Author Topic: How does one deal lovingly with those pushy telephone marketers?  (Read 6712 times)

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
I was in the middle of something that was both time-consuming and important when the phone rang. Thinking it was my daughter calling me back regarding the time-consuming and important matter we are both working on, I picked up the phone. As it happens, I was greeted by a woman's voice, but not that belonging to my daughter.

Usually sales-people who call randomly inquire as to how one is, or if one is busy, but there was no polite preamble as this person launched into a sales pitch about a product I didn't need or want. I waited patiently until she had finished her seemingly endless introductory oration. When finally, she had to take a breath, I thought it opportune to politely let her know that I wasn't interested. I expected to hear an equally polite response which quickly progressed to our goodbyes. But, no such luck, she's started her sales pitch again, this time insisting that I only thought I wasn't interested, but... At that point, rather than wait for the next hiatus in her tedious patter, I hit disconnect.

How do other people handle this kind of annoying intrusion?
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: How does one deal lovingly with those pushy telephone marketers?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 03:22:55 AM »
Riddikulus, the answer is simple. Just hang up immediately. No arguments, no anger, very little of your precious time wasted. This approach is not rude, it's practical. These people are intensively coached in spouting their spiel, and sticking to it through thick and thin, and trying to reason with them is futile, unless you accept/buy the service/product they're selling.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 03:46:42 AM »
I was getting those type of call from sprint on my sprint phone..i told her im not interested in any deals ,and i told her don't call again, she got angry i hung up ..a few days went by ups deliveres a new sprint phone worth 175.00 plus a second line which i never reqested all added to my sprint bill....i called sprint complained put my self on there no call list that didn't work ,,so regestered with the goverment's don't call list..and each time they called solicating i told them ill file a complaint against them with the goverment...and with the attorney general's office ,,because each time they call there using up my minutes on my phone which they have no right to do.because there my minutes which im paying for to use as i see fit....fanally it stopped.it took a while......in my house the only phone line i have is the dsl line ,,it has a phone number ,but i didn't attach a phone to it ..since i use my cell phone....SmileyCentral.com" border="0
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 03:47:27 AM by stashko »
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Offline Nigula Qian Zishi

• Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
  • OC.net guru
  • 我美丽的妻子和我。
    • Orthodox Ecclesiology and The World
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 04:14:34 AM »
Hanging up is a mistake. They will call you back later if you just hang up. Simply say, "Please remove me from all of your calling lists and any calling lists that your company may call from, whether for the company you are soliciting, or any other company." This will end this call and many future ones. After doing this a few times, you will find that you receive few to none of these calls anymore.
在基督
尼古拉
前执事
的博客

Offline prodromos

• OC.net guru
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 05:20:23 AM »
The advantages of speaking another language. Simply speak to them in a language other than English. If you don't know another language, make one up :D. I answer the phone in Greek most times now. My parents are used to it and my rel's overseas get a kick out of calling Australia and getting answered in Greek.

John

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 05:43:26 AM »
^^Now that's something I hadn't thought of! I might just try that!  :laugh:
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Offline A Sombra

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 06:38:08 AM »
Who sez you gotta deal with them lovingly? You must have time to burn....

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 07:34:22 AM »
Last time they rang and asked for me by name, I told them I was my brother and I asked whether they were calling about George's funeral arrangements following the "tragic car accident".
That was two month's ago, and I haven't had a call since!
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 07:42:16 AM »
Last time they rang and asked for me by name, I told them I was my brother and I asked whether they were calling about George's funeral arrangements following the "tragic car accident".

LOL

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 08:17:43 AM »
^^Now that's something I hadn't thought of! I might just try that!  :laugh:

Yes! It's brilliant. I must switch to this.
If one doesn't speak a language less well known in the US (obviously Spanish surely won't work), try using a very heavy accent, play stupid, ignore what they're saying, say "Thank you veeeery moch..Have good day" and hang up.
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 08:21:53 AM »
Yes! It's brilliant. I must switch to this.

It works like a charm.  :laugh:

Usually goes something: "Mandi, cemût stajal?"  "Hello?  Pardon?"  "Jo no feveli il anglês.  Fevelistu furlan?"  "Sorry, I don't understand."  "A riviodisi!"  *click*
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 08:33:28 AM by Friul »
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline Veniamin

• Fire for Effect!
  • Archon
  • St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 08:37:14 AM »
Whenever the caller ID showed up as "unavailable," a sure sign of a telemarketer, my dad would answer in Russian, followed by a heavily accented English translation.  "Hello, you have reached Archives Section of Russian Consulate.  How may I direct call?"

I, on the other hand, am more practical.  I put myself on the do not call list and when receiving an unsolicited pitch, request their company name and phone number, followed by letting them know that I'm submitting them for a violation of the do not call registry, which can result in a $20,000 fine.
Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 12:17:58 PM »

ROFL! I love it!   :laugh:
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
    • Mississippi University for Women
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 12:59:30 PM »
I was thinking, maybe you need to answer their usual initial question, "How are you?" - say something, "I am not doing very well, because my grandmother's aunt Polly broke her leg, and I had to go visit her in the hospital, but, you know, can you imagine that, the same day my cat had kittens, and my spouse's granddaughter from one of his/her previous marriages got a traffic ticket," etc. etc. etc. etc. Keep going, don't give them a split second to breathe...  :-\
Love never fails.

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 04:54:41 PM »
I was thinking, maybe you need to answer their usual initial question, "How are you?" - say something, "I am not doing very well, because my grandmother's aunt Polly broke her leg, and I had to go visit her in the hospital, but, you know, can you imagine that, the same day my cat had kittens, and my spouse's granddaughter from one of his/her previous marriages got a traffic ticket," etc. etc. etc. etc. Keep going, don't give them a split second to breathe...  :-\

:laugh:

Offline John of the North

• Protokentarchos
  • Christ is Risen!
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 05:38:15 PM »
Many years ago my mom received a phone call from a local funeral home soliciting business. After unsuccessfully trying to be rid of the caller, she finally burst out "Plans have been made!" in that they ahd already preplanned their funeral arrangements. The caller thought that they had called a house with an actual recent death, and have not called back since.
“Find the door of your heart, and you will discover it is the door to the kingdom of God.” - St. John Chrysostom

Offline username!

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 06:01:23 PM »
Interestingly enough, our fair and benevolent Commonwealth may actually pass (or has passed) a "do not call" list for political campaigns.  I don't know how many times I got recorded phone calls from candidates this year, but I will sign that do not call list. 

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 08:44:33 PM »
The "do not call list" only applys to businesses, it does not apply to political organizations or registered charities.
As frustrating as telemarketers can be I always try to be polite when I say "no". Mainly because I knew a girl with MS who was wheelchair bound who worked as a telemarketer rather then accept gov't assistence. Telemarketing was the only job she could find.
Proverbs 22:7

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 08:54:04 PM »
Having been a telemarketer for about a year, I will assure you all that the telemarketer is trained to assume the sale. So unless you hang up, you will be buying what they are selling. Unfortunately, if you hang up before they finish their pitch, they will probably call you again on the assumption that you only didn't buy because you didn't hear the whole pitch. They're trained to do this.

So, with this in mind, some "do's" and "don't's" of when a telemarketer calls:
Don't's:
1) Don't be rude. Telemarketers are doing this for a living, and they're often single parents or college students and are very strapped for cash and time. If they could get a better job, they would. Don't make it worse for them than it has to be.
2) Don't curse. I heard "F*** you" or its equivalent at least fifty times a night, without exaggeration. This goes along with the last one.
3) Don't lie to them. They know when you're lying, and it only shows that you don't respect them as people. They really couldn't care less if you don't like the company they work for, but at least have the decency to deal with them as you would any other salesperson face to face.
4) Don't ask for their name. Nothing says, "I'm upset and I want to take my revenge on you personally" like asking for their name. It also says you're not listening, because they told you at the beginning of the call. They're legally required to do so.
5) Don't become angry or yell. They're probably already frustrated as it is; they don't need to be yelled at yet again.

Do's:
1) Listen. Yeah, I know you've got a million other things going on, but you're never too busy to listen. You don't have to listen to the whole pitch, just enough to find out what they're selling.
2) Tell them you're not interested. You can interrupt. It's okay, as long as you're not rude about it. Say something to the effect of, "Excuse me, sir/ma'am (or use their name--since you were listening, you caught it at the beginning of the call), but I'm really not interested.
3) Give a specific reason why you're not interested. Say something like, "I'm really not interested because I'm paying less than that for long distance already." They will try to argue with you--they're trained to--but stick to your guns. You've given them a specific reason; you've proven you're listening and you just don't want what they're selling.
4) Ask to be put on a Do Not Call list. They are required to do so if you ask specifically. Keep in mind that the company does have 90 days from when you ask to actually stop calling you, so don't be upset if they call again. Just mention that you asked a few days ago to be put on the Do Not Call list, and then politely end the call.
5) Politely end the call, then just hang up. It's okay; they are trained to keep talking until you either hang up or buy what they're selling. The salesperson really will not be offended if you say, "I'm really not interested, thank you and have a good night" and then disconnect.

I hope this will help all of you to deal with telemarketers without losing your cool.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 10:25:17 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to write such a helpful post, y! One of my siblings took such a job while in school and I was also almost forced to take such a job (except I didn't get hired because they felt my personality wasn't aggressive enough!). So I always try to imagine I am speaking to my own dear brother as he struggled to make ends meet during his college years. The Golden Rule is never out-of-style or inappropriate for us as Christians. 

I've never been a good liar, so that's out of the question. Usually I just say "I'm most sorry, but I haven't time to talk to you right now and I really am not interested today, but thank you so much. Take care. Bye."

One of my siblings is a real goof and enjoys striking up conversations with telemarketers. He has gotten to the point where they begin to tell him about their love lives and he gives advice. :)
+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 10:45:23 PM »
Having been a telemarketer for about a year, I will assure you all that the telemarketer is trained to assume the sale. So unless you hang up, you will be buying what they are selling. Unfortunately, if you hang up before they finish their pitch, they will probably call you again on the assumption that you only didn't buy because you didn't hear the whole pitch. They're trained to do this.

So, with this in mind, some "do's" and "don't's" of when a telemarketer calls:
Don't's:
1) Don't be rude. Telemarketers are doing this for a living, and they're often single parents or college students and are very strapped for cash and time. If they could get a better job, they would. Don't make it worse for them than it has to be.
2) Don't curse. I heard "F*** you" or its equivalent at least fifty times a night, without exaggeration. This goes along with the last one.
3) Don't lie to them. They know when you're lying, and it only shows that you don't respect them as people. They really couldn't care less if you don't like the company they work for, but at least have the decency to deal with them as you would any other salesperson face to face.
4) Don't ask for their name. Nothing says, "I'm upset and I want to take my revenge on you personally" like asking for their name. It also says you're not listening, because they told you at the beginning of the call. They're legally required to do so.
5) Don't become angry or yell. They're probably already frustrated as it is; they don't need to be yelled at yet again.

Do's:
1) Listen. Yeah, I know you've got a million other things going on, but you're never too busy to listen. You don't have to listen to the whole pitch, just enough to find out what they're selling.
2) Tell them you're not interested. You can interrupt. It's okay, as long as you're not rude about it. Say something to the effect of, "Excuse me, sir/ma'am (or use their name--since you were listening, you caught it at the beginning of the call), but I'm really not interested.
3) Give a specific reason why you're not interested. Say something like, "I'm really not interested because I'm paying less than that for long distance already." They will try to argue with you--they're trained to--but stick to your guns. You've given them a specific reason; you've proven you're listening and you just don't want what they're selling.
4) Ask to be put on a Do Not Call list. They are required to do so if you ask specifically. Keep in mind that the company does have 90 days from when you ask to actually stop calling you, so don't be upset if they call again. Just mention that you asked a few days ago to be put on the Do Not Call list, and then politely end the call.
5) Politely end the call, then just hang up. It's okay; they are trained to keep talking until you either hang up or buy what they're selling. The salesperson really will not be offended if you say, "I'm really not interested, thank you and have a good night" and then disconnect.

I hope this will help all of you to deal with telemarketers without losing your cool.

Excellent post, although I don't lose my cool with these folk. I know they are just trying to make a living and I always try to put myself in their situation, but they have come into my space univited and should do the decent thing and back off when informed of my lack of interest. I just hung up on this particularly pushy woman because I had already polited stated I wasn't interested in whatever she was selling and she then told me that I didn't know my own mind! I'm not that far gone and I'm sure that would be considered a very poor marketing stragey at the best of times! :laugh: Going on to hog my time and attempt to sap my cerebral energy so that I would buy her product was the last straw! I figure all's fair at that point - except for "feck off, of course! ;D

But what I must do, is find out if there is a Do Not Call List system here in Oz.

Thanks for your posts, folks - all very useful!

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • Resident breeder-8 kids
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 11:26:06 PM »
I was a telemarketer for awhile. I hated my job. But moreso I hated it when people treated me like trash. The best thing to do when you are in a crunch for time is when they ask how you are say that you are busy doing whatever it is-for me it would be "I am in the middle of changing a diaper and I can't speak right now." I completely agree with Mr. Y, listen to the spiel politely and then politely tell them you are not interested. And then politely ask to be put on the do not call list. They are humans, they do have feelings. And you could be the only nice person they talk to that day.

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • Resident breeder-8 kids
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 11:28:54 PM »
I think everyone should have to work in food service at some point. You appreciate your servers at a restaraunt much more afterward. Food service has to be the most thankless of jobs.

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 12:27:44 AM »
I was a telemarketer for awhile. I hated my job. But moreso I hated it when people treated me like trash. The best thing to do when you are in a crunch for time is when they ask how you are say that you are busy doing whatever it is-for me it would be "I am in the middle of changing a diaper and I can't speak right now." I completely agree with Mr. Y, listen to the spiel politely and then politely tell them you are not interested. And then politely ask to be put on the do not call list. They are humans, they do have feelings. And you could be the only nice person they talk to that day.

Well, of course treating people like trash isn't something I would consider, hence the title of the thread is "how does one deal lovingly with those pushy telephone marketers?" I was wondering how other people dealt with this annoying and unsolicited interruption - rather like those pesky JWs who turn up when one is enjoying a relaxing brunch on a Saturday morning. I must say, however, that this particular telemarketer did exactly what she wouldn't have liked done to her, in that in not affording me the courtesy of accepting my polite refusal she was treating me as if my feelings weren't of the slightest importance to her and, worse, I was mindless to boot! So the shoe also fits on the other foot; some telemarketers can be so pushy that they treat the person they have foisted themselves onto like trash, too. :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 12:28:06 AM by Riddikulus »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 12:40:04 AM »
I was wondering how other people dealt with this annoying and unsolicited interruption - rather like those pesky JWs who turn up when one is enjoying a relaxing brunch on a Saturday morning.

This is a digression from the thread topic, but one way of handling JWs and other doorknocking evangelists is this: say to them upfront that (a) I am an Orthodox Christian, (b) You have no chance of converting me to your faith, any more than I have of converting you to mine - unless you're truly and sincerely interested in finding out about the True Christian Faith, (c) instead of wasting your time here, why not go out to where the down-and-outs hang out; preach to those who have no faith, instead of to those of us who know our faith. The result? I've done this many a time, and the speed at which they clear out is quite instructive. I also bet that there's no missionary work done by these people to the aforementioned "down-and-outs".
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 12:49:27 AM by LBK »
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2015, 11:15:12 PM »
I am on the Do Not Call list, but tonight I got a Restricted call from someone who cursed at me. Maybe they are a telemarketer and they realized that I was on the list? I don't know, but I don't want harassing calls.

I am not soliciting this company at all, but only want to know people's opinion of it:
http://www.trapcall.com/offer/?utm_source=offer&utm_medium=referral

There are anti-virus programs that are actually viruses, for example, so I am not sure what to think. I don't want to buy something that is going to work against me.

Maybe there is a better way to deal with this?
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2015, 02:42:59 AM »
My household is also on the No Call List, but that list does not apply to politicians and research polls sponsored by candidates.

Nevertheless, most telemarketers use an automated dialing service, and we have found a way to avoid their annoying calls.

In a boiler room operation, employees, often from Third World Countries, will wait for a queue and then pick up the phone as soon as someone answers.

I answer "hello" once, pause, and as soon as I hear a blurp or squeal sound, which indicates that the employee is in the process of answering the phone, I gently but quickly hang up.

It the caller is not a telephone solicitation, but a friend, they will call back. However, this rarely ever happens.

Note: An acquaintance worked for one of these boiler room operations. He was not even paid a minimum wage, but only discovered this after receiving his third paycheck as the first two paychecks were while he was in training. These unethical companies tell their "sales force" that they will be paid $20.00 per hour with bonuses. Therefore, it sounds like a great introductory job to climb the corporate ladder. However, when the regular pay check comes in after graduating from the sales training, it is a real blow. Not only are the sales employees docked for any miss calls due to inattentiveness, but also they are docked for hang-ups, lost calls, disconnections, and calls that did not generate a sale. If the successful sales failed due to insufficient funds or a cancellation, they are also fined. Consequently, that $20.00 per hour might be reduced to $10.00 per hour. If the customer renews their contract or buys some more product, the original sales person is not awarded that money, so their only source of income is to find new customers through the automated call system. After a while, these employees realize the game plan and resign or they are fired.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 02:46:54 AM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
  • Pat. St. Severus, pray for my family & friends
    • St. Severus of Antioch's Writings
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox Christian
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2015, 02:45:37 AM »
I honestly relish in getting calls like this because it gives me an opportunity to troll.
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2015, 02:52:11 AM »
I honestly relish in getting calls like this because it gives me an opportunity to troll.

I wonder how many of these boiler room operations are run by companies who employ prisoners?
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2015, 02:55:53 AM »

I wonder how many of these boiler room operations are run by companies who employ prisoners?
A good question.
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice.

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2015, 02:59:36 AM »

www.convictionleads.com/Helping to provide businesses with an affordable telemarketing solution, while helping to give convicted felons a second chance at life.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2015, 03:07:28 AM »
I don't know whether telemarketers are different in other countries but around here it is usually enought to politely inform that I don't buy anything from the phone. That pretty much ends the call. I feel sorry for those who are having a job like that so I don't want to be anyhow rude.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2015, 03:16:37 AM »
I don't know whether telemarketers are different in other countries but around here it is usually enought to politely inform that I don't buy anything from the phone. That pretty much ends the call. I feel sorry for those who are having a job like that so I don't want to be anyhow rude.
Personally I asked to be removed from their lists.

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2015, 07:05:33 AM »
I used to get very upset by telemarketers--until the time I identified a voice as belonging to one of my students who was working a part-time job. That was a jolting reminder that these callers aren't just dialing us to be annoying.

Now I just interrupt their reading of the printed message, thank them for phoning but tell them I'm not interested (or unable to give), and hang up.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2015, 07:44:47 AM »
I don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize.  If it is a telemarketer adn they leave a message, I'm sure to block that number.  No hassle.  IME, the "Do Not Call" list has failed multiple times.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2015, 08:56:13 AM »
One time, feeling frisky, got a call from a guy whose first language was not English. Told him I had just killed somebody and asked him what do I do with the body? I had to say it three times, put on hold and then spoke with his manager, another non-English-first person. Had to explain it to him two more times. He told me to call the cops and we got into a discussion on the wisdom of such.  He hung up on me!
And I don't even use Windows anymore.
Sometimes I feel such, other times, prior to Confession, I am angry for being interrupted in my home doing my activities and will speak in any manner I so choose. Yes, it is pride and I have to deal with it, but shared responsibilities is part of this game. They called me, so............I get real, except for the dead body routine, or very foreign language bit. So have fun, be gentle if that is the day, or be angry if.....but be yourself, which at times is not lovingly done.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 08:57:33 AM by LenInSebastopol »
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2015, 11:10:21 AM »
Your my brotha from anotha motha
God bless!

Offline Severian

• Taxiarches
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2015, 05:35:01 PM »
Your my brotha from anotha motha
Luv u 2 man

Oh wait, forgot about my "hiatus."
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:35:17 PM by Severian »

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2015, 06:16:25 PM »
Part of the challenge in dealing with them is recognizing that they are telemarketers. An elderly Polish immigrant I know would get calls at home, and it took him a while to know that they were marketers. But they caught on that he was weak in figuring it out. So there was one telemarketer who kept calling him, sometimes every day with the same voice, and the marketer would make up different stories, like there being a package for the Polish immigrant to get delivered to him, or that he had won a car. And when my acquaintance would answer, it sounded like he believed the telemarketer for a while. This marketer was a scam artist, but in reality some of them are.