OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 04:26:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethiopian Orthodox Church confused about some thing's  (Read 3467 times) Average Rating: 0
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« on: June 19, 2008, 03:17:57 AM »

I was viewing some Ethiopean Orthodox Holy Liturgy's on u-tub..who's who what do the greek style kamilavkas signify ,and the turban's ,the crown looking hats..some are different color ,,does that mean different rank's of the clergy...it's confusing to me who's a bishop and who's priest..and does the deacon have the same or similar role as in a eastern orthodox church...i know that the Ethiopean orthodox patriarch wears a Crown Miter like a eastern bishop...but do other ethiopean bishop's wear a crown miter when there officiating at a services..SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 02:11:13 PM »

Deacons:
Please note my avatar which has a an archdeacon in the large crown (not hat) and the ornate cape (Qa'bah). The sub deacon is in front holding the umbrella. The archedeacon during the divine liturgy and church services in general carries a large processional cross. Archdeacon must wear a crown (Aq'lil) during all church services. Lower rank deacons may wear a crown as an option for special occassions.

Sometimes the processional cross may be carried by a preist or subdeacon for different reasons; but it is formally carried by the archdeacon. Vestments vary. No formal reason. The feast of the Holy Virgin Mary Mother of God may have all clergy in blue and gold or purple and gold if such vestments are available. All white is worn for resurrection (easter) if possible.

Priests:
Same as deacons in terms of varying colors of vestments and crowns (not hats). The vestment is constructed  slightly different form the deacons which is hard to detect from a photo. The vestment is made in the shape of a cross. This is the 'strips' you may see flowing from the robes. Bishops where he same style as well but with a much heavier brockade usually with special embroidered crosses and prayers. The bishops also wear brocade capes. The capes are made with very intricate brocade. The bishops wear also the 'medallions' ( sorry I donot know the names of these neck icons).

Turbans are worn by clergyman who are very well trained in the highest degrees of liturgical chants, mesmurs etc. The wearer may be a priest or a 'mier'egay'tah'. We also have men that we call be'tah'wee which may at times wear a sort of turban.

Deacons have the same responsibility as in the "eastern church". In Ethiopia we use also the 'tunic' and 'strap' type vestment found in the eastern church an the coptic. The archdeaocn always serves the blood. WE do not use the same rank manners with the 'strap' (Sorry I do not know the name of this) as is done in the eastern church and the coptic. If the deacon is allowed to use this style the 'strap' (.....baath'ra'sheal in coptic I believe) is worn across the back and down the front for an archdeacon (not across the shoulder to one side as done elsewhere). Deacons who are allowed to use this style and are not archdeacons wear a white tunic or a more brocade type tunic if approved.

There is alot more to these points but I thought I would try to offer you something to start with.

I hope this helped.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 03:06:47 PM »

Deacons:
Please note my avatar which has a an archdeacon in the large crown (not hat) and the ornate cape (Qa'bah). The sub deacon is in front holding the umbrella. The archedeacon during the divine liturgy and church services in general carries a large processional cross. Archdeacon must wear a crown (Aq'lil) during all church services. Lower rank deacons may wear a crown as an option for special occassions.

Sometimes the processional cross may be carried by a preist or subdeacon for different reasons; but it is formally carried by the archdeacon. Vestments vary. No formal reason. The feast of the Holy Virgin Mary Mother of God may have all clergy in blue and gold or purple and gold if such vestments are available. All white is worn for resurrection (easter) if possible.

Priests:
Same as deacons in terms of varying colors of vestments and crowns (not hats). The vestment is constructed  slightly different form the deacons which is hard to detect from a photo. The vestment is made in the shape of a cross. This is the 'strips' you may see flowing from the robes. Bishops where he same style as well but with a much heavier brockade usually with special embroidered crosses and prayers. The bishops also wear brocade capes. The capes are made with very intricate brocade. The bishops wear also the 'medallions' ( sorry I donot know the names of these neck icons).

Turbans are worn by clergyman who are very well trained in the highest degrees of liturgical chants, mesmurs etc. The wearer may be a priest or a 'mier'egay'tah'. We also have men that we call be'tah'wee which may at times wear a sort of turban.

Deacons have the same responsibility as in the "eastern church". In Ethiopia we use also the 'tunic' and 'strap' type vestment found in the eastern church an the coptic. The archdeaocn always serves the blood. WE do not use the same rank manners with the 'strap' (Sorry I do not know the name of this) as is done in the eastern church and the coptic. If the deacon is allowed to use this style the 'strap' (.....baath'ra'sheal in coptic I believe) is worn across the back and down the front for an archdeacon (not across the shoulder to one side as done elsewhere). Deacons who are allowed to use this style and are not archdeacons wear a white tunic or a more brocade type tunic if approved.

There is alot more to these points but I thought I would try to offer you something to start with.

I hope this helped.

Thank you Fr.Deacon Amdetsion..For the explanation im still confused some ..here in the city of chicago in south chicago a south side neighborhood at 95 or 99 and comercial ave..we serbians had a church St. Archangel Michel that was sold to the Ethiopean orthodox ..and the serbs moved and build a bigger beautiful byzatine orthodox church in lansing ill. 187 south stony island  ....im going to go there to the ethiopean orthodox church soon and learn and  ask some question.also to attend the holy service....SmileyCentral.com" border="0
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 03:09:35 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 04:15:11 PM »

Stashko

I think this thread explains some things you are asking about:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13908.html#lastPost

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 04:20:31 PM »

Deacon Amde,

Thank you for the explanation.

The 'strap' you mention toward the end of your post is called "oorar" in Armenian.  Our deacons wear them on their left shoulders, although sometimes you see it worn diagonally like you described.  In English I think it is called a stole, but I'm not sure.  Does anyone out there know what it is called in English?  I guess it is one of those words you never say in English, but I think it is "stole."

franthonyc

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA Metropolis of Detroit

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 05:48:24 PM »

I assume you're talking about the Orarion, which is what the Deacons in the Eastern (Byzantine) Orthodox tradition wear, over their left shoulder. The similarity with "oorar" in Armenian makes me think we're talking about the same thing.

Ὁράριον is the Greek term, but it's all I've heard used in English. It actually comes from the Latin verb "oro", which means "to pray, supplicate, entreat." So it means, more or less, "the prayer thing," or, if you will, the "prayer scarf/band/strap." Hence why the deacon holds it aloft as he intones the petitions, as it represents his particular office in voicing the prayers of the people.

Τῷ μεγάλῳ χρίεται μύρῳ καὶ χειρονεῖται βασιλεὺς καὶ αὐτοκράτωρ τῶν Ῥωμαίων, πάντων δηλαδὴ τῶν χριστιανῶν...οὐδὲν οὖν ἔνι καλὸν, υἱέ μου, ἵνα λέγῃς, ὅτι ἐκκλησίαν ἔχομεν, οὐχὶ βασιλέα, οὐκ ἔνι δυνατὸν εἰς τοὺς χριστιανοὺς, ἔκκλησίαν ἔχειν καὶ βασιλέα οὐκ ἔχειν. – EP Anthony to Basil of Moscow c. 1395
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 07:07:07 PM »

Thank you!  And welcome to the forum!

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 11:08:42 PM »

Thank you Brother for the link ....  I think it will be easier for to understand when i go to the church in person and ask questions maybe point some thing's out that i don't understand....and again i also want to thank Fr.Deacon for his reply some of the names of the clerical vestment's and what's worn on the head   ,there names in the ethiopean language  are difficult for me to understand ,..the Holy Liturgy is Magnificent also hymn's and chant's....From what  iv see on u-tub......SmileyCentral.com" border="0

SmileyCentral.com" border="0Blessed Lord And Saviour Jesus Christ Have Mercy Upon Us Sinner's...AminSmileyCentral.com" border="0SmileyCentral.com" border="0

Tags: Ethiopian Orthodox Church diversity in practice vestments clerical dress head coverings 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: