OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 08:34:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vatican forbids filming of Dan Brown's Angels and Demons in Rome churches  (Read 2008 times) Average Rating: 0
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« on: June 16, 2008, 05:04:11 PM »

Vatican bans Dan Brown film Angels & Demons from Rome churches

Richard Owen, in Rome

The Vatican has banned the makers of Angels & Demons, the latest Dan Brown thriller to be filmed, from shooting scenes not only in the Vatican but in any church in Rome on the ground that it is "an offence against God" and "wounds common religious feelings".

Archbishop Velasio De Paolis, head of the Vatican's Prefecture for Economic Affairs, said that the author had "turned the Gospels upside down to poison the faith. It would be unacceptable to transform churches into film sets so that his blasphemous novels can be made into mendacious films in the name of business."

Father Marco Fibbi, spokesman for the diocese of Rome, said: "Normally we read the script, but this time it was not necessary. The name Dan Brown was enough." The Vatican fiercely condemned both the novel The Da Vinci Code and its film version, which starred Tom Hanks as the Harvard professor Robert Langdon.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article4147839.ece

-

Tom Hanks on the set of Angels & Demons, in which he reprises the role of Professor Robert Langdon, which he played in The Da Vinci Code

I had no idea they were making this movie. What in the world is Tom Hanks, a professed Christian, thinking?

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 06:04:50 PM »

I had no idea they were making this movie. What in the world is Tom Hanks, a professed Christian, thinking?
And Greek Orthodox, at that. Shocked
wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 07:51:56 PM »

I imagine somehow this will be twisted into the Vatican being "intolerant."
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 10:33:48 PM »

Well it is completely understandable and I commend the actions of the Holy father and the Vatican officials. Although this book is like 100 times better than the "Da Vinci Code", the book "Angels and Demons" doesn't necessarily show the Vatican or the Catholic church in a bad light but rather shows renegades and those that look to much to the letter of the law as opposed to the spirit.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 11:13:54 PM »

And Greek Orthodox, at that. Shocked

So was Telly Savalas (May His Memory be Eternal and Everlasting) and he played Pontius Pilate.  Kojak never made a film glorifying heresies, nor received $25 Million for a movie like Tom Hanks nor won 2 Best Actor Oscars like Tom Hanks.  In contrast to roles depicted by Savalas, Tom Hanks played a slow southern kid and a guy stuck on a desert island with a volleyball.  Recall that Hanks met his wife on Bosom Buddies when she played a witch/sorceresses or something like that.  In the end, Kojak remained true to his origins and to his faith. 
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 04:47:20 PM »

Probably the same thing he was thinking when he made the last one.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 05:51:52 PM »

Probably the same thing he was thinking when he made the last one.

"Chaching"?

Really, though, I'm glad they have banned its filming in churches.  Or any filming for Hollywood, for that matter.  That's just tacky from the beginning.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 04:25:57 AM »

I imagine somehow this will be twisted into the Vatican being "intolerant."
I'd rather bash Hanks. The pope has got this one right even if this amounts to free advertising for the flick.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 04:30:04 AM »

I've heard that religious were able to put a positive Christian twist on The Golden Compass. Could this new movie go the same way?

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 04:32:16 AM »

I've heard that religious were able to put a positive Christian twist on The Golden Compass. Could this new movie go the same way?

The book isn't anti religious or even anti Catholic.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 04:32:32 AM by prodromas » Logged

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 06:01:57 AM »

The book isn't anti religious or even anti Catholic.

Are you talking about Angels and Demons?  I'd read it again.  Religious people behaving badly, which the book promotes as the religious' way of life.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 07:36:07 PM »

"Chaching"?
Yep. Sequel to a blockbuster is virtually guaranteed to bring him in a large cash sum again.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: