OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:46:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Dostoevsky in Russian  (Read 756 times) Average Rating: 0
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« on: June 13, 2008, 01:41:58 PM »

I am writing a paper on Simone de Beauvoir's "The Ethics of Ambiguity." One of her statements which she uses to attack those who say existentialism naturally results in anarchy is to attack a quote from Dostoevsky.  The version that is put in her text is, "If God does not exist, everything is permitted."  However, I have always heard this as, "If God does not exist, everything is possible." This actually does make a huge difference in her argument, if she in fact quoted it wrong.  Does anyone know what it is in Russian?  Which version is correct?

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 01:55:30 PM »

"Если Бога нeт - всe дозволeно."

I think one can translate it both ways. "Дозволeно" can mean "possible" or "permitted/allowed."

Love never fails.
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 01:58:02 PM »

Thank you so much!!

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up