OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 02:08:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Matt. 15:5-6  (Read 1908 times) Average Rating: 0
MaryCecilia
Struggler

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: currently attending an Antiochian parish

« on: June 05, 2008, 09:21:37 PM »

Matt. 15:5-6  "...But you say, "Whoever says to his father or mother, Whatever profit you might have received from me is a gift to God-- then he need not honor his father or mother. Thus you have made the commandment of God of no effect by your tradition." (emphasis mine) 

i had a question on these verses. i don't understand what they are trying to say, especially the part i bolded...what is that supposed to mean? i know He's talking to the Pharisees, i just don't understand it aside from the fact that what the Pharisees does is disrespectful to their parents, can you please explain this to me? Thanks very much!

mary

Mary Cecilia passed into eternal life on Jan 2, 2010.  May her memory be eternal!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 09:32:36 PM »

Matt. 15:5-6  "...But you say, "Whoever says to his father or mother, Whatever profit you might have received from me is a gift to God-- then he need not honor his father or mother. Thus you have made the commandment of God of no effect by your tradition." (emphasis mine) 

i had a question on these verses. i don't understand what they are trying to say, especially the part i bolded...what is that supposed to mean? i know He's talking to the Pharisees, i just don't understand it aside from the fact that what the Pharisees does is disrespectful to their parents, can you please explain this to me? Thanks very much!

mary

What is being condemned here is a legal loophole: by saying something was dedicated to God, the person was relieved of counting it in the aid due to the support of aged parents.  Sort of like a tax shelter to get out of paying social security, just more direct.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 10:34:52 PM »

I also wondered about that passage. Fwiw I checked out the commentary on it by Chrysostom, and his answer seems to be along the lines of that given by ialmisry:

And what He saith is like this. “They taught the young, under the garb of piety, to despise their fathers.” How, and in what way? If one of their parents said to his child, "Give me this sheep that thou hast, or this calf, or any such thing," they used to say: "This is a gift to God, whereby thou wouldest be profited by me, and thou canst not have it." And two evils hence arose: on the one hand they did not bring them to God, on the other they defrauded their parents under the name of the offering, alike insulting their parents for God’s sake, and God for their parents’ sake. - St. John Chrysostom, Homily 51 on Matthew

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 10:55:24 PM »

^ OSB (Orthodox Study Bible) comments that the commandment of God cannot be superseded by man's religious traditions.  Devotion to God includes both obediences to His commandments and service to others - these two cannot be separated.

For example (and to use a controversial topic as such), Same Sex Marriages are accepted by many "Christian" demoninations based on man's religious traditions even though they violate God's commandment prohibiting homosexual behavior.  The concept of same sex marriages will never supersede the commandment prohibiting homosexual behavior.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 11:13:47 PM »

For example (and to use a controversial topic as such), Same Sex Marriages are accepted by many "Christian" demoninations based on man's religious traditions even though they violate God's commandment prohibiting homosexual behavior.  The concept of same sex marriages will never supersede the commandment prohibiting homosexual behavior.
Be careful now, lest this statement leads to this thread getting hijacked. Wink
MaryCecilia
Struggler

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: currently attending an Antiochian parish

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 11:30:38 PM »

thanks everyone for your responces, i think i understand it a bit better....so thanks again and i agree with peter, i hope this thread stays on topic! Smiley

mary

Mary Cecilia passed into eternal life on Jan 2, 2010.  May her memory be eternal!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 12:33:43 AM »

Be careful now, lest this statement leads to this thread getting hijacked. Wink

I've woven this into another thread on same sex marriage.
as I thought it was an interesting take.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: New Testament Gospels parents Law of God Gospel of Matthew Scripture 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: