OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 05:53:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: pastor's perspective a call in show hosted by calvary chapel in costa mesa ca  (Read 3942 times) Average Rating: 0
josephgodleski1966

« on: September 08, 2008, 11:45:32 AM »

this phony protestant named chuck smith  airs a call in radio show from 3-4 pm pacific time
4-5pm  mountain time  5-6pm central  6-7pm eastern you will find his program on most calvary chapel
owned radio stations i called him once and asked him what he throught of the eastern orthodox church
he called us very weak in the bible truth  as a church and compared us to roman catholic
i urge  all eastern orthodox christians to call this phone # 1-888-564-6173
at the times listed at the top is when the radio show is on and telll chuck smith
he is wrong and he knows nothing of the eastern orthodox church or its history or beliefs
and the beauty of the worship and our church holds to scriptural truth unlike protestants
who make up interpetations as they go
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 01:53:51 PM by josephgodleski1966 » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 12:40:02 PM »

What did you expect when you called in?
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 01:05:35 PM »

What did you expect when you called in?

LOL. He was just inviting a smackdown.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 01:16:30 PM »

he is wrong and he knows nothing of the eastern orthodox church or its history or beliefs

He certainly knows enough to disagree:

Prayer and devotion to saints...check.

Devotion to the Theotokos...check.

Episcopacy and apostolic succession...check.

Holy images...check.

Sacraments/Holy Mysteries...check.

Denial of substitutionary atonement...check.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

-

You'd best simply steer clear of theological arguments with these types. And don't waste your time on debating Scripture with them...they believe the "plain meaning" of Scripture is clear, and it happens to perfectly coincide with their interpretation of it. I banged my head against this brick wall last weekend in a disagreement with my Baptist father. "MY authority is Scripture!" "No, your authority is your own personal interpretation of Scripture." And so on, in one big circle...

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 03:51:56 PM »

It's been my experience that radio talk show hosts, especially those with call-in shows, tend to have bloated egos. They're convinced that they are correct, so there's no reasoning with them. Let them have their soapbox; the best way to defeat them is actually not to call in, because these shows are ratings-driven and will be pulled from the air if people stop listening.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
josephgodleski1966

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 04:12:19 PM »

right but we can not allow people  like that to give false information about a subject
they do not know anyting about
people will listen and assume that his opinion is correct and that the eastern orthodox church
is weak in biblical scriptures  as he told me  in response to my call maybe 500,000 people
could listen everyday to this man and they now believe his lie
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 04:17:20 PM »

^ We can't? This is not Soviet Russia. We don't arrest people for thought crimes. The man can say whatever he pleases, even if it is a lie. It's in our Constitution, and like it or not he is perfectly within his rights to say whatever he believes.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 05:05:09 PM »

I think he means we shouldn't allow talk like that to go unchallenged.  I don't think he's calling for legislation to ban the guy.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 05:12:13 PM »

right but we can not allow people  like that to give false information about a subject
they do not know anyting about
people will listen and assume that his opinion is correct and that the eastern orthodox church
is weak in biblical scriptures  as he told me  in response to my call maybe 500,000 people
could listen everyday to this man and they now believe his lie

I can think of more constructive things to do than waste our time correcting the host of a Protestant radio talk show.  I mean, what do we have to gain from sounding like defensive whiners?  We could focus instead on making the Orthodox Church and her faith more visible to the public through such ministries as Ancient Faith Radio.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 05:17:02 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 10:11:42 PM »

I think he means we shouldn't allow talk like that to go unchallenged.  I don't think he's calling for legislation to ban the guy.
Still, do we need to challenge him on his own terms? Why can't we just teach those who are willing to listen? Arguing with people who don't know Orthodoxy from a hole in the ground isn't very productive, in my experience.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 10:11:51 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

josephgodleski1966

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 11:25:51 AM »

yes this is exactly what i mean not that we can have the man censored
but if enough eastern orthodox Christians call this show and challenge
chuck smith and he is unable to answer the quetions
his audience will see that chuck smith can be wrong on things
and people will then question other answers he has given in the past
 like his view on the roman catholic church which this chuck smith is very harsh
on also and compared us with them which is very unfair
to judge us by using the church of rome as a comparison to
our docrtines and beliefs we share many and we  also differ on many too 
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 11:45:09 AM »

He will not be unable to answer them. He will just spout his rhetoric, to which his audience clings. Even if he cannot answer, his audience will not lose faith in him. If they do not see that he is wrong for spewing hatred, they will not see even if one of us tells him he is wrong. What did the rich man ask?: to go to his brothers and warn them about hell. What did Abraham say? "They have Moses and the Prophets; if they do not listen to them, they will not listen even if someone comes to them from the dead."

There are much more important things in this world than a radio show. Let us instead focus on feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, housing the homeless. Then these people whom we have helped will see Christ, and it won't matter to them what some idiot is saying into a microphone.

josephgodleski1966

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 01:09:12 PM »

i agree with you i just hate have to hear this all the time i go to christian coffee houses
or other christiian singles events and  when you mention what church you attend
the most response is oh are you like the roman catholics and if so they are unbiblical
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 01:33:44 PM »

i agree with you i just hate have to hear this all the time i go to christian coffee houses
or other christiian singles events and  when you mention what church you attend
the most response is oh are you like the roman catholics and if so they are unbiblical

Part of the marytrdom to which we are called as Orthodox in a land full of Protestants, I suppose. Wink
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 02:25:33 PM »

The USA is the land of the 'protestants'. Most of people already have these wierd beliefs about the Holy Church.

Most do not even know what "eastern orthodox" means.

Sadly these people the 'apostles' and the church fathers are Calvin, Zwigley, Luther, Williams and so on.

You would fair better teaching calculus to a 5 year old who has not learned to count to 3 yet in my opinion.

It is best to move on.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 02:28:53 PM by Amdetsion » Logged

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: