OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 11:44:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Memory Eternal!  (Read 2467 times) Average Rating: 0
Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« on: June 04, 2008, 08:08:54 PM »

Our long time choir director, chanter and former parish council president passed away yesterday. He was a multi-talented man who chose to leave the Greek Archdiocese in order to serve the evangelicals who came into our archdiocese.

Memory eternal! Aionia Mneme! Dear John, you will be missed! love, Tamara  Cry

To understand the impact he had on the parishioners in our mostly convert parish please read the message below. It really says it all.

I hesitate to say anything but can't resist saying how much John mattered to this shaky ex-Protestant. He wanted to be where he could help converts and he did.

I'll always be grateful to John and his wife for their gentle, generous and constant giving.  John lived the steadiness of Christ.  Though silenced, his chanting still echoes clearly inside.  By teaching me to sing with the church he shaped my hard heart for the better.

Memory eternal blessed brother John!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 12:40:40 AM by Tamara » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 08:18:28 PM »

Memory Eternal!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 08:22:14 PM »

Memory Eternal!

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
SolEX01
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 08:23:52 PM »

May His Memory be Eternal and Everlasting.
Lord, have mercy.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 08:24:33 PM »

Memory Eternal!
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 08:25:23 PM »

Memory eternal.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 08:44:52 PM »

Memory eternal.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 08:45:32 PM »

Memory Eternal.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 08:59:43 PM »

"Everlasting Be Thy Memory, Thou Who Are Worthy of Blessedness and Eternal Memory."

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 09:12:33 PM »

May His Memory Be Eternal........SmileyCentral.com" border="0Grant Lord That He May Find Rest Among Thy Rightious...amen

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 09:40:17 PM »

Memory Eternal!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 10:40:42 PM »

May He remember all thy offerings and accept the fat of thy holocausts.

Eternal Memory.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 05:12:56 AM »

Memory eternal.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 06:55:26 AM »

Memory eternal.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 07:50:37 AM »

Memory Eternal.

Love never fails.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 07:55:28 AM »

Memory eternal.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 08:22:31 AM »

Eternal memory! Eternal Memory! Eternal Memory!

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 10:57:10 PM »

Kyrie Eleison! Jarhad Barham! Lord, have mercy!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 11:01:41 PM »

May John's memory be eternal.
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 01:38:16 AM »

EULOGY  John written by his grandaughter

John was of 100% Greek ancestry.  He said that Greeks build great buildings; look at the structures of Ancient Greece, look today at many of our Greek Orthodox churches.  John, however, was not a building builder.  John built organizations.
     Concurrent with his success of restructuring and bringing Garden City Supply from a company of less than $100,000 a year to one of over $4 million, he was one of the four founding members of the Pride buying group.  This group was the first member-owned buying group in the food service supply industry and quickly became one of the most effective and admired in that industry.  He also was on the ground level of developing Trade Advantage, an importing company for restaurant equipment and supplies.  He supported these organizations and FEDA, another professional industry organization, by serving on the boards and committees.
     John also helped found churches.  The first project John was involved in when he moved to San Jose and to St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church was the founding of St. Basil Greek Orthodox Church.  John served as chairman of that group.  He was inspired in that process upon attending a conference at Holy Cross Seminary, jointly sponsored by the newly formed OCMC, Orthodox Christian Mission Center.  His request that memorial donations be made to OCMC comes from his desire that the Word of God be spread, the Church be strengthened and grow.
     After serving as psalty at St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church for seven years, God called John to a new challenge.  There was need for a new organization.  John joined the San Jose Mission which was beginning to have services, a group which soon merged with a Vineyard church to become the present St. Stephen Orthodox Church.  John was the first Chairman of the Parish Council, serving as such for the six years that he was a member of that body.  During that time he also led the committee to find church property, resulting in the present location.  He is grateful to God that his name is sealed in the altar as one of the founding members.  Any memorial donation to St. Stephen in his name will be a fund for future procurement of property, either next to the present location or for a new, larger facility.
     But John was also a builder of relationships.   John built strong relationships with his family. His marriage, based on his and Roberta’s faith in God, is one of great unity and joy.  His daughter and her family are a source of comfort and delight.
    And he built relationships with choir members who served God in song under his direction, with the chanters that he trained, with fellow chanters across the country and with foodservice industry people nationwide.
     John has always shared his time, his common sense advice, and his resources liberally with these loved ones.  He was a great problem solver for many--focused, reliable, with a faith that did not waver.  Even in his last struggles with disease there was a peace about him.  He was always sure that God was with him; he was always seeking to follow God’s Will.
      When John was courting Roberta, he wrote to her a line which convinced her that this was her man.  He wrote, “I will love you as much as is humanly possible, but I will always love God more.”
      John’s life is dedicated to the ones he loves, ultimately to our Triune God.
Lauren_Elisse
Elder

Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: United States

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 11:46:44 AM »

Lord Have Mercy!

Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: