Author Topic: $1,000,000 Stewardship Question  (Read 14241 times)

Offline admiralnick

• Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
  • OC.net guru
Re: $1,000,000 Stewardship Question
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2008, 01:29:06 PM »
My parish has a budget around 130K which is probably not plausible for a supposed 130 people. They haven't switched to the Stewardship system and still use envelopes with a minimum of $450 to be considered a member. The reporting has been poor and the membership list has been challenged. Some people feel that 130K is too low and it doesn't encourage people to give more, but based on previous years' accounting records this isn't unreasonable.  At any rate, we would love to get a $1M budget but I don't see it happening.

-Nick
The ORIGINAL: "NULL"

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2008, 03:09:31 PM »
130 people or 130 families?
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline Nyssa The Hobbit

• Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
  • Elder
    • Who is this Nyssa person, anyway?
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2008, 07:46:23 PM »
still use envelopes with a minimum of $450 to be considered a member

I've never encountered this, being in a church which uses "stewardship" (which seems similar to the "tithes" I'm used to in Protestant churches, except that they don't talk about 10%).  So out of simple curiosity--What are these envelopes?  Are they for weekly, monthly, yearly?  $450 sounds pretty steep for a weekly or monthly requirement for everybody, since many people just don't make enough to afford that....
Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2008, 07:58:15 PM »
still use envelopes with a minimum of $450 to be considered a member

I've never encountered this, being in a church which uses "stewardship" (which seems similar to the "tithes" I'm used to in Protestant churches, except that they don't talk about 10%).  So out of simple curiosity--What are these envelopes?  Are they for weekly, monthly, yearly?  $450 sounds pretty steep for a weekly or monthly requirement for everybody, since many people just don't make enough to afford that....

$450 would be for the entire calendar year.

The envelopes are divided into 52 weeks plus Great Feasts (e.g. Easter, Christmas, etc.)

Using $450 as an example, a family can put $10 in an envelope for their weekly offering.  If a family misses Church and keeps track of missed donations, they put the appropriate amount in the envelope when they return to Church.  A family can also put in extra donations for the Major Feast Days.  As long as someone performs proper accounting of donations (after all, they are technically a secret except to those who administer Stewardship), the Church will send quarterly statements of donations, et al.

A good number of Churches still use the envelope system.  Churches send envelopes only to those who ask; Most people mail in checks for Stewardship.

Offline Nyssa The Hobbit

• Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
  • Elder
    • Who is this Nyssa person, anyway?
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2008, 08:06:48 PM »
$450 would be for the entire calendar year.

The envelopes are divided into 52 weeks plus Great Feasts (e.g. Easter, Christmas, etc.)

Using $450 as an example, a family can put $10 in an envelope for their weekly offering.  If a family misses Church and keeps track of missed donations, they put the appropriate amount in the envelope when they return to Church.  A family can also put in extra donations for the Major Feast Days.  As long as someone performs proper accounting of donations (after all, they are technically a secret except to those who administer Stewardship), the Church will send quarterly statements of donations, et al.

A good number of Churches still use the envelope system.  Churches send envelopes only to those who ask; Most people mail in checks for Stewardship.

Okay.  That's a relief.  :)  $450 divided into 52 weeks isn't bad as long as you have an income.  :)

The last couple of years, my church's stewardship committee has sent out letters which request a certain yearly amount to keep the bills paid, but it's not required for membership.
Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.

Offline admiralnick

• OC.net guru
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2008, 02:33:21 PM »
130 people or 130 families?

According to the membership list, people.

-Nick

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2009, 12:31:52 AM »
Update:

Through 3/25/09, Parishioniers have pledged $392,000 towards the $1,000,000 Stewardship goal at an average of $814 per pledge.

In the recent monthly bulletin, no mention of the goal was made.  I ought to say, "I told you so" except I feel sad.   :(  :'(  :(

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2009, 07:29:34 AM »
Update:

Through 3/25/09, Parishioniers have pledged $392,000 towards the $1,000,000 Stewardship goal at an average of $814 per pledge.

In the recent monthly bulletin, no mention of the goal was made.  I ought to say, "I told you so" except I feel sad.   :(  :'(  :(

The Stewardship Chairman at our parish is set on going a month or two without putting a membership update (i.e. pledges and amount pledged), just to discourage people from looking at the update and saying "oh, people have already pledged enough to the Church..."
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.  

How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline admiralnick

• OC.net guru
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2009, 05:17:52 PM »

The Stewardship Chairman at our parish is set on going a month or two without putting a membership update (i.e. pledges and amount pledged), just to discourage people from looking at the update and saying "oh, people have already pledged enough to the Church..."

I've seen that before.... It caused alot of problems in a certain church that wil not be mentioned.

-Nick

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
Update:

The Stewardship goal (and budget) for 2010 were reduced to $700,000 at the recent Parish Assembly in late November.

Lord have Mercy.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2009, 07:05:42 PM »
A recent statistical analysis of a parish in my Metropolis (not close enough to me to cause a problem, thankfully ;) ) revealed that 2% of the stewards contributed 1/3 of the stewardship total, while 50% gave at levels that, if one were to use traditional models of stewardship giving like 10%, or 5%, or even 2% to predict their income, would indicate that they live below the Federal Poverty guideline for their household/situation.  This parish gets about $475,000 in stewardship from 500 families.
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.  

How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam