OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 05:37:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Orthodox Prayers of Old England"  (Read 1638 times) Average Rating: 0
Suaiden
Dcn Joseph Suaiden
Elder

« on: June 05, 2008, 06:28:26 PM »

For this feast of the Ascension, we were unfortunately stuck at home, a circumstance we are hoping will end soon. It gave me time to reflect, and remember that we need to be better Orthodox Christians, and I wanted to apologize to all on the list I have offended.

However, a book came in the mail today I was waiting for: Orthodox Prayers of Old England, compiled by Hieromonk Aidan (Keller), formerly of the Milan Synod, and currently a member of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad.  It is an impressive text, opening flat and designed to be easily read, 422 pages on thick paper with a complete index afterward.

While it has some minor differences with the typical language of the texts produced by St Gregory's Press, the liturgical arm of the Milan Synod's Eastern Archdiocese, it is surprisingly complete for a prayer-book.  This book is more than sufficient for an Orthodox Christian of the West "trapped in the desert"; it includes morning and evening prayers, the schema for the liturgical hours, both the Eastern and Western Eucharistic liturgies, Missa Sicca (dry mass, or typica), and more prayers than I have ever seen in a simple prayer book (it has prayers for everything from gossip to vermin infestations).  It contains a sanctoral, rules for fasts, confession, services for the sick and weddings, and even funerals.  It has the arrangement of the psalter and offices and compline for the Mother of God and the Guardian Angel, devotions, a Gaelic litany....  It is almost like a little Western "Book of Needs".  Prayers from a large number of pre-schism saints, including some I've never heard of until I saw this book.

I am very grateful to Father Aidan for producing this book, and I wholeheartedly recommend it.  I only had held it and seen it a couple of times a few years back; in my possession, I am a million times more amazed than before.

Thus, I can say a Missa Sicca of thanksgiving (p.368) Smiley
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 06:39:16 PM by Suaiden » Logged

Still a Deacon of the Autonomous Metropolia, Nope, Still Don't Like Ecumenism, Yep, Still Western "Rite"
Tags: prayer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: