OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 10:20:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox 3.0  (Read 3159 times) Average Rating: 0
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« on: June 17, 2008, 06:44:06 PM »

Anyone else down it?

Only complaint is that they still don't have a button or right click to open a new tab.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 06:44:47 PM by arimethea » Logged

Joseph
Friar Tuck

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 06:49:25 PM »

Got it on both my iMac and MacBook. No complaints so far other than it did not bring my bookmarks over properly. I had back them up before the upgrade, so I was able to install those quickly. Other than that no problems.
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 06:53:05 PM »

Using it on a new laptop, and no problems yet.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 06:58:36 PM »

Using it on a new laptop, and no problems yet.

Ditto.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 07:11:31 PM »

Only complaint is that they still don't have a button or right click to open a new tab.

Step 1: Right click on Navigation toolbar (the one with back, forward, home buttons) -> Customize
Step 2: Drag the "New Tab" button to wherever you want it.
Step 3: Rejoice Cheesy

(or just press Ctrl+T)
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 09:21:48 PM »

Step 1: Right click on Navigation toolbar (the one with back, forward, home buttons) -> Customize
Step 2: Drag the "New Tab" button to wherever you want it.
Step 3: Rejoice Cheesy

(or just press Ctrl+T)
Grin Yes!!

Joseph
wynd
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 08:10:49 PM »

Grin Yes!!

I probably shouldn't tell you that that functionality has been there for years  Tongue
_Seraphim_
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 06:46:04 PM »

Firefox vs Internet Explorer

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 07:50:34 PM »

I didn't know this had been released yet. I've been using the #&%$ Internet Explorer ever since I got that #&%$ Vista. My precious autosave feature, you've returned!

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 10:54:24 PM »

Ooh yay, Firefox works again!  Ahhhh... it's like having a working computer again.   

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 08:45:42 AM »

^ Careful; too much praise, and we may see a "required security update." Grin

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 09:13:46 AM »

^ Careful; too much praise, and we may see a "required security update." Grin

Well, Fark mentioned that someone already found a serious security issue with it, so I won't get too excited.   laugh

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 09:20:33 AM »

I didn't see that thread. You can bet though that MS, not unlike the disease it's named after, wants to cripple all parts of a computer that actually work. Win98, anyone?

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 09:34:14 AM »

^My first computer ran (occasionally) on Win98.  It crashed so often that I had to store every file on floppies in case it had another meltdown that day.  I didn't have a CD burner or I would have just put everything on those.  Ugh. 

Here's the link to the Firefox security thing.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »

Mmm hmm. And it blocked out the spiritual ancestor of Firefox, Netscape Navigator--which sparked an antitrust lawsuit.

Interesting with the security deal. I appreciate that the site does not divulge the details of vulnerabilities. Geraldo Rivera could learn something from them.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 12:57:17 PM »

Mmm hmm. And it blocked out the spiritual ancestor of Firefox, Netscape Navigator--which sparked an antitrust lawsuit.

Interesting with the security deal. I appreciate that the site does not divulge the details of vulnerabilities. Geraldo Rivera could learn something from them.

When did MS do that? I've been "into" PCs since the 'beginning' (and mini's, mainframes from the 1960s) and don't recall MS locking out any competitive product - integrating their own browser at the OS level, yes, but that's it. Always able to run Netscape and Mosaic.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 01:44:09 PM »

Perhaps that was it. We ran Netscape on Win95. We didn't have Win98, so I don't have any firsthand knowledge of the issue. I do know, however, that Firefox 1 and 2 would not work on Vista. They would load just fine, but they could not be opened. Vista wouldn't even offer an explanation as to why. Everything would seem to run just fine, but that Firefox wouldn't run. Firefox 3 seems to be just fine, though.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 01:58:23 PM »

Perhaps that was it. We ran Netscape on Win95. We didn't have Win98, so I don't have any firsthand knowledge of the issue. I do know, however, that Firefox 1 and 2 would not work on Vista. They would load just fine, but they could not be opened. Vista wouldn't even offer an explanation as to why. Everything would seem to run just fine, but that Firefox wouldn't run. Firefox 3 seems to be just fine, though.

I do recall running Navigator on my Win98, but I had a hard time getting any updates for it.  That's probably because I had dial-up, too.

SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 02:11:11 PM »

Firefox 1 & 2 had to be run as Administrator under Vista due to Vista's security policies and the Firefox team not coding earlier versions of Firefox to work within Vista's parameters:

Firefox 2 and Vista Caveats
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 02:51:10 PM »

I am running as an administrator. Oh well, now that I have 3, my troubles are over.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 02:56:03 PM »

Administrator doesn't seem to mean much to Vista. 

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: