OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 12:25:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Letterboxing  (Read 1906 times) Average Rating: 0
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« on: June 18, 2008, 02:56:31 PM »

Does anyone here do letterboxing?

http://letterboxing.org/

I think I am going to start doing this with my kids. Some of the clues are really hard! But I think it would be a great activity for the kids and I. And any excuse my husband has to take us all hiking is a good one in his opinion laugh
livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 03:06:25 PM »

I've never done it but it sounds like fun.  Just read a book with a bizarre letterbox race in it, David Morrell's Scavengers.  It's a good read if you like a little bloody suspense and action.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:55:49 PM »

This looks very interesting.  Thanks for posting the link.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 03:17:09 PM »

My son-in-law, who works in the evening is using it as an activity with three of my Grandkids and they are having  a blast.  Reading the clues, and then finding the box, leaving their stanp in the book there. They have been doing it all June since school let out.  What a great way to bond with your kids and have an inexpensive  activity for everyone.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 04:08:59 PM »

One of my best friends used to do something similar to this using a GPS device called "Geocaching".  The boxes would normally have a number of little trinkets or something and the idea is to take one out and put one of your own in. 

This looks like lots of fun.  My wife said again she wanted to get out into the sun more this summer and this might be a neat way to do it.  I love searching for things, as well.  While it may be geared towards people with children, "big kids" such as myself would enjoy this as well.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags: children's activities 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: