OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 05:50:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Extreme Pilgrim" BBC Series  (Read 5851 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: June 16, 2008, 03:32:35 PM »

The BBC has recently broadcast a series known as "Extreme Pilgrim" which revolves around an Anglican priest's pursuit to experience the world's "mystical religions" (whatever that means). One episode concerned his journey to St Antony's Coptic Orthodox Monastery near the Red Sea and in particular his experience with a hermit there known as Abba Lazarus--an anglo-saxon Australian convert to Coptic Orthodoxy.

There does not seem to be much in the way of online video footage, apart from this rather lacking preview that I found on youtube.com: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGwNBpU7t_4

I was wandering if anyone has actually seen the entire episode and if so, whether they could give a small review and commentary on it.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 01:27:40 PM »

Wow, that looks really interesting. I would like to see that episode also.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 06:56:26 PM »

Thanks for posting, EA! It certainly does look interesting! I'll watch it properly when I get home.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Aidan

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 02:51:49 PM »

Yes I saw the whole thing.

I am normally a critical rather uncharitable person so I was not in sympathy with the take-him-self-so- seriously tv parson. However he approached the monastery the hard way on camel back. The camel drivers proved to be interesting. All the young drivers wanted to be car owners.

Abba Lazarus's hermitage was fascinating just above the monastery. He helped our Anglican friend to adopt the right prayer postures and gave him the sort of advice you would expect. There was a period when Abba Lazarus left him which I found fairly uninteresting.

Well I didn't take much in,did I? In brief there wasn't enough of the hermit. That would have suited me better than our Anglican spiritual tourist (I'm one myself but unpaid)

In Christ
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 06:01:56 PM »

Dear Aiden,

I managed to find a way to view the entirety of this episode myself, and can’t help but agree with many of your sentiments.

As you suggest, the segment was more focused on the personal journey and experience of Fr Peter, the Anglican Vicar, than it was on Coptic monasticism or Abba Lazarus, the Coptic hermit. And, as you note, that was a rather ‘uninteresting’ focus. The only moment I was actually interested in anything Fr Peter did or said, was when, after what seemed like an unpleasant 1-2 weeks for him in solitary prayer on the mountain, he expressed that he was beginning to love it to the point that it scared him. Not only was he generally a rather unenlightening character, but, as you may recall, some of his remarks were just plain unwelcome e.g. his attempt to rationalise Orthodox demonology by asserting that demons are “something within all of us.” (Btw, I should point out that despite the translated transcript displayed on the screen, the head of the Bedouins never actually said “The demons are in our imagination”—he was talking about the effect of permitting negative thoughts to brew inside one’s head, he did not even mention the word ‘demon’)

The Bedouins were charming, and though a far world away from the average Egyptian life, they typify that gentle hospitality and light-heartedness that generally runs in the veins of the Egyptian people (Christian and Muslim). I did feel like too much valuable time was wasted on his journey across the desert though.

Ultimately, the undisputable highlights of the episode were those very few instances when the spotlight was on Abba Lazarus. It is clear that this man is remarkably holy and that wisdom pours from his tongue like a stream of honey. His childlike gentleness and friendliness completely drew me in. I was also rather touched by his genuine love for Fr. Peter and his earnest concern for his spiritual welfare. There is no chance that I am ever going to leave Egypt next time I visit before having the opportunity to meet and speak with him.

From what I gather, Abba Lazarus was an atheist professor of philosophy from Tasmania who was very attached to his mother. When his mother departed, this left a gaping hole in his heart. During his grief, he was told by someone to adopt the Virgin Mary as his mother. He found an icon of the Virgin and asked her whether it was true what he was told i.e. whether she could truly be a mother to him. The icon audibly affirmed. His first encounter with Christianity was with Roman Catholicism; eventually he turned to Orthodoxy but I have not been able to gather anything about what lead to his conversion. After his conversion however, he was deeply drawn to the monastic life, and upon hearing news that H.H. Pope Shenouda III was in the local area wanted to ask H.H. directly about the matter. He went to an event in which H.H. was present but was too shy to push through the crowd and approach H.H. Finally, one of his friends forcefully pushed him through until he actually bumped into H.H. As soon as H.H. turned to see who had bumped into him, Abba Lazarus plainly said, "I want to be a monk." Without any thought His Holiness told him to go to a particular monastery in Egypt, and there he went until he finally ended up at St Antony's.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 06:29:46 PM »

I watched the youtube video clip and loved it!!! But it was waaaay too short! Sad  I want to see more!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 08:22:53 PM »

Believe it or not, of the 60 minutes of this episode, that one minute on youtube.com was ALL there was on the monastic/liturgical life within the monastery itself. About 20 mins of the segment was focused on Fr Peter's journey with the Bedouin. About 30 mins were focused on Fr. Peter's life in England + his 2-3 weeks alone near the cave of St Antony, and about 10 mins all up on Abba Lazarus.

alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 09:46:32 PM »

Oooh it ended at the 2:06 mark right when he wanted to visit him. The monk that he is referring to had been seen on an episode on a US LOCAL affiliate PBS station possibly the main station. A Women Host Megan McCormick filming Globe Trekker travels to Cairo, Alexandria, Thebes, Giza and the Nile River. She happenstance to visit St. Antony's Monastery to take a tour. She meets the Aussie who lives in hill top cave. He wouldn't allow Megan to enter the cell as he takes on the Copt custom of Solititude but he notes that the whole cell was Saturated with prayers.
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 10:09:01 PM »

I am gonna add that the Greek Mount Sinai Monastery is funded by the Church of Greece, Ship Merchants, Elite, etc. The 1500 year-old monastery didn't have as many icons at the time but instead would look similar to the small Coptic Chapel in this BBC Series.
FWIW the Greek Monastery will continue to change the Roman accroutements, vestment patterns, gold phylacteries. While the 1700 year old St. Antony has everything from Flemish Sacred Heart to the Long haired Diego Crucifixion and their antiquities from the 4th centuries.

So in a evolutionary standpoint St. Antony's will look like St. Catherine's during the Medieval 14th century  which would be 500 years from now.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 06:25:29 AM by alexp4uni » Logged
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 05:49:12 PM »

Here's the link to the full episode Smiley

http://orthodoxfathers.org/bbc-extreme-pilgrim-ascetic-christianity.htm

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
Aidan

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 06:19:39 AM »

After my less than praiseworthy summation of the Anglican priest as tv personality, I must say I found his trip to Ethiopia moving.

Does anyone have the link to that episode?

In Christ
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 06:35:27 AM »

I haven't seen this yet. I'll have to look for it.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Aidan

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 06:53:09 AM »

Here it is;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhOJOdBE8h0&feature=related
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 09:02:50 AM »

Thank you, GTAsoldier & Aidan!

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 10:25:49 AM »

Thanks for the links! I'll try to get to them later today.

Does anybody know if there are links to the full Extreme Pilgrim series?
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 09:06:22 PM »

Also, I am wondering if it is available on DVD.  I tried looking once at a BBC website and I couldn't find anything.

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 12:25:07 AM »

So much whining. He seems to be too inconvenienced to do the work of a monk. "Why's it all about You", indeed. Oh well. 10 minutes with Father Lazarus is worth 50 minutes of some Anglican whiner.

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 10:03:39 AM »

"I wanna go home to my GARDEN!!!!!"
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 10:50:37 AM »

hey, he tried, ok?
cut the guy some slack!
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 11:00:30 AM »

If you were visiting a relative in some unfamiliar place, you would not think it proper to complain about the unfamiliarity of your surroundings or your relative's strange customs, would you? How much more, then, should a supposed man of God (he is a priest, after all) feel compelled to accept his suffering with gladness and joy, not with complaining and bitterness? Fr. Lazarus did not have to accompany him or guide him. The bedouins did not have to help him. He did not have to take up the privilege of making a television show where he gets to travel to a place I'm sure many of us would give our right arms to visit. All of these things were given to him by God and he complains that he'd rather be home in his garden, and why this and why that and why why why.

I'm not going to say I wouldn't do the same (and I was happy to see him almost start to enjoy it, even as he resisted that), but I will say that to come all that way, and take advantage of so much hospitality, and then go on to insult the very theology that has sustained those who have made the desert into a place of prayer and holiness for reasons he openly admits he doesn't even understand makes him seem very unsympathetic. And since the entire show was filmed through his worldview, it makes for a somewhat less enlightening experience than it perhaps could have been. I suppose "British guy complains for 45 minutes about missing his tomatoes, kind of starts to get it about five minutes before the credits roll" would not make such a catchy title, but anyway...it was wonderful to see Fr. Lazarus, and his patience with the Anglican.

Aidan

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 11:25:48 AM »

Fr Lazarus also appeared with a young French reporter who interviewed him in English.
Think it was on a French Coptic site. It was worth seeing despite the naff (English expression) music.
Any idea of the link anyone?
Aidan

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 11:35:29 AM »

Here is a whole serie of film on youtube but listed here:

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php/topic,10358.0.html

I'll see ifI can find th French one.
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 12:28:59 PM »

dzheremi,
 "British guy complains for 45 minutes about missing his tomatoes, kind of starts to get it about five minutes before the credits roll"
 Grin
rolling on floor laughing...

aidan, great link.
i don't know about the french documentary, sorry.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 07:22:59 PM »

Selam lekulkemu  Smiley
Lord have mercy! Here is a different take of this man's journey to St.Anthony. I think it did more to show the seriousness of that life and what the desert life is like in general. if we were to look at the pious life of monks some of us might not have relate to it, because we see them as the other. and our expectation of their life is equally fantastic. they must be some kind of lesser or superior beings than us, to choose that life and live it fully. still some of us have no clue as to the nature of what a prayerful life entails or what a life of repentance and purity means in its real application to our life or theirs. when we take away the title of a monk, and see the person as this priest allowed us to see, we get to experience our indulgent lives our attachments our egos and our Numbness! I liked the fact that the journey to the monastery  was long by itself required a certain amount of penitence and determination. then you get to the monastery in more ways than one it is indeed an oasis that fertilises the whole world and makes it fruitful. and i saw that this priest was quite humble in a sense he did not pretend to be overly Pius or appear to be what he is not. i liked how often he complained, it would have been unreal if he did not for most of us would have felt the shock of that drastic change from the usual that the monastery offers. then we see the hermit, and his question was BEAUTIFUL, how aware are you of your sins? because without some sense of repentance this cave this desert is no use for you! this sums it all up for me. and the priest says very, but he sure finds out in the consecutive days that he really is not that much awake as he first believed. and the journey into himself is quite terrifying as it would be to all of us if we were to pay attention to what is relay going on inside us in the light of Christ. often times we are asleep distracted by the noises of this world and ours , we can not tolerate silence and stillness, I am really glad that he this priest showed that quite clearly as he became unravelled right before our eyes. his reminiscing about his tomatoes carrots beers all his beloved attachments and his constant questioning why why why, that's exactly what the monk goes through you see. we will face all those questions, all those yearnings they will come with full force, and we must battle those. silence is terrifying when it means looking really looking inside yourself, in the light of Christ, really listening to what the Holy Spirit has to say about the truth of our existence and the meaning of it all, vs. the other voices that will demand our attention , our conviction. why cant He be loved in some other place than this, why do you have to fast and pray this many hours? why don't you go back to growing tomatoes and still love God? anything to get rid of the silence , the reflection the repentance, the tears, the blessed sorrow, the Truth.

Father Lazarus could not have shown us as this priest just did , by freaking out on us, and rumbling on about tomatoes ,carrots. hating that he is looking into himself and not liking what he saw, or the complete powerlessness it made him feel. facing the demonic forces of dejection and the dejected rumbling there of, denial of demonic existence and yet capitulating to the oppressive force of intense fear and sadness, i think he showed that The Great St.Anthony chose the terrifying way the narrowest way, that the desert life will totally demand the truth from us and we will be exposed to the bone to ourselves so then we will meet the Divine in that true recognition of what we are and Who He is, and that recognition will lead to the sweetest comfort and love one finds in the company of the Lord.
I loved that Father Lazarus, said that if I am praying the whole world is praying if I am not the whole world is turning away from God. It is such an apt description of what the fathers teach, about the priesthood of mankind in offering the whole world in thanksgiving and love to God. their prayer is not for them alone but for the whole world, and in that they imitate Christ. let me stop here, I hope I have shared what I got out of watching this movie. thank you for sharing it. it made me take a look at myself, thank you. Smiley

Selam

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Gisasargavak

Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 10:03:04 PM »

I've seen this guy on a couple of programs, as he also did the "Around the world in 80 Faiths" program. In virtually all instances I found him to not only be quite "whiny", anglo-centric, liberal for the sake of the English notion that "everything must be proper", and generally uninformed - but also extremely insincere. Probably the closest I've seen to him being sincere is when he said in this program that "he didn't agree with the theology". I don't know if anyone else here got that feeling. There is something about his "revelation" in the last part of the program that makes you think it was all staged for a TV program. But hey, as they say: "any publicity is good publicity". Smiley
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:04:50 PM by Gisasargavak » Logged
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 10:13:14 PM »

I watched the ~9 minute segment on Youtube from his trip to Ethiopia after watching the Egyptian episode and did notice that he had a similar turn at the end of that segment as he had in Egypt (though a bit more extreme, with crying). I don't know if that means that it's faked for television (I'd hope not), but I did find it odd. I wonder if he did the same when he was visiting with non-Christians. Anyway, Hiwot's very kind and reasonable interpretation notwithstanding, I cannot shake the feeling that the approach of the host detracts from the subject rather than adding to the understanding he should be providing.

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 10:21:29 PM »

selam

I've seen this guy on a couple of programs, as he also did the "Around the world in 80 Faiths" program. In virtually all instances I found him to not only be quite "whiny", anglo-centric, liberal for the sake of the English notion that "everything must be proper", and generally uninformed - but also extremely insincere. Probably the closest I've seen to him being sincere is when he said in this program that "he didn't agree with the theology". I don't know if anyone else here got that feeling. There is something about his "revelation" in the last part of the program that makes you think it was all staged for a TV program. But hey, as they say: "any publicity is good publicity". Smiley

LOL yeah when you put it like that, it did look very staged, how it kind of syncnorised with what Abba was saying to expect, and hope for, lol however, it does take away the rosy picture some people have of monastic life, you know kind of make you take a bit of a glimpse that its beyond the monastic habit and the prayer rope and sitting in a cell. i envied him when he sat where St.Anthony prayed though  Smiley

here is what one old Ethiopian lady said when she visited the holy land and she was allowed to enter to holy sites and pray and just before that she was looking at the harsh environment and was wondering about why the Lord would chose such an arid place to be born and live lol so she was comparing the place to the lush places she knew in her country, but as soon as they let her enter into these holy sites and pray she said O my Lord thank you for being born here because if it was those places i mentioned who would have let me get this close to them lol some sites in Ethiopia , its men only because they are strict monasteries. lol so i was saying while i was watching him you lucky man you get touch the very place that the seraphic saint Abba Anthony sanctified with his tears.
 selam Smiley

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 10:29:07 PM »

Selam
dehzeremi, I was laughing when he was talking about loving his tomatoes and carrots and his beer and .... in addition to that... love God too lol or was it simultaneously? but it was funny, i kind of thought so what are my tomatoes and carrots and my beer i would be thinking about if i were ever to go there lol
selam to u Smiley

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2011, 11:50:19 PM »

Hahaha. You are so right, Hiwot. Yes, we would all have our own tomatoes and beer to miss...  Embarrassed

Actually, Fr. Lazarus talked about this a little bit in the program "A monk's Life" on Coptic Youth Channel, in an interview segment where he mentions that his life as a monk might be different than others since he does not have good memories from his time in the world to hold on to or torture himself with: Monk's Life, Episode 5 (Skip the horrible music by starting the video at 1:19. I have no idea why they use that heavy metal guitar. Maybe it is because it is a "youth" channel.)

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2011, 12:36:18 AM »

selam
thank you dzheremi, yes horrible music , somebody needs to edit that one, the desert experience can use music of the desert flutes and  strings with their hunting tunes not that jarring music. Abba Lazarus , is very humble. he reminds me of a monk who answered to someones compliment that he must be very brave to have abandoned the world like this, he said no the world cast me away first. ofc the world has always  a place for our corruption Smiley but he escaped the harm of false glory. thank you for sharing it with me . very interesting story.
Selam to you Smiley

Tags: Monastery Coptic Orthodox Church pilgrimage asceticism Extreme Pilgrim video Monasticism St. Antony 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: