OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 12:28:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buddha Statue  (Read 3326 times) Average Rating: 0
JustinianPrima
Banned
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: June 21, 2008, 02:04:05 AM »

Hi I have a question. Perhaps someone may point me in the general direction on the forum if this was already discussed. And if it was, please forgive me for repeating:

But I've noticed on a few Buddha Statues, that the Buddha is holding his right hand in a fashion freakishly close to that of the Sign of the Cross. Does this have any significance?

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 02:18:19 AM by JustinianPrima » Logged

This poster was also registered under the username "macedonia74" and had been banned from OCnet under that name.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 04:05:43 AM »

Yes, it does, but not as you think. Seems later Buddhist art was greatly affected by Hellenistic influences from Alexander's conquests in Bactria and northern India, and later, Christian art which followed.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 09:44:22 AM »

Hi I have a question. Perhaps someone may point me in the general direction on the forum if this was already discussed. And if it was, please forgive me for repeating:

But I've noticed on a few Buddha Statues, that the Buddha is holding his right hand in a fashion freakishly close to that of the Sign of the Cross. Does this have any significance?

Yes, the hand gestures have significance, but it is not related to Christianity and predates it historically.  There are a variety of mudras that is positions of the hands and fingers that have meaning in Buddhism and Hinduism.  The word means "seal" or "sign" and is from Sanskrit.

I am not Buddhist, nor an expert on the finer points of the mudra  but the right hand looks to me to be a variation on the "Teaching" or "Exposition" mudra and this is supported by the eyes being open.  The mudra in Sanskrit is Dharmachakra Mudra, translated as "Teaching Mudra; Turning the Wheel of Law Mudra" Tenbourin-in in Japanese.  The Vyakhyana Mudra; "the Exposition of the Dharma Mudra" is Setsubou-in or Seppou-in

Here is a page on mudras relating to Japanese sculpture:
http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/mudra-japan.shtml

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 10:53:04 AM »

It's not clear exactly which mudra we're seeing here, as it appears to be an atypical form. Besides the dharmachakra, it might also be the vitarka or (less probably) the karana. I'd say the statue is modern and perhaps Taiwanese, so we're getting to the point where talking about Hellenistic influences are a little beside the point.

But one can find examples:

And why? Because these came from 1st-2nd century Gandhara, which is where Alexander's attempt on India washed up! Some of the stuff from this area and period is hard on my brain, because you can almost see the Asian and Hellenistic influences fighting for position in the figures.

Some people want to claim that this influence goes as far as East as (for instance) the colossal Amida buddha of Kamakura. This strikes me as a huge stretch, as the only even vaguely Hellenistic influences I see in the latter are that it is fairly realistic and that it has the characteristic fine folding of the fabric. The posture of the meditating Amida is about as rigidly non-Hellenistic as one can get. And of course, when you start down this road you get the people who claim that Christianity is influenced by Mahayana Buddhism.

And if you see the Buddha on your plate,

EAT HIM!

(Yes, those are cupcakes)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 10:54:11 AM by Keble » Logged
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 01:12:13 PM »

Christian mudras. Show these mudras to a Tibetan Buddhist, and see what he/she says. angel

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 01:13:10 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 01:13:04 PM »

The hand position in the Orthodox form of blessing is:
Index finger extended:......................(Greek Letter "I")
Second finger slighly bent:................ (Greek Letter "C")
Thumb crossing the bent third finger:.. (Greek Letter "X")
Ring finger slightly bent:....................(Greek Letter "C")

"ICXC" is the abbreviation for "IECOYC XPICTOC" ("Jesus Christ")

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
JustinianPrima
Banned
Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 01:25:15 PM »

The hand position in the Orthodox form of blessing is:
Index finger extended:......................(Greek Letter "I")
Second finger slighly bent:................ (Greek Letter "C")
Thumb crossing the bent third finger:.. (Greek Letter "X")
Ring finger slightly bent:....................(Greek Letter "C")

"ICXC" is the abbreviation for "IECOYC XPICTOC" ("Jesus Christ")

Yes, I did notice the difference after a closer look. Thanks!
I didn't mean to excite the Buddhists Smiley
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 01:27:05 PM by JustinianPrima » Logged

This poster was also registered under the username "macedonia74" and had been banned from OCnet under that name.
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 02:32:18 PM »

I believe there was some comparison to the hand postures at http://ecumenicalbuddhism.blogspot.com if I remember correctly.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 05:53:33 PM »

Christian mudras. Show these mudras to a Tibetan Buddhist, and see what he/she says. angel
Okay, smarty pants! Kiss
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 11:16:24 AM »

Yes, I did notice the difference after a closer look. Thanks!
I didn't mean to excite the Buddhists Smiley

No excited Buddhists here. Just historical, relgious and art information provided at the drop of a post.  Wink

I am curious as to where the statue is located.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

JustinianPrima
Banned
Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 08:38:47 PM »

I am curious as to where the statue is located.

I have no idea actually. I was watching 'The Last Sumurai' yesterday and noticed a similar statue in the movie and was intrigued. Then I did a quick yahoo image search and found this.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 08:44:37 PM »

That movie was filmed in New Zealand, Japan and California and the statue you posted definitely read to me as being Japanese/Chinese in style, though I repeat that I am not an expert.  But I can see the difference between say, Indian and Japanese art for example.  Smiley  Do you recall what scenes you saw the statue in the movie?  I'm interested in checking it.

Ebor

JustinianPrima
Banned
Elder

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 08:58:26 PM »

That movie was filmed in New Zealand, Japan and California and the statue you posted definitely read to me as being Japanese/Chinese in style, though I repeat that I am not an expert.  But I can see the difference between say, Indian and Japanese art for example.  Smiley  Do you recall what scenes you saw the statue in the movie?  I'm interested in checking it.

Ebor

It was about the middle of the movie while "Nathan Algren" was being held captive by the Samurai. There was a monologue or soliloquy by Algren in his memoirs regarding the 'dicipline and spirituality' of the Samurai.

Tags: Buddha 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: