OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 07:03:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Seven Capital Sins  (Read 2042 times) Average Rating: 0
Linus7
Archon

« on: July 24, 2003, 11:43:27 AM »

The Seven Capital Sins, a tract produced by TAN Books, Rockford, IL: 2000 reprint, originally published by the Benedictine Convent of Perpetual Adoration, Clyde, MO.

This is a valuable little tract that discusses the "Seven Deadly [Capital] Sins," what they are and how to combat and overcome them.

I really need this book because I am guilty of so many of them. In fact, I am so guilty of the sin of pride that I am somewhat reluctant to post this review because I wonder about my motivation.

This little book has caused me to really wonder about my motivation for a lot of things, particularly my motivation for posting things on this web site. I really have to look at that, because I think I am motivated by the desire to look I know something. Sometimes I do (know something, that is); sometimes I don't; but that isn't the point. The point is my rotten desire to look like some kind of a bigshot. It stinks.

This little book has been like a mirror for me; but I'm not liking what I see. It's a good thing it also has suggestions for overcoming the Capital Sins.

What scares me is that I may not have the spiritual fortitude and wisdom to apply them.

Anyway, get this little book. It's a gut-wrencher.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 11:47:53 AM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 12:20:34 PM »

I have to get it. Because I need all the help I can get!

I really like St. John Cassian treatise "On the Eight Vices" in the Philokalia.

Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2003, 01:01:16 PM »

The point is my rotten desire to look like some kind of a bigshot. It stinks.

Yeah, you sleazy post padder you. Wink

Anyways, is this St. John Cassian thing related?  I thought this RC fascination witht the "7 deadly sins" was just some Renaissance, humanistic stuff that was a little too fixated and had to do with Voltaire and others (I don't really know much - just somewhat curious).  Btw, Seven is a scary and thought provoking movie - well done (IMHO), but not for the faint of heart.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 04:02:11 PM »

The point is my rotten desire to look like some kind of a bigshot. It stinks.

Yeah, you sleazy post padder you. Wink

Anyways, is this St. John Cassian thing related?  I thought this RC fascination witht the "7 deadly sins" was just some Renaissance, humanistic stuff that was a little too fixated and had to do with Voltaire and others (I don't really know much - just somewhat curious).  Btw, Seven is a scary and thought provoking movie - well done (IMHO), but not for the faint of heart.

I'm not sure about the relationship to what St. John Cassian wrote. I thought I remembered the 7 Deadly Sins having their source in the Old Testament - maybe Proverbs? I seem to remember a verse that went something like, "These things the Lord hates, yea, seven things the Lord despises . . .", or something like that; but I could be wrong.

I don't have a Bible with me right now to try and look it up.

This is a good little book, but it is RC. It even has a prayer to St. Aloysius in the back.

One of the nice things about it is that it is brief, but powerful, and it is inexpensive. I paid three bucks for it at the Catholic bookstore.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 04:43:40 PM »

I am sorry, I should have been more clear -- St John Cassain in his treatise does not specifically do the 7 deadly sins thing.

These are the Eight Vices he addresses:

1) Control of the Stomach
2) Unchastity and Desire of the flesh
3) Avarice
4) Anger
5) Dejection (Depression)
6) Listlessness
7) Self-Esteem
8) Pride

« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 04:44:51 PM by TomS » Logged
Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

The Pointless One !

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2003, 05:03:01 PM »

St. John Climacus also speaks of them.  There is a write up of their evolution in the introduction to the Ladder of Divine Ascent. by Bp. Kallistos IIRC
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 05:27:22 PM »

Aren't self-esteem and pride pretty much the same?
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 09:56:40 PM »

Aren't self-esteem and pride pretty much the same?

That's kinda what I think -- the difference is that he says self-esteem is more internal or hidden whereas pride can be seen more readily by others (all puffed up with himself).

To me it is really almost the same also.
Tags: sin 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: