OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 08:37:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apology  (Read 1827 times) Average Rating: 0
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« on: June 20, 2008, 08:02:32 AM »

Dear folks, - I apologize for crossing the line yesterday in the "Young Billy Graham" thread. My last post in the thread was, indeed, way too emotional, - I should have controlled myself better.

I do not apologize, though, for expressing my thoughts about the impression young Dr. Graham created in me. Even if these thoughts seem inane and arrogant and a witness of me being a "terrible ambassador to my faith," I still have them and I cannot help having them. I do not mean to say that Dr. Graham is a bad person, but I do mean to say that the style of his preaching in his younger years to me is cold, cruel, inhumane. That's all.

Again, my sincere apologies for some overly emotional messages.

Love never fails.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 08:08:20 AM »

Thank you for a wonderful example of what being a Christian human is about Heorhij.
And you are right. Our opinions are just that- opinions.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 08:19:36 AM »

Thank you, Heorhij, you are very honourable and courageous to apologise. But I think most of us understood that you were commenting on Dr Graham's preaching style and not assasinating his character. 

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 08:54:53 AM »

Thanks, George. For the record, that kind of preaching style is not my thing either.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 09:13:39 AM »

Thank you, George. Your humility and sincerity are shining examples for all of us. If we could be half the Christian you are, I think we'll do all right.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 09:54:04 AM »

Thanks, George.  And may God forgive us all.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 09:57:01 AM »

Thank you, George, for all that you do here and elsewhere!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 09:57:26 AM »

Thank you, George. Your humility and sincerity are shining examples for all of us. If we could be half the Christian you are, I think we'll do all right.

Well said, and I agree completely.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 09:58:11 AM »

Most definitely.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Seamus ODonnell

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 09:01:06 PM »

Not as a Christian, but as a man bound by civility (which perhaps was lacking in my post towards you) and humility do I accept your apology AND counter it with an apology of my own.  Heohorij, your avatar (along with the many, many posts you've offered) displays a very kind person, who, upon further reflection, actually contradicts my previous assertion- I think you might be a greater ambassador for your faith than perhaps many of us realize- certainly what I had previously (and quite erroneously) had envisioned.  I still find the post in question to be very bizarre, but I realize that all of us have our idiosyncratic rhythms; I know that I have more than a few.  I also know that the post in question is not a true portrait of your character and so, dear sir, I hope that you (along with the rest of the OCnet gang that I have offended) can perhaps see your way in to pardoning my own faults.  And -green dot warning aside- I offer this on my own heartfelt initiative.

Respectfully,
Seamus O'Donnell

The Claidheamh Mòr of Courteous Debate
livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 09:13:42 PM »

Dear folks, - I apologize for crossing the line yesterday in the "Young Billy Graham" thread. My last post in the thread was, indeed, way too emotional, - I should have controlled myself better.

Again, my sincere apologies for some overly emotional messages.

George, just consider it your "Pulp Fiction" moment! Wink  Your emotion and honesty about them is a refreshing thing! God bless you friend. silouan
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 09:14:05 PM by livefreeordie » Logged
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 09:34:25 PM »

You didn't upset or offend me in the least. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. You've always been the epitome of kindness and compassion in my books! Thanks for your good example, George!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: