OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 03:17:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let a good man strike or rebuke me in kindness  (Read 629 times) Average Rating: 0
isaelie

« on: June 11, 2012, 04:13:59 AM »

Let a good man strike or rebuke me in kindness, but let the oil of the wicked never anoint my head; for my prayer is continually against their wicked deeds. Psalm 141 :5 (RSV)

Let the righteous strike me; It shall be a kindness. And let him rebuke me; It shall be as excellent oil; Let my head not refuse it. For still my prayer is against the deeds of the wicked. (NKJV)

Don't they differ? Which is the more correct translation?

Thankyou
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 04:27:48 AM »

FWIW, my Ethiopic( Ge'ez) text reads like the first(RSV), I will let others tell you as to what the LXX says. and there is a marked difference in meaning between the two translations you sited IMHO.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 05:17:27 AM »

Which is the more correct translation?

Of the two the RSV is the more correct when compred to the LXX. I'm not sure which is closer to the Hebrew MT they're trying to translate from though.
isaelie

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 05:27:40 AM »

The meaning is different, wouldn't you say?
One says that the act itself of "smite" or "rebuke" or "strike" is to be in a gentle or 'kind' fashion.
The other says that the result or consequence of this "rebuke" or "smite" is a kindness or a good thing for the person who was smacked of course.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 05:37:06 AM »

The meaning is different, wouldn't you say?

Not really. "In kindness" means it is done out of kindness, it doesn't mean the rebuke is a gentle one. Likewise, "it shall be a kindness" means that the act is one done with kind intentions.
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 06:16:50 AM »

I would say the RSV is the more correct version as it more closely follows the LXX (or at least the Breton version I have.) The NKJV follows the KJV and the MT used there. The bolded text from both verses seem to say pretty much the same thing, but obviously the rest of the verse seems to differ; again, the RSV seems to follow the LXX more closely whilst the NKJV follows the MT.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 02:06:51 PM »

I can't vouch for the accuracy of either translation, but imho, the meanings of each in English seem close enough as to make no appreciable difference.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 02:09:58 PM »

This is why I infinitely prefer the RSV.   Cool

Tasting is Believing
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print