OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 11:27:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting documentary about J.K. Rowling  (Read 1807 times) Average Rating: 0
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« on: June 13, 2008, 11:24:53 PM »

My granddaughter came across this British Documentary about J.K. Rowling on youtube. Those of us not living in Britain often miss these little treasures, so I though I would post it for those of you who are Harry Potter fans like me. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=4F95BFA1D0C21093

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 02:08:03 PM »

Finally got enough time to watch this. Fantastic documentary; thank you for posting it.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 02:31:13 PM »

You know, people give her a lot of flack about being a kajillionaire now, but I have a great appreciation for someone who was a single mom and wrote on the back of napkins.  She probably should have saved her coffee money for bills, but nonetheless....

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 02:37:07 PM »

She didn't have a happy home life, either; Harry was a largely autobiographical character.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 03:10:45 PM »

A plagiarist gets a documentary made about her.  Wonderful!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 03:12:02 PM »

Shakespeare's already had plenty made about him. What's your point?

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

lolcat addict

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 03:13:05 PM »

^ laugh

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 03:55:40 PM »

"plagiarist"?!?   Huh

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 04:20:09 PM »

Are you referring to Gaiman or Ibbotson's supposed claims of plagiarism?  Both of those authors have denied any thought of suing Ms. Rowling.  Both have, in fact, assumed that she merely had the same influeneces that they had! 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 04:27:31 PM »

Are you referring to Gaiman or Ibbotson's supposed claims of plagiarism?  Both of those authors have denied any thought of suing Ms. Rowling.  Both have, in fact, assumed that she merely had the same influeneces that they had! 
Indeed. There are no truly original ideas, but that does not mean that all ideas are plagiarised. I believe Rowling has written a story from her own experiences, and those experiences do include reading good literature. There are many classic themes in Harry Potter, themes children can use as they explore other works and other experiences of their own. I myself have been able to use it in teaching as an example, and children connect what they've read in Harry Potter to what they are learning of Shakespeare, Swift, and Sophocles.

But what of these plagiarism cries? Are they so different from the hostility she's encountered so far? Good for her that she hasn't let it phase her. If anything, Rowling has proven that no press is bad press.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 04:34:01 PM »

There was the case of an American writer named Nancy Stouffer who sued J. K. Rowling claiming plagiarism for the word "muggle" and the name "Potter" from some books that she'd written.  The court found for Rowling.

I can tell you from my reading as a child that Carol Kendall had a character named "Muggles" in The Gammage Cup which was published in 1969 originally.  A fine book, a Newbury Honor book, and I recommend it.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 04:30:02 AM »

There was the case of an American writer named Nancy Stouffer who sued J. K. Rowling claiming plagiarism for the word "muggle" and the name "Potter" from some books that she'd written.  The court found for Rowling.

The court found that Nancy Stouffer lied and had produced fraudulent documents to support her claims. She copped a hefty fine.

edited for clarity.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 04:34:58 AM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 09:32:36 AM »

Thank you.  I'd forgotten some of the details of the judgement.  Ms. Stouffer still has a  web site up called "RealMuggles" with a 'protect copyrights' angle.  That she tried to trademark "muggle(s)" when others before her had used it is very odd to me.

Ebor

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: