OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 02:26:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Theology of Icons  (Read 1432 times) Average Rating: 0
ignatios

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: June 30, 2008, 02:39:38 AM »

What is the Oriental Orthodox belief about icons?  Is it pretty much the same as that of the 7th Ecumenical Council?  What are the reasons for the stylistic features of Oriental Icons? 

Are there any theological differences between the EO and OO that are evident in their different icons?

Sorry if these questions seem redundant, or yet another person asking the same old questions you've heard before.  I tried searching for this topic, but couldn't find anything.  Old threads are welcome!

Thanks!
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 02:54:13 AM »

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,5475.0.html

This thread should give you some information on that subject.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
ignatios

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 12:25:35 PM »

That thread helped with the background, thank you!

However, I should have worded my question better.  I guess my question is this:  Are there any Oriental Orthodox theological or spiritual distinctives that show up in the icons of the respective churches?  I mean beliefs that may not be represented in Eastern Orthodox icons?  What is the significance of the aesthetic features of Oriental iconography, for instance, in the Armenian type and the Coptic type?  Is this getting too nitpicky?
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 03:56:02 PM »

I think different styles just developed in different areas.  I don't think there is any theological reason behind any differences in style.  I terms of our beliefs about icons, they are pretty much the same.

You see this a little bit even in the EO tradition.  I've noticed that there are some differences between Greek and Russian iconography, but I don't think the differences are due to any theological disagreements.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 02:33:53 PM »

A new Armenian church is being buily in Florida. It has the best iconography I have yet seen in an Armenian church.
Their website may be found here:www.sthagoparmenianchurch.org

Have a look at their photo album. It appears they have a beautiful and full liturgical life as well as an impressive building.

ignatios

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 10:18:23 AM »

Thanks guys!  It's good to have this cleared up.  Interesting how the OO and EO icons are so similar, contrary to the modern western icons of the Roman Catholics and Protestants.
Tags: icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: