OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 10:07:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: May 2008 Post of the Month!  (Read 3522 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: June 10, 2008, 06:08:36 AM »

(OC.NET PALACE) - An agitated mob remained under the expansive balcony of the OC.net Palace, waiting patiently for the greatly anticipated announcement of the May Post of the Month.  Just as the popcorn vendors were reaching critically-low reserve levels, and the price of a buttered bag spiked to over $98.00 OCND ($0.21 USD), the familiar blaring of the trumpets was heard.

Suddenly, onto the balcony of FrChris' brewpub came the global moderators who, holding an unusually large-sized scroll, began to announce as with one voice: "It is our great privilege to announce to you, and to proclaim to the corners of the OC.net world, the May Post of the Month, as written by our beloved brother, BrotherAidan!"

Just because evangelicals, whether Orthodox converts or still protestant come equipped with a ready made vocabulary of personal faith and piety doesn't mean they really are.

What I noticed right away when I began the journey to Orthdoxy is that Orthdodox people don't have the vocabulary of personal faith that evangelicals do. By this I mean the evangelical talk of a  "personal" relationship with Jesus; "quiet time,"   "God told me" (aside: when I hear this I usually want to run for the nearest door)   "the Lord led me"     "commitment"    "giving one's life to Christ"     "sharing"         "God spoke to me through scripture" (the apex of sola scriptura).

Anyway, evangelicals carry this vocabulary of personalized religion into Orthodoxy; they quickly learn the new lingo and can answer all the protestant objections to Orthodoxy. The really smart ones might remember alot of quotes from the Fathers or what the various canons say. And every one thinks they are pious and better Orthodox Christians.

Life-long Orthdox will be more reticent. They may talk of a rule of prayer, but won't easily volunteer (so as not to brag) about their own rule of prayer; they will talk more of the liturgy; if they brag, it won't be about themselves but about an uncle or their mother or the priest they grew up under. But you can bet, they absorbed alot from them and likely practice it themselves. Like some Roman Catholics, they might not have scruples about saying a few cuss words or having a drink.

So evangelical converts wrongly conclude they are not pious or are ignorant. Meanwhile. the elderly of these "ignorant" people, with great pain and effort, make their aching prostrations during lent. In fact it might take them the whole sequence of every one else's three prostrations just to get their old arthritic bodies to do one. Just getting up the stairs into the church is their greatest prostration that they do (at least I beleive
God sees it as such).

Then again there are humble and sincere converts as well as cradles that take it all for granted and for whom Orthodoxy is more of a nationality thing.

Fortunately, I don't know people that are like the latter description. As someone already said, it is really an individual thing. person by person.

But it is better not to judge at all and remember the Lenten prayer we say about not judging my brother's sin.
Because really, we don't know the other person's starting point. Someone else's sporadic attendance at liturgy but involvement in all the ethnic food activities may be much further along in his/her journey than I am. In the end, each of us can only judge oneself. And pray.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 06:09:35 AM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 06:26:07 AM »

Congrats BrotherAidan!  Now where is that popcorn?

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 08:39:28 AM »

Very good choice.

Bravo!

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 09:09:06 AM »

AXIOS!

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 09:24:40 AM »

Axios!

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 09:43:34 AM »

Axios! Congratulations, BrotherAiden!  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 09:44:14 AM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 10:03:07 AM »

Axios! 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 10:49:48 AM »

Great post Brother Aidan!!!  Well chosen moderators!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 12:32:40 PM »

Axios!

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 03:07:31 PM »

Worthy!
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 06:27:35 PM »

AXIOS!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 12:18:06 AM »

SmileyCentral.com" border="0SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 01:12:17 AM »

Bravo, Brother Aidan! Excellent! Very well deserved!
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 01:35:11 AM »

Axios Axios

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 06:00:29 PM »

Most definitely AXIOS. Excellent post.

Love never fails.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 10:24:15 PM »

AXIOS!
Tags: Post of the Month 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: