OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 07:06:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Latin Rite Orthodox?  (Read 1516 times) Average Rating: 0
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« on: November 12, 2008, 10:13:49 PM »

So I'm having a discussion with a friend of mine in seminary, and he mentioned that they held what some called a "Latin Rite" Orthodox Service at one of the local churches.  When I asked him to describe it, he said that there was this black and gold Missal, and there were two rites in the book, but that Sunday they were using St. Gregory's liturgy, and that some of the singing was in a chant he wasn't familiar with and in Latin, and.....well, its sounded to me like he was refering to a Western Rite Orthodox Service, like the Church I attend.

I have never heard the W. R. Refered to as Latin Rite.  So I guess my question is, it is appropriate to call the Western Rite the "Latin Rite", or is that too controverisal?

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:01:38 PM »

So I'm having a discussion with a friend of mine in seminary, and he mentioned that they held what some called a "Latin Rite" Orthodox Service at one of the local churches.  When I asked him to describe it, he said that there was this black and gold Missal, and there were two rites in the book, but that Sunday they were using St. Gregory's liturgy, and that some of the singing was in a chant he wasn't familiar with and in Latin, and.....well, its sounded to me like he was refering to a Western Rite Orthodox Service, like the Church I attend.

I have never heard the W. R. Refered to as Latin Rite.  So I guess my question is, it is appropriate to call the Western Rite the "Latin Rite", or is that too controverisal?

All right to whom?

I've heard it referred to as Latin rite.  I've only been to two DLs, one St. Gregory, the other St. Tikhon.  The St. Gregory has parts in Latin.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 07:33:27 AM »

I think it might be confusing, though I don't find it particularly offensive. But then, I'm not attending a Western Rite parish, so I don't really have much place to say either way.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
VirSpeluncaeOrthodoxae
Da Orthodox Caveman! aka "Cavey"

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch...for now

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 06:54:26 PM »

Latin Rite most accurately applies to the Pope Gregory Mass, the St. Tikhon Mass is patterned after the old Anglican one.

http://www.westernorthodox.com/

Medieval, backwards, rigid, narrow-minded Traditionalist, Western Rite lover and proud of it! Make my day.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: