OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 09:51:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: George Carlin - Memory Eternal  (Read 5319 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« on: June 23, 2008, 08:30:21 PM »

George Carlin mourned as counterculture hero
June 23, 2008, 8:07 PM EST
By John Rogers
The Associated Press

When he shucked the coat and tie for black T-shirts and jeans, grew his hair long and began to riff about those "Seven Words You Can Never Say on TV," George Carlin became more than just the countercultural comedian.

Carlin, who died Sunday of heart failure at 71, took comedy itself in a whole new direction.

Full tribute here:  http://tv.msn.com/tv/celebritynews/george-carlin-tribute/?GT1=7703
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 08:41:07 PM »

Memory eternal!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Seamus ODonnell

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 08:58:11 PM »

You good people continually confound me at every turn!  I really enjoy most of Carlin's material but was always under the impression that Christianity was the perpetual butt of his humour which, and here's the confounding part, I didn't expect to see a Memoriam for him.

The Claidheamh Mòr of Courteous Debate
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 09:10:15 PM »

Memory eternal!

Incidentally, he's human, so we pray for him.  I liked his material too, though I found the baseball vs. football bit far too tedious.  (As far as the content... well... I like Denis Leary, too.   Tongue)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 09:12:47 PM by EofK » Logged

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 10:08:07 PM »

Memory Eternal.

Though, his brand of humour was not really my style.   Tongue

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 10:12:16 PM »

Memory eternal and Lord have mercy.

Perhaps he did mock Christianity in his routines.  That should not automatically preclude him from our prayers for the salvation of his soul.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 10:21:33 PM »

Memory eternal and Lord have mercy.

Perhaps he did mock Christianity in his routines.  That should not automatically preclude him from our prayers for the salvation of his soul.

Memory Eternal,

Also I know this might not have changed him but he despised the western concept of God that a lot of atheists I know do. They reject the western concept of God and think that the only other way is atheism instead of a different concept of God. Also I loved George Carlin's routine his one on the 10 commandments is good.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 10:28:13 PM »

Memory eternal. Lord have mercy.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 10:29:14 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 11:18:31 PM »

While we may not all agree with George Carlin's work or all of his theories and positions the man did get get people thinking.  He may have used shocking words and topics to draw the crowds but when you cut through it all there was some real philosophy in his routine.  One of my favorites was "life is a series of dogs." 

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 12:24:17 AM »

May the Lord Forgive His sin's intentional , and un-intentional.....And May His Memory Be Eternal..For there is no man that lives and sin's not....Other than our Blessed God And  And Saviour Jesus Christ......Amen...SmileyCentral.com" border="0

SmileyCentral.com" border="0
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 03:36:53 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 07:14:13 AM »

Eternal be his memory.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 09:07:38 AM »

Also I know this might not have changed him but he despised the western concept of God that a lot of atheists I know do. They reject the western concept of God and think that the only other way is atheism instead of a different concept of God. Also I loved George Carlin's routine his one on the 10 commandments is good.

So what concept of God are the atheists in the East rejecting?

-

I did not like his shock humor---with the exception of the football/baseball bit---but he certainly was good at what he did. Rest in peace.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 09:23:54 AM »

-

I did not like his shock humor---with the exception of the football/baseball bit---but he certainly was good at what he did. Rest in peace.

And I will admit, I had never even heard of the man in my life until i read this! Oh well. We must pray for all men.

I'd like to know the answer to lubeltri's question too. Awhile ago there was a discussion here on soteriology, and someone kindly posted a very interesting Orthodox video series (which was highly educational and enjoyable). However, this Orthodox priest was saying that atheists reject the horrible god portrayed by Augustinian theology etc. etc. etc. NOT the loving, kind God of Orthodox theology. Ironically, within days of watching these videos, I encountered several virulent Atheists-all Greeks and Russians-born and raised Orthodox  Shocked, who mocked me for my beliefs and Orthodox faith. This very question flashed through my mind. Sorry for the derail.  Embarrassed

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 09:59:09 AM »

What do you think? The imported Western concept of God!  Tongue

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 10:09:27 AM »

And I will admit, I had never even heard of the man in my life until i read this! Oh well. We must pray for all men.

I'd like to know the answer to lubeltri's question too. Awhile ago there was a discussion here on soteriology, and someone kindly posted a very interesting Orthodox video series (which was highly educational and enjoyable). However, this Orthodox priest was saying that atheists reject the horrible god portrayed by Augustinian theology etc. etc. etc. NOT the loving, kind God of Orthodox theology. Ironically, within days of watching these videos, I encountered several virulent Atheists-all Greeks and Russians-born and raised Orthodox  Shocked, who mocked me for my beliefs and Orthodox faith. This very question flashed through my mind. Sorry for the derail.  Embarrassed

East and West, people reject God. So many people have had bad experiences of "God" through His followers; misguided parents, teachers, whatever. I don't think that this is a Western or Eastern thing, although there are some ugly concepts of God in the West (I can't speak for the East because I have no experience of it) and I believe these concepts come from a perception of the Christian Church in history; a combination of terrible acts (ie the horrors of the Crusades, witch-hunts etc.) If people want to reject God, people calling themselves Christians have given them every excuse to do so. Some people focus only on that and never really get to the Gospel message and see Christ. In a way, can we really blame them?

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 11:54:24 AM »

May he rest in Peace.

Along with his wonderful bit on the differences between Baseball and Football, and some of his pondering of questions like:

"Why is there no blue food? I can't find blue food - I can't find the flavor of blue! I mean, green is lime; yellow is lemon; orange is orange; red is cherry; what's blue? There's no blue! Oh, they say, "Blueberries!" Uh-uh; blue on the vine, purple on the plate. There's no blue food! Where is the blue food? We want the blue food! They're keeping it from us!"

George Carlin with also be the second Mr. Conductor on "Shining Time Station"/Thomas the Tank Engine which our children adored (a family of railfans)

« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 11:54:48 AM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 12:00:47 PM »

Memory eternal.

Re the comments about atheists, it's very true - I used to be a moderator at the "Internet Infidels" board (back when I was having some doubts about my faith  Cool) and was constantly amazed at the distorted ideas about God that some "Christian" visitors to the board were using to condemn the atheists and agnostics.

If you're constantly being told -- by Christians -- that there's a wrath-filled being named "God" who is just rubbing His hands together a la "Mr. Burns", waiting eagerly for you to die so He can judge you and throw you into the eternal fires of Hell on the slightest pretext -- you might not get a very good impression of Christianity.  Wink

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 12:05:35 PM »

May George Carlin Rest in Peace

Release him from sin and grant him the freedom of your perfect peace. May our brother be with You in the glory of your kingdom on the last day.

Source for above prayer:
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 12:58:43 PM »

Memory eternal

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 02:27:25 PM »

Memory eternal.

I'll miss the guy; I loved his humor.  I thought his taking religious hucksters and folks who use it for a power trip was dead on.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 02:49:02 PM »

May the Lord Forgive His sin's intentional , and un-intentional.....And May His Memory Be Eternal..For there is no man that lives and sin's not....Other than our Blessed God And  And Saviour Jesus Christ......Amen

Amen!

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 03:10:46 PM »

You good people continually confound me at every turn!  I really enjoy most of Carlin's material but was always under the impression that Christianity was the perpetual butt of his humour which, and here's the confounding part, I didn't expect to see a Memoriam for him.

Neither did I. Huh

God bless us all.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 03:15:47 PM »

Memory eternal.

I'll miss the guy; I loved his humor.  I thought his taking religious hucksters and folks who use it for a power trip was dead on.

I cold never stomach his fouled mouthed humor. His or anyone elses.

I do not find jokes about the faith of Christ funny either. He was as a comedian to me repulsive.

I am truly very sad for him that he is dead.

Lord have mercy on his soul.

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
stewie

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 04:33:09 PM »

like all of us, he was imperfect, and battled addictions throughout his life.  I could tell from a lot of his standup that he didn't have a really good understanding of Christian theology (or, at least, the Orthodox theology that I grew up learning).  I thought he was way too rough on Christianity.  And yet, he was my favourite standup for most of my life (until Chris Rock became brilliant over the last few years).  I didn't have to agree with everything he said to find him hilarious and find his worldview refreshing.  Best of all was the way he called out the (for lack of a better term) BS that surrounds us daily. 
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 07:14:40 PM »

Re the comments about atheists, it's very true - I used to be a moderator at the "Internet Infidels" board (back when I was having some doubts about my faith  ) and was constantly amazed at the distorted ideas about God that some "Christian" visitors to the board were using to condemn the atheists and agnostics.

I can understand that. I see that kind of rabid gnashing of teeth on YouTube Comments all the time. When I was an Agnostic myself, I had Christians do the whole Judgement Day routine at me.  Roll Eyes

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 02:31:11 PM »

BS

?

Meaning.........

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 03:26:43 PM »

?

Meaning......... 

Animal feces (those of a Bull, to be more specific).  BS is used to denote useless and counter-productive information, pandering, superficial rhetoric, false information, and other similar things.

Instead of "let's cut through this fake rhetoric," or "let's go beyond this useless junk," people will say "cut the bs."

Make more sense?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 03:27:27 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 02:49:46 PM »

Animal feces (those of a Bull, to be more specific).  BS is used to denote useless and counter-productive information, pandering, superficial rhetoric, false information, and other similar things.

Instead of "let's cut through this fake rhetoric," or "let's go beyond this useless junk," people will say "cut the bs."

Make more sense?

Thanks Yes it does.

One more question:

Does the letters 'B' and 'S' actual represent two seperate words?

If so please note them along with the meanings of each.

Thanks...

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 04:31:14 PM »

Does the letters 'B' and 'S' actual represent two seperate words?
Yes.

B = bull
S = a profane word for feces, the use of which is forbidden at OC.net
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 07:13:17 PM »

Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?
Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?
How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?
Is it true that cannibals don’t eat clowns because they taste funny?
What was the best thing before sliced bread?
One nice thing about egotists: they don’t talk about other people.
Does the Little Mermaid wear an algebra?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
If God dropped acid, would he see people?
If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest drown too?
If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?
Why is it called tourist season if we can’t shoot at them?
Why is the alphabet in that order? Is it because of that song?
Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?
If the "black box" flight recorder is never damaged during a plane crash, why isn’t the whole damn airplane made out of that s...?
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected.
I’m not into working out. My philosophy is no pain, no pain.
I’m in shape. Round is a shape.
I’m desperately trying to figure out why Kamikaze pilots wore helmets.
Do illiterate people get the full effect of alphabet soup?
I’ve always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.
Ever notice when you blow in a dog’s face he gets mad at you, but when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window?
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
You have to stay in shape. My mother started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She’s 97 now and we have no idea where she is.
I have six locks on my door, all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three of them.
Why do they lock gas station restrooms?  Are they afraid someone will clean them?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 07:16:26 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 09:12:31 PM »

I never in my life Heard of him ...I never liked stand up comedian's they allway's if not mostly go for the filthy jokes,,seem's to me every thing is fair game to them........God have mercy on his soul and Gilda Radner's soul as well,
she did some raunchy stand up comedy to.....in los vegas....May God Forgive them both their Sin's ,,,and may there memory be eternal......SmileyCentral.com" border="0Never ever rent the video Gilda Radner Live in los vegas...pure filth.......
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 10:54:27 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 09:52:59 PM »

Some of his sayings were just the result of not thinking things through (or else gambling that his audience wouldn't think it through), such as the following:
Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?
Because people can also walk up to them.

If the "black box" flight recorder is never damaged during a plane crash, why isn’t the whole damn airplane made out of that s...?
Because titanium is too heavy and in order to get enough lift, we would need more thrust than we are able to engineer.

Others, however, were based on real philosophy, and those were the ones I liked:
Hmm. I'm still thinking about that one.

Still more were genuine observations of everyday life:
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
Many things that are said tell more about the speaker than the subject.

And then he had his corny puns. I liked those too.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 09:53:24 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 10:47:30 PM »

Hmm. I'm still thinking about that one.

Easy. The use of the word succeed is different in both circumstances so the sentence is still logical.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2008, 08:47:50 AM »

If there were a comedian Mt. Rushmore, who would be on it?

Mark Twain, Lenny Bruce, George Carlin,Richard Pryor, Madelyn Khan, Zero Mostel

Your picks?

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2008, 09:32:49 AM »

Yes.

B = bull
S = a profane word for feces, the use of which is forbidden at OC.net

Am I the only one who sees the humor of discussing what words are forbidden ... in a memorial to George Carlin of the "7 Words you can't say on TV" bit?  Grin

Also P.S. just FYI: [steps on soapbox] if you see any lists of jokes floating around the Net credited to him, they might not be his.  At Snopes.com (http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/carlingas.asp) he's quoted as saying
"Nothing on the Internet is mine unless it came from one of my albums, books, HBO shows, or appeared on my website."
  Also see  http://www.georgecarlin.com/home/not_carlin.txt  Thank you. [/steps off soapbox]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 09:39:54 AM by theistgal » Logged

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2008, 09:34:57 AM »

Bill Cosby for routines like "Noah" and being a kid

Ian Frazier for his "Laws Concerning Food and Drink; Household Principles; Lamentations of the Father" which is hysterical to anyone who has had small children.

I've found out that one can listen to Frazier reading his "Lamentations" on a Prairie Home Companion program from about 10 years ago here:http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/19980124/ 
Click on the link at the 28:42 mark

Ebor
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 10:49:01 AM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008, 09:58:40 AM »

And then he had his corny puns. I liked those too.

The corny pun is the stuff of teacher's jokes... of course you like those!  laugh

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2008, 10:40:35 AM »

If there were a comedian Mt. Rushmore, who would be on it?
Mark Twain, Jonathan Swift, Rowan Atkinson, William Shakespeare. Four of the funniest men ever to write and/or perform in the English language.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2008, 10:51:53 AM »

Some of his sayings were just the result of not thinking things through (or else gambling that his audience wouldn't think it through)

I think that Carlin did think things through and that he was playing with the incongruity of things then pointing things out to his audience who laugh because they might not have noticed them before.

Ebor

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2008, 11:20:04 AM »

But yet they only seem incongruous until you really stop and think about it. One of the best things about satire is that you laugh initially, then think, and then laugh some more, which makes you really consider the situation. With Carlin's "black box" joke, I laugh initially, then think about it, then think, "Boy was I dumb for laughing. Making an airplane out of titanium is a remarkably stupid idea."

But I believe you're right about Carlin's thinking it through, which is why I included the parenthetical. Carlin did have a penchant for seeing a situation in a way no one else had.

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 09:28:33 PM »

With Carlin's "black box" joke, I laugh initially, then think about it, then think, "Boy was I dumb for laughing. Making an airplane out of titanium is a remarkably stupid idea."

But I believe you're right about Carlin's thinking it through, which is why I included the parenthetical. Carlin did have a penchant for seeing a situation in a way no one else had.

Yes, except that he didn't actually *make* this particular joke, or any of the other ones on the list above; in case you missed my earlier post.  Roll Eyes

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2008, 08:58:36 AM »

Yes, except that he didn't actually *make* this particular joke, or any of the other ones on the list above; in case you missed my earlier post.  Roll Eyes
Yet when we ascribe to him things we think are funny, we set him up as being larger-than-life. This is how myths and legends are created. We've seen it with people such as George Washington and Chuck Norris. Surely Carlin is in good company.

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2008, 09:19:23 AM »

Yet when we ascribe to him things we think are funny, we set him up as being larger-than-life. This is how myths and legends are created. We've seen it with people such as George Washington and Chuck Norris. Surely Carlin is in good company.

LOL - yes, and let me be the first to start the rumor that George Carlin chopped down that cherry tree!  Grin

R.I.P., Mr. C!

Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2008, 02:25:47 PM »

I never in my life Heard of him ...I never liked stand up comedian's they allway's if not mostly go for the filthy jokes,,seem's to me every thing is fair game to them........God have mercy on his soul and Gilda Radner's soul as well,
she did some raunchy stand up comedy to.....in los vegas....May God Forgive them both their Sin's ,,,and may there memory be eternal......SmileyCentral.com" border="0Never ever rent the video Gilda Radner Live in los vegas...pure filth.......

I concur!

It amazes me that orthodox Christians want to hear the sacrilegious nonsense of these people.

To each his own I guess...

God bless the souls of the departed who knew not the true God.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2008, 05:28:12 PM »

I concur!

It amazes me that orthodox Christians want to hear the sacrilegious nonsense of these people.

To each his own I guess...

God bless the souls of the departed who knew not the true God.

People have free will.  This is a Christian teaching.  We are not to judge people.  This is also a Christian teaching.  How is it that you personally know that there are "souls of the departed who knew not the true God?  And further posts of this nature and I will lock the thread -username! section moderator

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: