OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 09:27:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer with Heretics  (Read 2212 times) Average Rating: 0
Cyprianus

Faith: Orthodox

« on: June 19, 2008, 06:47:03 PM »

I have been to an Orthodox funeral where an Anglican priest read the Gospel.  I remember thinking at the time that, as a layman, having received the grace of God in Baptism and the charisma proper to my calling in the Church through Chrismation, it would not be proper for me to do this, and wondering why somebody who confesses a different faith and remains outside the Church could be invited to do this.  I understand that there was pastoral reason for his being present and in some way involved in the care of the family after death but I do not not see why he was assigned the liturgical role of an Orthodox deacon for at least part of the funeral service.

I have also, more recently, been to what was billed as an evening of performances of music, poetry and so forth, from Anglican and Orthodox traditions, only to find that joint prayers had been added to the end.  Needless to say, I ended up sitting there, feeling very uncomfortable, but not joining in.

What are others' experiences of such things and what do others think of the participation of Orthodox people in this sort of thing?  There is an article here about this.  What do you think?

Pax,
Cyprianus

Thou didst renounce magic for the knowledge of God and didst become a wise healer for the world. Together with Justina thou dost cure those who honour thee: with her pray to Christ our God the Lover of mankind that He may save our souls!
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 06:57:08 PM »

Are your questions directed at the Orthodox posters, or those you call heretics?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 07:02:37 PM »

I think this thread touched on that subject:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,15509.html#top

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 07:08:17 PM »

Not much that you can do about things like weddings and funerals; if you're there, you're there. I've not had any experiences with this sort of thing yet.
Cyprianus

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 07:23:22 PM »

Are your questions directed at the Orthodox posters, or those you call heretics?

Ozgeorge, please forgive me if I have worded something badly.  I have not called anybody a heretic and I apologise if by omission this was not clear.  The expression "pray with heretics" is one that is not infrequently used as a reference to at least one of the canons dealing with this subject.  I used it solely as a title of the thread, assuming that it would be a readily-recognised point of reference.  You will see that my own opening post made no reference to "heretics".  Perhaps I ought to have put the title of the thread in quotation marks to highlight the intended meaning but it simply did not occur to me.

Thank you, Salpy.  I shall look at that thread presently.

You're right, Asteriktos, of course. It does put us in a difficult position, though, where we can only adopt a humble attitude and ask God's mercy.  It would be better, I think, if such temptations were not placed before us in the first place.

Pax,
Cyprianus.

Thou didst renounce magic for the knowledge of God and didst become a wise healer for the world. Together with Justina thou dost cure those who honour thee: with her pray to Christ our God the Lover of mankind that He may save our souls!
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 08:16:08 PM »

I have been to an Orthodox funeral where an Anglican priest read the Gospel.

Was this funeral held in a canonical Orthodox Church or was it held in a non-canonical Orthodox Church which allows, practically, anyone to read the Gospel?

Edited out extra text.
Clarification: The term "non-canonical Orthodox Church" is not intended to implicate a specific non-canonical Orthodox Church other than the ones which allow anyone to read the Gospel.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 08:32:39 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
Cyprianus

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 08:20:02 PM »

Was this funeral held in a canonical Orthodox Church or was it held in a non-canonical Orthodox Church which allows, practically, anyone to read the Gospel?

The priest there is a friend of mine and I wish not to get anybody into any trouble, so I shall only say that the parish is under the Patriarchate of Antioch.  I hope you don't find me too evasive in my answer.

Pax,
Cyprian

prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 08:27:09 PM »

The priest there is a friend of mine and I wish not to get anybody into any trouble, so I shall only say that the parish is under the Patriarchate of Antioch.  I hope you don't find me too evasive in my answer.

Pax,
Cyprian

Ask your bishop.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 08:27:29 PM »

^^ Was this Anglican priest serving in the altar or did he come up from the congregation to read the Gospel?  Perhaps your friend received some permission from a supervising Bishop to allow a non-Orthodox priest to read the Gospel.

Edited to add another caret to refer to the post
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 08:28:07 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
Tags: prayer ecumenism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: