OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 04:17:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most innane questions you have been asked  (Read 6517 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2012, 03:35:03 AM »

One time I decided to be a good little Orthodox boy and make cupcakes with my mother to bring to my Church after Liturgy. When my father dropped me off and saw that I could not carry all of the trays of cupcakes by myself, he picked up a few trays and helped me. When we arrived to the Church doorway, he halted and asked 'Am I allowed inside or not? I don't want to offend your religion'.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2012, 04:39:05 AM »

One time I decided to be a good little Orthodox boy and make cupcakes with my mother to bring to my Church after Liturgy. When my father dropped me off and saw that I could not carry all of the trays of cupcakes by myself, he picked up a few trays and helped me. When we arrived to the Church doorway, he halted and asked 'Am I allowed inside or not? I don't want to offend your religion'.

Very honestly, James, I don't see why you'd characterize your Dad's question as inane. To me, it sounds like a very real attempt to rbe espectful to your faith and its doctrines.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2012, 04:59:28 AM »

I know that it was respectful and no harm was meant, I only mentioned it because it was humorous and shows the ignorance that people have of Orthodoxy in North America.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2012, 05:03:24 AM »

I wish my father cared about Orthodoxy at all. Sounds like you've got some seeds to help water there, James! Smiley

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2012, 05:16:48 AM »

Yeah, my father is pretty open minded about Orthodoxy and asks questions from time to time. He fell in love with the concept of Theosis salvation when I explained it to him compared to the one-shot deal Evangelical definition of salvation. He likes growth, so Theosis--being an eternal process--was something that appealed to him greatly. The only issue is that my mother is very hostile toward Orthodoxy and may try to hold my father back from possibly converting...

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2012, 05:57:23 AM »

I know that it was respectful and no harm was meant, I only mentioned it because it was humorous and shows the ignorance that people have of Orthodoxy in North America.

Yeah, because everyone in Polynesia are clairvoyant elders.

James you are choosing to join a fringe group within your world. Don't get surprised when most people around you know very little about it.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2012, 10:02:31 AM »

When I pointed out an announcement for the local Greek Festival, my dad asked me how I could be Russian Orthodox for church, but Greek Orthodox for festivals. Cheesy

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2012, 12:23:30 PM »

On one occasion, after listening to my explanation, the visitor said "I get it, you're like the Greek Jews, only you're not Orthodox - that's why you don't have the dreadlock things, right?'

WOW

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2012, 06:02:03 PM »

'do u still believe in the Holy Spirit?'
i did my best not just to laugh and quote the nicean-constantinopolitan creed, and instead try to explain why we believe normally only very humble people are given the power to perform miracles.
not having a tv show about our supernatural experiences actually makes them more valid...

also several people have thought i am muslim (fasting, studying arabic etc.)
recently i got an email from a relative informing me my church has the best evangelists!
so now, finally, i'm a 'real' Christian, thanks to the opinion of a small north american group of churches who have decided which churches have the 'best evangelists'!
i don't mind, at least my family realise i am a Christian now...
 Smiley
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2012, 06:40:11 PM »

Lucky. Wink I am asked if I am becoming Muslim, and I'm not even studying Arabic!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 06:41:00 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2012, 05:30:47 AM »

On one occasion, after listening to my explanation, the visitor said "I get it, you're like the Greek Jews, only you're not Orthodox - that's why you don't have the dreadlock things, right?'

WOW

Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction at the time - though I didn't say it. I was so dumbfounded, I think I just stood there with my mouth open, trying to put that combination of descriptors together in my head. The man just nodded, as if to say 'I get it now' and walked away.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: