church. On the other hand when there are relations between OOs and EOs mention they are described as "Greek Orthodox" and "Armenian Orthodox" and do not point out that we aren't one Church (yet).

And question to you: what do you put on first place: nationality or faith? Do you help to get to know fellow Americans about the diversions within Orthodoxy or not?

I answer Orthodox because in Polish there isn't any diversification between "Easten" and "Oriental" without diving into theological issues.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 03:16:39 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 05:11:02 PM »

I answer "Eastern Orthodox" or "Orthodox Christian," because in the USA, when you say "Orthodox," some people understand it that you are an Orthodox Jew.

(My former prist, Fr. Chris's predecessor who is now retired, even has a joke about it. When he says that he is Orthodox and people ask him, "Are you Jewish?" - he says, "well, my boss most definitely is." Smiley )

Love never fails.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 05:21:03 PM »

^^ Smiley

I answered the same as Heorhij; Eastern Orthodox.  Mainly for the same reason, but also because when I answer Greek or Russian for example, the next question is, "Oh, are you Greek ... Russian?"  No matter how I answer that question, it will seem like an ethnic thing.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 05:33:15 PM »

I tell people Russian Orthodox.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 05:36:29 PM »

Orthodox Christian
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 04:07:25 AM »

I voted "Other way" in this poll. In earlier ones my response was always "Orthodox Catholic". Now, my reply is contextually/situationally determined by whom I am answering on each occasion.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 09:01:38 AM »

I tell then I eat alot of Lamb and Hummus, except for the fasting time, when I eat say lamb and soy hummus.

I get alot of stares. 

I'm not sure why.

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 09:05:24 AM »

I find that answering "Orthodox Christian" leads to further discussion, and for most people its the first time they hear that "Greek Orthodox, "Russian Orthodox" and "Serbian Orthodox" are actually the same Church.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
cholmes

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 11:05:56 AM »

Orthodox Christian

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 11:50:53 AM »

I find that answering "Orthodox Christian" leads to further discussion, and for most people its the first time they hear that "Greek Orthodox, "Russian Orthodox" and "Serbian Orthodox" are actually the same Church.

Don't you have any knwoledge-about-religion-classes at schools?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 02:26:48 PM »

I have to say "Eastern" otherwise people assume I am Jewish. And I can understand why they do- my first name is as Jewish as they come and according to most people I "don't look white." Even then, most people assume that Eastern Orthodox is some sort of sect of Orthodox Judaism. So I am engaged into a conversation that way. Although anytime I go anywhere in Seattle we end up talking about the fact that I am american indian. The simple question of; "What are your children's names?" leads to quite a conversation. And then, my eldest has taken to wearing her baptismal cross all the time now. That starts conversations as well. Her cross looks like this;

http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/order_product.asp?ProductNum=IZPE718

(except hers is black and we put it on a chain)

Well, actually most Arab immigrants fresh off the boat so to speak think I can't pronounce my own name so they assume I am Arabic. My husband had an interesting experience in a guard tower on his last deployment just answering the question of what his wife's name was. Fortunately he didn't end up having to actually use the round he chambered before answering the question. (alone in a guard tower with 3 Muslims that hated Jews) And they had no clue what an american indian was, so the conversation died out rather quickly.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 02:39:51 PM by Quinault » Logged
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 02:42:46 PM »

Oh, that's a pretty cross, Quinault! I've never seen one like that before.

I find that if I say "Eastern Orthodox" it's pretty hopeless; most people start up enthusiastically about how much they like jewish culture and judaism. When I say, no, we're Christians, they usually look disappointed. Have had several such experiences recently. If the person happens to be an evangelical christian they often respond with hostility and comments such as , "Oh yes? That's like Catholics?" Likely it's best to say Orthodox Christian. A friend of mine from church says it's wrong to tell people we're Orthodox Christians, because it could be a source of "temptation" to others, and that she just tells people she's a "christian".Was rather surprised to hear that, but oh well.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 02:43:50 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: