OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 12:00:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rastafarianism "disproved" by "biblical" prophecy of Ethiopia's damnation  (Read 4859 times) Average Rating: 0
_Seraphim_
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« on: June 10, 2008, 04:13:33 PM »

Israel United in Christ- Bible Vs.Rastafarian

This accredited program teaches the truth that Blacks and Latinoes are the Biblical Israelites.
This clip disproves the cult of the Rastafarians.

"Christ isn't coming to pray with the Ethiopians, He's going to slay them, KILL them!"

Israel United in Christ- The Bible vs.The Rasta Prophet

"That's your opinion."
"No, that's what the bible says!  You hear what God says?... See, we, ain't going by what you feel or think... we're going by 'Thus saith the Lord!'"

Here is this group's YouTube Homepage

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 04:17:39 PM »

Another militant website passing itself as Christian, Arrgghhhh.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 04:29:10 PM »

This needs to be shown to people who believe in sola scriptura.   Shocked
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 04:36:48 PM by Salpy » Logged

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 05:54:11 PM »

This is fundamentalism.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 06:41:30 PM »

This reminds me of Hagee's sermon, on how Hitler was blessed by God to kill the Jews so that prophecy can be fulfilled.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 07:13:46 PM »

^^ Huh

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 10:16:15 PM »

^^ Huh

a quick google of "hagee on hitler" will answer your confusion, one of which is this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/21/mccain-backer-hagee-said_n_102892.html

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 10:32:17 PM »

He apparently sees God as some kind of monster that would use any means to "get the job done".  Sad

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 11:39:30 PM »

Not having looked at the links, Rastafarianism can't be disproven per se, as it doesn't have a concrete belief system.

That said, we are ten months past the Apocalypse date of at least one group....

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 06:43:36 AM »

Sooo to disprove the imagination of the Rastafarians, you have to damn a people who have suffered much and preserved Christ's Church on the African Contintent.  Interesting.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 12:20:04 PM »

This reminds me of Hagee's sermon, on how Hitler was blessed by God to kill the Jews so that prophecy can be fulfilled.

Shocked  Wow.  Just wow.  Why is this man still televised?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 12:58:13 PM »

I can't believe they used Isaiah 45:4 to prove the idea that they were God's elect.

In typology, Jesus is ISRAEL.

Mathew 2:15

"where he stayed until the death of Herod. And so was fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet: "Out of Egypt I called my son."

Mathew quoted Hosea 11:1

"When Israel was a child, I loved him,
       and out of Egypt I called my son."

And Romans chapters 9 to 11 is basically talking about all those who are in the Nation of ISRAEL, and that Nation happens to be a Person, and that Person's name is Jesus.

1.) And Sense Jesus is ISRAEL

2.) And Sense the Church is Spiritual ISRAEL

3.) And Sense the Church is the Body of Christ

That would make the Elect, all those who persevere(to the end) in the Church. For the Church is the New Nation of ISRAEL. It is an International body, a kingdom not of this world.

If I ever saw that group preaching in the street. I would just tell them that they are nothing more than just another modern American pseudo-protestant self start up group, that can't trace their churches lineage past a hundred years. Let alone back to Jesus and the Apostles.

And I would continue to tell them that they are reading a modern 20nth/21st century North American anachronistic interpretation into the text.

Therefore everything they say is null & void. It's meaningless, pointless. As long as they are not engrafted into the Olive Tree.

Jesus is ISRAEL. Therefore He is the Elect One, and we all become Elect when we are engrafted into Him through Baptism. For He is the True Vine.

Well wait, in order to stay elect, we will have to abide in Him....abide to the end.

John chapter 15

NKJV
"“I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned."

So I will tell them to become Orthodox, for they can't trace their movement back to Jesus and His Apostles. For as of right now they are setting themselves up to be imposters, for they are not ISRAELITES.

Being "elect" is more than just "claiming" the name "ISRAELITES" for oneself. It is an actual Organism that they must become a part of. Not something of their own making, but something that was made by God Incarnate.

JNORM888
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 01:26:37 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 02:05:15 PM »

The 'lost and found' can seem a bit contradictory when you think about it.

You know "lost" and "found".

It seems to me that it is one or the other.

How can something be "lost" and "found" at the same time?

If we analize this terminology a bit we know that first the 'owner' of something has to 'lose' it first for it to be 'lost'. That is clear. Then it follows that for that something to be 'found' the owner would have to 'find' it first before someone claims it in his stead.

Just soemthing to think about......

It is clear that these people are very very lost.

We are not much better then them really with the key exception........We have the power to help them........

This starts with prayer not ridicule.

I am sad for these people.

These people do not even know who are what is an Ethiopian.

Maybe I (we) can help them with that some how.

Considering how many un-countable groups that are out their with the same or similar views or even worse; why was this posted under 'Oriental Discussion'?

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 05:52:56 PM »

Question:

Considering how many un-countable groups that are out their with the same or similar views or even worse; why was this posted under 'Oriental[/Ethiopian Orthodox] Discussion'?

Answer:

These people do not even know who are what is an Ethiopian.

It is clear that these people are very very lost.

We [Orthodox] have the power to help them........
This starts with prayer...

Again and again in peace let us pray to the Lord:
+Lord have mercy

May the veils of ignorance be lifted

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 12:03:27 AM »

^^^ Another nomination for June 2008 post of the month.   Smiley
Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »

Question:

Answer:

Again and again in peace let us pray to the Lord:
+Lord have mercy

May the veils of ignorance be lifted

Thank you! ........ That was a very witty.

I consider that your answer.

But I think you understand my question is not answered.

The quotes you used of mine are what ALL of us must do for them and others like them. I said that myself.

The nature of the question is: Why was the Oriental Orthodox Forum selected for this issue; since the issue is not Oriental at all? The matter could have been handled just fine in another forum more of a general nature.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 03:12:50 PM by Amdetsion » Logged

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 04:46:03 PM »

The nature of the question is: Why was the Oriental Orthodox Forum selected for this issue; since the issue is not Oriental at all? The matter could have been handled just fine in another forum more of a general nature.

I think he put it here because the guy in the video was condemning the Ethiopian people, who are Oriental Orthodox.  I think he wanted the reactions and comments of our Ethiopian posters, as well as other Oriental Orthodox Christians.  You are right, though, that the issues of Rastafarianism and street preachers are not issues restricted to us.  I could see why he posted it here though, and unless it really bothers people I am willing to keep it here.

_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 07:15:11 PM »

It is often hard to decide what is the best section to post a new thread in... because most threads could be "appropriate" for more than one section.

So much of my appreciation for the Ethiopian nation has come from the conversations in this section (Oriental Orthodox Discussion).  I know that Ethiopians regularly post in this section, but not so much in others.  When I found a video of someone trying to use scripture to condemn the entire Ethiopian nation, I didn't want to post about it in some "general" section... because Ethiopians seem to mostly post in the OO section.

Sorry if my decision to post this thread here has caused anyone grief.

Salpy worded it very well:

I think he put it here because the guy in the video was condemning the Ethiopian people, who are Oriental Orthodox.  I think he wanted the reactions and comments of our Ethiopian posters, as well as other Oriental Orthodox Christians.  You are right, though, that the issues of Rastafarianism and street preachers are not issues restricted to us.  I could see why he posted it here though...

-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 02:19:38 PM »

I think he put it here because the guy in the video was condemning the Ethiopian people, who are Oriental Orthodox.  I think he wanted the reactions and comments of our Ethiopian posters, as well as other Oriental Orthodox Christians.  You are right, though, that the issues of Rastafarianism and street preachers are not issues restricted to us.  I could see why he posted it here though, and unless it really bothers people I am willing to keep it here.

Thanks Salpy!

I would have responded no matter where it was put. I look around the whole site to see what people are posting just like you do. Most of us if not all of us do this.

I beg your understanding at this time that this subject being directed at this forum really does bother me.

Oriental Orthodox discussion is about "Oriental Orthodox" NOT strange cults and wierd people with wierd ideas. Unless it is felt that "Orientals" are of this type?

I know some people on this site that are "eastern" feel that "oriental" is not even the "church" at all.

OC.net has specific areas for this kind of discussion.

_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 02:45:39 PM »

I would have responded no matter where it was put. I look around the whole site to see what people are posting just like you do. Most of us if not all of us do this.

I will certainly consider that from now on when deciding where to post a thread.

I beg your understanding at this time that this subject being directed at this forum really does bother me.

My apologies...that was not at all my intention.

Oriental Orthodox discussion is about "Oriental Orthodox" NOT strange cults and wierd people with wierd ideas.

How about weird people who say weird things about a particularly "Oriental Orthodox" (Ethiopian) church?... thus giving OOs the opportunity to comment and/or defend their church?

I know some people on this site that are "eastern" feel that "oriental" is not even the "church" at all.

I am by no means one of these people.  Learning more about the Oriental Orthodox is one of the main reasons I post on this forum.

-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 03:02:45 PM »

Personally, I don't have a problem with it being in the OO section, because it does pertain to a group of people with a large OO population.

However, I will probably move it, as it also deals with issues we all have experienced, such as street preachers, sola scriptura, fundamentalism, etc.  I just have to figure out where to put it first.   Smiley

Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 04:28:56 PM »

It is often hard to decide what is the best section to post a new thread in... because most threads could be "appropriate" for more than one section.

So much of my appreciation for the Ethiopian nation has come from the conversations in this section (Oriental Orthodox Discussion).  I know that Ethiopians regularly post in this section, but not so much in others.  When I found a video of someone trying to use scripture to condemn the entire Ethiopian nation, I didn't want to post about it in some "general" section... because Ethiopians seem to mostly post in the OO section.

Sorry if my decision to post this thread here has caused anyone grief.

Salpy worded it very well:

Good intentioned.

But I very uncomfortable with this subject in this forum.

The people in the video are very very ignorant. They need help in more ways than this forum can provide.

I have heard this kind of talk before...many times.

Ethiopians are by race 'black".

The bible uses the term Ethiopia based on the ancient empire which was huge.

Known locally and among all eastern powers as Kush; its capitals have been in Nubia, Khartoum, Napata, Axum and now Addis Abebe.

'Ethiopia' as ancient Kush was called by the ancient Greeks at one time extended even through Egypt to the Ganges of India; included Yemen and the southern tip of Arabia.

No wonder that Ethiopia (Kush, Kushi) held the fascination and imagination of all ancient nations for centuries. Ethiopia is written about all through the old testament and new testament. Homer, Strabo and many ancient Greek writers wrote extensively about the "wonderful Ethiopians" (as we are referred to in the Iliad)

The Ethiopian Empire varied in scope and influence at different times.

The borders of modern Ethiopia includes areas added at the south, east and west by Emperor Menelik in the mid 19th century.

However; the empire always had its capital in the heart of Africa among he varied tribes and peoples of the African world. The Greeks used the term Ethiopia to 'describe' the vast and 'diverse' African nations albeit particularly the east African tribes and nations. "Abyssinia" of Arabic origin by my best research means "diverse" or "mixed" and is used in various ways by Ethiopians today.

The Word Ethiopia includes diversity, ancient history, distant and without a doubt 'blackness' of the people it was applied to. It did not simply mean a color or any particular physical trait like a big nose or long torso or kinky hair and so on. Quite the contrary it included ALL of these differences found among the black race worldwide.

The ancient Greeks would not have associated with the ignorants that created such terms like 'negro' and 'black'.

These words are very crude having little real connection with the human experience. These are simple minded words void of culture and connection to the human condition. These words just to say 'color' and or isolate physical traits like "big nose" and big lips" with "kinky hair" and "black" skin. These traits do not describe people at all.

Thus the word "Ethiopia" is a very powerful and intelligent word which embraces the whole human condition, nature and experience which fairly assess the people it is describing "blacks" in general while at the same time defines the modern Ethiopia and Ethiopians specifically of today. There is enough integrity and meaning to also include the whole "black" world when such a term is needed when no distinction of tribe or hair type or skin tone is needed. Of course it rare today that anyone would want to be so "inclusive" in our divided world today.

Modern Ethiopia today is still an amalgamation of tribes and cultures and languages but is ordered with a  nationalistic identity verses an "empire" due to a long period of power and influence of one or two prominent tribes which dominated the cultural mainstream. Like How in America the English language and culture still dominates although many different peoples and languages are an inherent natural part of American nationhood and society.

When we factor in the huge impact of western colonialism on the continent and the fact that such colonialism did not impact the tribes and people of East Africa that were situated within the cultural influence and power of these two or three tribes we get in modern terms "Ethiopia". This modern 'nation' / empire has NEVER been colonialised, Arabised or Muslimised....This today is Ethiopia. IT is an Orthodox Country. Toady's Ethiopia is the last remaining true part of the ancient empire that was vastly, vastly larger.

I am not a scholar on the subject. But it is quite interesting albeit complex. I have drotted down more than I intended but felt it necessary to say this:

Within a scholarly and biblical aspect these people are talking about themselves. But they do not know that.

It is a sad level of outright, utter ignorance that these people are suffering from.

I do not expect all black people to look at themselves as Ethiopians. This is not my point.

The fact that the term Ethiopia is at the very lease is symbolically-metaphorically a symbol for the black world; it is ridiculous for people like them to talk about how Ethiopia is going to be destroyed as if it absolutely excludes them if such were the case.

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 05:06:13 PM »

I think I'll move it to Free-For-All.  At this point that seems to be the best place for it.

_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 06:50:02 PM »

Good intentioned.
But I very uncomfortable with this subject in this forum.

I think I'll move it to Free-For-All.  At this point that seems to be the best place for it.

I'll be sure to keep that in mind for the future.    Smiley Wink
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 06:51:24 PM by _Seraphim_ » Logged

-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 06:08:50 PM »

Like any and all other religious and spiritual movements, the Rastafari movement is misunderstood, misrepresented, and misinterpreted by many. Also, Rastafari encompasses a wide variety of beliefs. Essentially, Rastafari is a way of life, an adherence to life-affirming principles, an emphasis on Africa, Ethiopia, and the promotion and following of Emperor Haile Selassie I's teachings.

I came to the Orthodox Church by way of Rastafari. I have never worshipped Haile Selassie as God. In fact, it was through studying this great Christian man that I became aware of the beautiful, ancient and true Orthodox Christian Faith of Ethiopia.

Unfortunately, it is true that some Rastafarians still view Haile Selassie as Christ or God. But there are many Rastafarians who have come into the Church and accepted the Orthodox Faith. (You may want to read my testimony of baptism posted in the section "Why Did You Convert?")

I still consider myself a part of Rastafari, in that I accept that way of life (i.e. I am a vegetarian, I am a pacifist, I respect all LIFE, I believe in the brotherhood of humanity, etc.) In fact, I tell my fellow Rastafari brothers that the Orthodox Faith is the true Rastafari path, because His Majesty Haile Selassie I was called the "Defender of the Faith." I tell my Rastafari brothers that to truly heed Haile Selassie's words and teachings is to worship Jesus Christ and to enter into the true Christian Faith of the Orthodox Church.

It is sad to see some people misusing Rastafari as a doctrine of racial superiority; and it is sad to see fundamentlists saying these blasphemous things about God hating Ethiopia and such.

I hope this has shed some light on the subject.
Selam
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 06:11:22 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2009, 07:03:28 PM »

I came to the Orthodox Church by way of Rastafari.

Were you interviewed by Kevin Allen?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2009, 07:07:59 PM »

Like any and all other religious and spiritual movements, the Rastafari movement is misunderstood, misrepresented, and misinterpreted by many. Also, Rastafari encompasses a wide variety of beliefs. Essentially, Rastafari is a way of life, an adherence to life-affirming principles, an emphasis on Africa, Ethiopia, and the promotion and following of Emperor Haile Selassie I's teachings.

I came to the Orthodox Church by way of Rastafari. I have never worshipped Haile Selassie as God. In fact, it was through studying this great Christian man that I became aware of the beautiful, ancient and true Orthodox Christian Faith of Ethiopia.

Unfortunately, it is true that some Rastafarians still view Haile Selassie as Christ or God. But there are many Rastafarians who have come into the Church and accepted the Orthodox Faith. (You may want to read my testimony of baptism posted in the section "Why Did You Convert?")

I still consider myself a part of Rastafari, in that I accept that way of life (i.e. I am a vegetarian, I am a pacifist, I respect all LIFE, I believe in the brotherhood of humanity, etc.) In fact, I tell my fellow Rastafari brothers that the Orthodox Faith is the true Rastafari path, because His Majesty Haile Selassie I was called the "Defender of the Faith." I tell my Rastafari brothers that to truly heed Haile Selassie's words and teachings is to worship Jesus Christ and to enter into the true Christian Faith of the Orthodox Church.

It is sad to see some people misusing Rastafari as a doctrine of racial superiority; and it is sad to see fundamentlists saying these blasphemous things about God hating Ethiopia and such.

I hope this has shed some light on the subject.
Selam

I agree 110%.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2009, 08:55:34 PM »

Do all Rastas smoke pot?  Grin
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2009, 08:56:30 PM »

Does it matter?

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2009, 12:57:19 AM »

Does it matter?

Tell Michael Phelps, maybe he can mount a 1st Amendment defense (yes, I know about peyote).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 01:03:24 AM »

No. It is not a requirement or a tenant of Rastafari. Rastas emphasize "purity," and view God's natural creation as good. Rastas will cite biblical verses to defend the use of the natural herb (marijuana). Alcohol is strongly frowned upon, because many Rastas view themselves as partakers of the Nazarite vow; hence the dreadlocks. Alcohol is also viewed as something that involves death, because of the fermentation process.

When Haile Selassie sent Archbishop Yesehaq to Jamaica in order to establish the Orthodox Church, the issue of marijuana had to be dealt with very delicately. The Priests discourage its use, and do not have much tolerance or understanding for the Rastafari viewpoint on the matter. But to Archbishop Yesehaq's credit, he never made this an issue of contention that would preclude Rastas from being baptized. And it seems that the Priests today have followed this wise example. They are much more concerned with bringing Rastas out of the idolatry of Selassie worship, and pointing them to Our Lord and Savior Eyesus Kristos (Jesus Christ.)

I think there is a ecumenical statement that sums it up pretty well: "In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity." I like that!
Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2009, 01:06:24 AM »

I came to the Orthodox Church by way of Rastafari.

Were you interviewed by Kevin Allen?

No. I am not familiar with Kevin Allen. But I would gladly grant him an interview.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 04:55:26 AM »

The 'lost and found' can seem a bit contradictory when you think about it.

You know "lost" and "found".

It seems to me that it is one or the other.

How can something be "lost" and "found" at the same time?

If we analize this terminology a bit we know that first the 'owner' of something has to 'lose' it first for it to be 'lost'. That is clear. Then it follows that for that something to be 'found' the owner would have to 'find' it first before someone claims it in his stead.

Just soemthing to think about......
I had always thought of it as "objects that are lost by one person and found by another, who placed them here."

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2009, 08:03:45 PM »

The youtube channel states:
NAPTHALI- Argentina/Chile  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Argentina and Chile are both over 50% Caucasian!!! Funny thing about racists. They never do their homework very well.

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Tags: Rastafarianism Ethiopian Orthodox Church sola scriptura fundamentalism Christianity Ethiopia 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: