OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 10:55:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox monastery for women founded in Uganda  (Read 1081 times) Average Rating: 0
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« on: March 15, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »

See here:
http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2011/03/first-orthodox-monastery-in-uganda.html

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 03:12:11 PM »

Pope Theodore also appointed Fr. Innocent of the Nairobi cathedral as his representative in South Sudan to establish the Alexandrian Orthodox Church there! Glory to God for all things!

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 03:46:17 PM »

That notes statees that it's the only one Monastery in Africa but what about St. Savvas in Cairo?
ndigila

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Alexandria (Archdiocese of Kenya)

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 05:53:53 PM »

Pope Theodore also appointed Fr. Innocent of the Nairobi cathedral as his representative in South Sudan to establish the Alexandrian Orthodox Church there! Glory to God for all things!
This is great news!  Is there a link you can provide?

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 07:00:09 PM »

That confused me too Michał as it's completely inaccurate :-). In addition to St. Sabbas' in Alexandria there's St. George's in Old Cairo, two monasteries in Tanzania under the Metropolis of Mwanza, and another monastery in Kenya under the Coptic Orthodox Church. I think there's also a monastery or skete in South Africa, but it may have closed since its founders death (?).

And then of course there are a host of monasteries under the Coptic, Ethiopian, and Eritrean Orthodox Churches in Egypt and the Horn of Africa :-).

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 10:07:37 PM »

That confused me too Michał as it's completely inaccurate :-). In addition to St. Sabbas' in Alexandria there's St. George's in Old Cairo, two monasteries in Tanzania under the Metropolis of Mwanza, and another monastery in Kenya under the Coptic Orthodox Church. I think there's also a monastery or skete in South Africa, but it may have closed since its founders death (?).

And then of course there are a host of monasteries under the Coptic, Ethiopian, and Eritrean Orthodox Churches in Egypt and the Horn of Africa :-).

The writer evidently doesn't consider non-Chalcedonians Orthodox.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 11:21:15 PM »

His loss :-). Even so, there are the monasteries in Egypt and Tanzania plus two Byzantine monasteries in South Africa - one under the Greeks (http://ptaisp.co.za/orthodoxjohannesburg/content/view/32/50/) and one that was under the Cyprianites, but has been received either under the Greeks or the Serbs (not sure which) that will be revived as a women's monastery (http://khanya.wordpress.com/2008/10/22/serbian-bishop-visits-south-african-monastic-sites/). That last article also mentions a skete, presumably of Serbian heritage as well.

Oh, there is also at least one (and possibly several?) monasteries in the DRC. It's been forever since I read about them and it was in print format, but even so they're there :-). Glory to God that Uganda finally has a monastery as well though! It's a joy to read about. God willing, Kenya's Chalcedonians will be next!

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 11:27:47 PM »

Perhaps it was simply an innocent mistake?? Or a mistranslation?? Maybe the article really meant "the first monastery dedicated to St Mary"??

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 11:31:05 PM »

I'm sure it was. Americans often speak of Africa as though it were a single country - it's not particularly surprising that someone would think a new monastery is the first one :-).

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 03:29:29 AM »

I'm sure it was. Americans often speak of Africa as though it were a single country - it's not particularly surprising that someone would think a new monastery is the first one :-).

Actually the mistranslation seems to be on the Patriarchate website. Google Translate reads that it says "first monastery in Africa." Given that I am sure Mr Sanidopoulos knows Greek, I am sure he would have read the original Greek properly. So the error is on the Patriarchate website.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 11:00:40 AM »

But Greeks don't make mistakes...

kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 11:18:25 AM »

I'm sure it was just a typo - they probably meant to write that it's the first monastery in Uganda, which it is.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 03:56:40 PM »

Perhaps the first women's monastery?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 04:02:45 PM »

One of the Tanzanian Orthodox monasteries is for women, while one or two of the ones in the Congo were for women as well.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: