Orthodox leader blesses green agenda

(1/2) > >>

amhalaba:
Hi, first time writing, although I've been lurking as a guest for weeks.

Love the discussions!  A little intimidated by you all, and was not intending to post until I felt sure of something, let alone start a new thread.

Then this popped up... and I had to see what you all think. I live in the Pacific northwest, where the issue is always hot.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0724/p17s01-lire.html

Mor Ephrem:
Quote from: amhalaba on July 23, 2003, 11:57:56 PM

Hi, first time writing, although I've been lurking as a guest for weeks.

Love the discussions!  A little intimidated by you all, and was not intending to post until I felt sure of something, let alone start a new thread.

Dear Amhalaba,

Welcome to the site, and thanks for posting!  Please don't be intimidated by us (although I sometimes scare myself, but that's another story...).

In essence, I don't disagree with the Patriarch's stand on these issues, and his emphasis on them.  Some would say that he should do less of this and more to help alleviate the problems that currently afflict Eastern Orthodoxy.  I would agree with them too, but only so much; I think a balance needs to be struck between the two.

Linus7:
Thanks for posting the link to a very informative article, amhalaba.

I think the EP is right in what he is saying.

I must admit that when I first saw the title of this thread I was taken aback because I thought it might mean that a patriarch had blessed the Green Party. Upon reading the article, however, I can see that is not the case (sigh of relief).

There is one thing in the article with which I would like to take issue:

. . . Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I, the spiritual leader of the world's 250 million Orthodox Christians

I guess the non-Orthodox are so used to thinking in terms of the papacy that they think we must have a pope, too. We don't (well, not like Rome does, anyway), and the EP is not "the spiritual leader of the world's 250 million Orthodox Christians."

He is the Patriarch of my particular diocese (ACROD), but not over all the rest.

Anyway, good article!

Mor Ephrem:
I'm thinking maybe we should start something like a Frequently Asked Questions page, because EVERY TIME there is an article in the press about the Patriarch of Constantinople, there is ALWAYS someone quick to point out that he is not the spiritual head of the world's Eastern Orthodox Christians, contrary to what the article says.  It's not a problem, really, I just think that it would be good to refer to that instead of constantly reiterating it (unless there are some who want to make that point constantly for their own reasons).  :)

sinjinsmythe:
 :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page