OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:27:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Placing Icons At A Grave Site  (Read 809 times) Average Rating: 0
Irenaeus07

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« on: June 30, 2008, 11:51:07 PM »

Is it ok to place an icon on a grave or on the tombstone, or is it impermissible or discouraged or disliked in anyway???
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 11:51:43 PM by Irenaeus07 » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 11:58:12 PM »

Is it ok to place an icon on a grave or on the tombstone, or is it impermissible or discouraged or disliked in anyway???

Only if the icon is somehow built into the headstone or if a shelter is constructed to protect the icon from the elements like in Greece.  Many cemeteries will not allow the construction of customized shelters for icons - check with the particular one before proceeding.
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 12:19:47 AM »

Having icons mounted on headstones is extremely common, and completely permissible within Orthodox tradition. I have seen many examples of graves of married couple, where an icon of Christ is on the husband's side of the grave, an icon of the Mother of God on the wife's. Lovely gesture, mirroring the Slavic custom of bestowing of wedding icons to a newly-married couple. In many other cases, an icon of the deceased's patron saint is used. Let us also remember that when gravesites are tended by family or friends of the departed, it is common practice to cross oneself when arriving at the grave and on leaving it, and incense is frequently burned during the time spent while the grave is being tidied, flowers arranged, or spent in contemplation. Graves also places where the trisagion/short panikhida is served by a priest, so why shouldn't icons be there?

To prevent weathering or fading of icons made of conventional materials, the simple solution is to have the icon printed onto a porcelain plaque, which will survive quite happily even if exposed to the elements. These days, it is a relatively simple process, not as expensive as it used to be, and full colour can be used. The same process has long been used to produce "permanent" photographs of the deceased.
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 12:25:55 AM »

I was told it was ok, because I was going to take 3 small lamenated icons of the Resurrection to the graves of three men that were influential in my life or were important to those close to me... (my two grandfather's and my uncle)
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 12:41:19 AM »

Another possibility, if the grave has this feature, is to place a small icon in the enclosure built into the headstone which contains the spirit lamp and other accoutrements such as matches, incense, charcoal, etc. Such an enclosure has a sliding perspex door which can be locked, and so prevent theft, as well as providing good shelter ahainst the elements for icons.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 08:37:21 AM »

I was told it was ok, because I was going to take 3 small lamenated icons of the Resurrection to the graves of three men that were influential in my life or were important to those close to me... (my two grandfather's and my uncle)
I don't believe there's anything wrong with it, but they can, like photographs, fade with time and sun exposure. A shelter is a good idea, similar to the one we have over the Cross in the back of the church.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags: icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: