OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 05:49:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: House blessing (?)  (Read 6424 times) Average Rating: 0
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« on: June 11, 2008, 02:16:55 AM »

So my wife is pregnant with our third child and we move to a bigger apartment (with a sauna, finally), and I remember hearing about having a house blessing by the priest when having moved to a new place.

We have not been members of the Orthodox Church that long.

So can anyone kindly enlighten me how a house blessing is performed, if I'm supposed to prepare dinner for our priest, if I can have friends and family present, and anything else useful to know.

Thankful for any comments,
Robert
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 03:05:33 AM »

So can anyone kindly enlighten me how a house blessing is performed,
In Greek practice, the rite used outside of Theophany is the "Lesser Sanctification of Water" The Priest will usually bring everything which is needed, but it's always good to check with him. Also, the Basil branches mentioned in the link are a Greek practice, Slavic Churches use a special sprinkling brush.

if I'm supposed to prepare dinner for our priest,
I would certainly invite him. Also, a donation to the Priest might be a good idea. Our rites are long and involved and our Priests often have to travel far to perform them and they have families of their own. "A worker is worth his salt" as the Scriptures say.

if I can have friends and family present,
Absolutely! It is a joyous occassion!

and anything else useful to know.
Ask the older people at your Church. They love to share the local customs and traditions and pass them on. They are "the fifth Gospel"!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 08:48:33 AM »

Iv never seen a sprinkling brush used by a serbian priest ..like our greek orthodox brother's fresh green basil  or dried is allway's used....unless thing's have changed....im not sure...i love basil it has a great scent to it....SmileyCentral.com" border="0
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 08:49:20 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 09:15:07 AM »

Many Orthodox priests ask that no food  be offered as they, like many of us, are watching their weight. The time he comes would actually determine what would be appropriate. In some cultures, it is an affront if food is not offered and at least nibbled by the priest during one of these visits, however in most American parishes this is getting less common.  If he is married and he is coming in the evening, you may want to ask if he and his wife could come to dinner so you may get to know them better.  That way you have a dual puprose in the visit.  Our priest asks at Theophany  house blessings that we have a glass of water available but no  cake , cookies, or other food.  As he travels 55 miles to get to us we usually have a couple of bottles of cold spring water for him to take with him --- by the end of the day of traveling to bless the homes of all of the outlyers he will have traveled 300-400 miles. We also donate to the church fund noting it is for gas/travel expenses for him.  He declines  personal gifts or personal honorarium.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Robert W
Elder

Love is no feeling

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 09:03:47 AM »

Thank you all for your replies.

My priest (who is unmarried btw) did at one point jokinly say that it would be an insult not to open a wine bottle when he visits. From that I take it that it would be a custom to invite the priest for a meal.

I would be happy to see someone from a Russian tradition comment. In Finland we have inherited the traditions from Russia so I guess they will be quite similar.

Giving money to the priest would almost be an insult in Finland, it's stange how this differ from place to place.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 12:02:37 PM »

Thank you all for your replies.

My priest (who is unmarried btw) did at one point jokinly say that it would be an insult not to open a wine bottle when he visits. From that I take it that it would be a custom to invite the priest for a meal.

I would be happy to see someone from a Russian tradition comment. In Finland we have inherited the traditions from Russia so I guess they will be quite similar.

Giving money to the priest would almost be an insult in Finland, it's stange how this differ from place to place.

It's not insult to donate to them anywhere,, they have needs pesonal bills,,gas for car ,,if they are married there need is much greater children and all....also it's a thoughtful host to have lunch or dinner ready for after the house blessing ,,then he will give the lunch or dinner blessing he will eat what he can.parent's did the house blessing every year...the Good Book say to be good to strangers one never knows when they could be entertaining a angel of God...
or a future Saint of God......just my 2 cents worth....SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 02:57:07 PM »

This article might offer some help: http://www.ortodoksi.net/tietopankki/jumalanpalvelus/kirkolliset_toimitukset/kodin_pyhittaminen.htm

If you have any further questions I would recommend the excellent discussion forum which can be found on that site. People there might know a little bit more about finnish practice. Smiley
Robert W
Elder

Love is no feeling

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 04:31:05 AM »

Thank you for the link Alpo, unfortunately I'm one of those Swedish speaking misfits. My Finnish language skills are on par with the English skills of Mika Häkkinen.  Embarrassed

The article seems quite informative though. I think I will have to make an effort to understand it. Thanks again, and welcome to the forum!  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 04:35:05 AM by Robert W » Logged
Tags: house blessing 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: