OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 01:54:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book reccommendations  (Read 589 times) Average Rating: 0
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« on: June 14, 2008, 06:31:31 PM »

My husband and I are trying to expand our classic lit library. We have a few (I won't bother to list them all as it would be fairly long and I need to fold laundry) but we would like to add to our collection.

My husband will have a good amount of free time to read when he is overseas and I want to send him a 2 new books about every two to four weeks, one theological one that is more "fun." So, "Heart of Darkness" or other really sad/melancholy/dark books won't be a good idea. You can list them, just please preface that they are dark so they can be read in about 2 years after he is back and we are "happier." Roll Eyes

Last time he was deployed he was desperate enough for reading material that he actually read a "mens magazine," I think it was FHM or some other mag like that. Not to insult those that read those mags, but when you are surrounded by cussing and toilet humor 24/7 you want something a little more mentally stimulating. And it would be nice if he doesn't have to have a cussing jar when he gets home laugh The cussing is in his control, but having books to take you out of your surroundings helps tremendously.

And if you list a book that has many various printings, (I.E the Brothers K has many versions in English, some better or worse than others) if you could list your favorite one that would be nice.

Theological book recommendations are welcome. He is taking Philokalia volumes 1-4 with him and his bible. He can't take a great deal of books with him since he is limited to a certain poundage of stuff. I can ship him as much as I want, he just can't take it with him.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 06:39:50 PM by Quinault » Logged
Trudy

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 09:12:00 PM »

My husband will have a good amount of free time to read when he is overseas and I want to send him a 2 new books about every two to four weeks, one theological one that is more "fun."

I would suggest the following and they are ones that can be read over and over again:
1)  On Prayer by Archimandrite Sophrony (Sakharov):  ISBN - 0-88141-194-9
2)  We Shall See Him As He Is by Archimandrite Sophrony (Sakharov):  ISBN - 0-9512786-4-9
3)  Saint Silouan by Archimandrite Sophrony (Sakharov):  ISBN - 0-951-2786-8-1

For casual reading, if he likes sci fi/fantasy, I would recommend Katherine Kurtz's Deryni Series.  At this point I think there are 4 sets of 3 books each.  I really enjoyed them.  Just google the series name and her website will kick up.

Athanasia

He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?  Micah 6:8
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 01:30:27 PM »

I would definitely recommend the American classics: Mark Twain (anything - actually everything), Hemingway (every single little bit - all short stories, all novels), Arthur Miller, J.D. Salinger... that, I think, would be a nice contrast to what you call "toilet humor 24/7."

Ahhh... the American literature is one of the very best in the whole world. It's strange that Americans don't read it anymore...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 01:31:00 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: