OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 08:23:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seats/Pews in Orthodox Churches?  (Read 7042 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2008, 12:05:42 AM »

Umm, Arimathea, gold may be the correct vestment colour for Palm Sunday in the Greek church, but not in the Russian. Green is the colour of vestments and drapes for Palm Sunday, Pentecost, and for the feasts of prophets and holy fools. Trust me.
You don't get the dripping sarcasm in arimethea's post?
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2008, 12:09:30 AM »

I saw the sarcasm in his post all tight, Peter, but the point about the vestment colour was one I simply had to make, grumpy old soul that I am .... Tongue
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2008, 09:37:11 AM »

Umm, Arimathea, gold may be the correct vestment colour for Palm Sunday in the Greek church, but not in the Russian. Green is the colour of vestments and drapes for Palm Sunday, Pentecost, and for the feasts of prophets and holy fools. Trust me.

Why should I trust you? You are posting in this thread so I can't take you seriously because this thread must be a joke. You claim green is the color for Prophets and Palm Sunday so you do not go along with the ancient traditions of the church. Green for these feast are very modern innovations. Even more modern then pews in the church. So using green vestments for these feast are ok but pews are not. It is enough to make ones head explode.

Joseph
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2009, 12:07:36 PM »

During what moments do you (GOAs and AOAs) sit during the Divine Liturgy apart from Epistle and sermon?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 12:09:00 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2009, 02:31:42 PM »

During what moments do you (GOAs and AOAs) sit during the Divine Liturgy apart from Epistle and sermon?

They sit the whole time.  In fact, most times they just lay down on the pews and sleep.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2009, 03:41:23 PM »

Most people in Greek parishes tend to sit during the litanies and during the Communion of the clergy, when the doors of the iconostasis are shut, but you'll also find a number of people (at least in the UK) who stand throughout.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2009, 03:44:55 PM »

They sit the whole time.  In fact, most times they just lay down on the pews and sleep.

I haven't caught the joke.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2009, 04:05:37 PM »

I haven't caught the joke.

That's because if there was one, it is pretty bad.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2009, 05:38:52 PM »

Most people in Greek parishes tend to sit during the litanies and during the Communion of the clergy, when the doors of the iconostasis are shut, but you'll also find a number of people (at least in the UK) who stand throughout.

Eh, it's a regional practice.  In the US, in most of the printed books, directions tell people to sit (a) during the great litany after the commemoration of the bishop, throughout the antiphons, until the third antiphon and entrance; (b) during the Epistle; (c) during the Sermon; (d) during the completion litany after the Great Entrance.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2009, 07:13:22 PM »

ACROD also has similar sit/stand/kneel rules. I ignore them all and just stand unless it's a weekday Divine Liturgy (or Pre-sanctified).
My GOA parish prints the rules above, but half of us just stand anyway...not bad for Greeks.  Wink

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2009, 08:47:57 PM »

That's because if there was one, it is pretty bad.

Guilty as charged!
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2009, 09:21:15 PM »

ACROD also has similar sit/stand/kneel rules. I ignore them all and just stand unless it's a weekday Divine Liturgy (or Pre-sanctified).
My GOA parish prints the rules above, but half of us just stand anyway...not bad for Greeks.  Wink

Not bad at all.

I preferred our outlook at Seminary: stand when you can, sit when you need to, (on weekdays) kneel when moved to; but have the good sense to stand at some appropriate places (like the Gospel reading).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 09:21:24 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2009, 09:39:21 PM »

My sister goes to the Greek Cathedral in Richmond, VA. She says they have lights on the iconostasis that light up when people are supposed to stand, and go off when they are supposed to sit.  Cheesy

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2009, 10:05:56 PM »

Supplementing "cleveland's" #53,

it's also common in GOAA parishes to sit after the blessing after "It is truly meet...," "May the Mercy of our Great God and Saviour Jesus Christ, be with you,"  and return to standing for the recitation of The Lord's Parayer.

As to Reply #57, the oldest GOAA parish in Cleveland, Ohio has electric candle lights on either side of the Royal Entrance of the Icon Screen, which a previous presiding priest installed many years ago, when he implemented order in a rather unruly congregation, for "stand/sit" guidance; however, his successor did not use those lights for that purpose.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2009, 10:06:30 PM »

There are some chairs around in my church, but it's a small parish, and almost exclusively converts with only a few exceptions.  All of the "ethnic" parishes in the city have pews.  People stand quite a bit during the liturgy, but only those of us in our twenties and maybe thirties stand the whole time.  The high-schoolers are too bored to stand when they don't have too, and I am sympathetic for the older ones in the parish.  They deserve to sit sometimes!  They are older!
Tags: pews 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: