Author Topic: Firefox 3.0  (Read 3326 times)

Offline arimethea

• Getting too old for this
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Does anyone really care what you think?
Firefox 3.0
« on: June 17, 2008, 06:44:06 PM »
Anyone else down it?

Only complaint is that they still don't have a button or right click to open a new tab.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 06:44:47 PM by arimethea »
Joseph

Offline Friar Tuck

Re: Firefox 3.0
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 06:49:25 PM »
Got it on both my iMac and MacBook. No complaints so far other than it did not bring my bookmarks over properly. I had back them up before the upgrade, so I was able to install those quickly. Other than that no problems.

Offline Simayan

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 06:53:05 PM »
Using it on a new laptop, and no problems yet.
"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 06:58:36 PM »
Using it on a new laptop, and no problems yet.

Ditto.
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline wynd

• High Elder
  • Transfiguration
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 07:11:31 PM »
Only complaint is that they still don't have a button or right click to open a new tab.

Step 1: Right click on Navigation toolbar (the one with back, forward, home buttons) -> Customize
Step 2: Drag the "New Tab" button to wherever you want it.
Step 3: Rejoice :D

(or just press Ctrl+T)

Offline arimethea

• Getting too old for this
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Does anyone really care what you think?
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 09:21:48 PM »
Step 1: Right click on Navigation toolbar (the one with back, forward, home buttons) -> Customize
Step 2: Drag the "New Tab" button to wherever you want it.
Step 3: Rejoice :D

(or just press Ctrl+T)
;D Yes!!
Joseph

Offline wynd

• High Elder
  • Transfiguration
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 08:10:49 PM »
;D Yes!!

I probably shouldn't tell you that that functionality has been there for years  :P

Offline _Seraphim_

• High Elder
  • May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis
    • OrthodoxMysteries
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 06:46:04 PM »
"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 07:50:34 PM »
I didn't know this had been released yet. I've been using the #&%$ Internet Explorer ever since I got that #&%$ Vista. My precious autosave feature, you've returned!
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 10:54:24 PM »
Ooh yay, Firefox works again!  Ahhhh... it's like having a working computer again.   
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 08:45:42 AM »
^ Careful; too much praise, and we may see a "required security update." ;D
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 09:13:46 AM »
^ Careful; too much praise, and we may see a "required security update." ;D

Well, Fark mentioned that someone already found a serious security issue with it, so I won't get too excited.   :laugh:
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 09:20:33 AM »
I didn't see that thread. You can bet though that MS, not unlike the disease it's named after, wants to cripple all parts of a computer that actually work. Win98, anyone?

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 09:34:14 AM »
^My first computer ran (occasionally) on Win98.  It crashed so often that I had to store every file on floppies in case it had another meltdown that day.  I didn't have a CD burner or I would have just put everything on those.  Ugh. 

Here's the link to the Firefox security thing.

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »
Mmm hmm. And it blocked out the spiritual ancestor of Firefox, Netscape Navigator--which sparked an antitrust lawsuit.

Interesting with the security deal. I appreciate that the site does not divulge the details of vulnerabilities. Geraldo Rivera could learn something from them.

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 12:57:17 PM »
Mmm hmm. And it blocked out the spiritual ancestor of Firefox, Netscape Navigator--which sparked an antitrust lawsuit.

Interesting with the security deal. I appreciate that the site does not divulge the details of vulnerabilities. Geraldo Rivera could learn something from them.

When did MS do that? I've been "into" PCs since the 'beginning' (and mini's, mainframes from the 1960s) and don't recall MS locking out any competitive product - integrating their own browser at the OS level, yes, but that's it. Always able to run Netscape and Mosaic.
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 01:44:09 PM »
Perhaps that was it. We ran Netscape on Win95. We didn't have Win98, so I don't have any firsthand knowledge of the issue. I do know, however, that Firefox 1 and 2 would not work on Vista. They would load just fine, but they could not be opened. Vista wouldn't even offer an explanation as to why. Everything would seem to run just fine, but that Firefox wouldn't run. Firefox 3 seems to be just fine, though.

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 01:58:23 PM »
Perhaps that was it. We ran Netscape on Win95. We didn't have Win98, so I don't have any firsthand knowledge of the issue. I do know, however, that Firefox 1 and 2 would not work on Vista. They would load just fine, but they could not be opened. Vista wouldn't even offer an explanation as to why. Everything would seem to run just fine, but that Firefox wouldn't run. Firefox 3 seems to be just fine, though.

I do recall running Navigator on my Win98, but I had a hard time getting any updates for it.  That's probably because I had dial-up, too.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 02:11:11 PM »

Firefox 1 & 2 had to be run as Administrator under Vista due to Vista's security policies and the Firefox team not coding earlier versions of Firefox to work within Vista's parameters:

Firefox 2 and Vista Caveats

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 02:51:10 PM »
I am running as an administrator. Oh well, now that I have 3, my troubles are over.

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 02:56:03 PM »
Administrator doesn't seem to mean much to Vista.