OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 12:08:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canadian Revivalist claims hundreds of healings  (Read 5691 times) Average Rating: 0
_Seraphim_
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« on: June 04, 2008, 11:01:39 AM »

Full article

The 32-year-old Canadian evangelist Todd Bentley looks more like a biker than a minister, with body piercings and tattoos all over his arms and neck. But the crowds don't seem to mind how he looks. They just want what they believe Bentley has – the ability to heal them.  He yells out nearly every evening to the thousands who gather to hear him preach:

"Holy Spirit fall! God is here! We want more! More, more, more!"

"I say, you have nothing to lose but your sickness. If the doctors can't help you, why wouldn't you give God a chance?"

"If you want God, just come get some!”

What seems to be drawing all these people of varying ages, ethnicities, and classes is a clear hunger for what Bentley's meetings are offering: the hope of healing and some sort of touch from God.

Lord Jesus Christ, may these people find Your True Church, Your True Body, where they may be truly touched and truly healed.

+Lord have mercy
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 11:02:51 AM by _Seraphim_ » Logged

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 11:20:39 AM »

Eek.  Sounds like another Benny Hinn in the making.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 01:04:02 PM »

Well, time will tell whether Bentley is a con artist or merely delusional. These healers are always at least one of those.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 01:09:55 PM »

I think he probably has good intentions, but it seems these types of healing ministries quickly fall prey to greed once the acolytes begin throwing offerings at them.  What especially raises a red flag in my mind is that he doesn't seem to have any education in the church, just a fervent belief.  Belief is great but it must always always always be accompanied by discernment, and that's something that must be cultivated over a lifetime and preferably with close supervision under a priest or monastic.  Upstart groups like this are just easy pickings for evil influences. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 01:56:07 PM »

Its like the Simpsons episode where Bart becomes the Healer and helps Lushenko kick the winning field goal to help Springfield U beat Springfield A&M.

"Now let me hear it, aaaah for the Holy Spirit aaahh!"

LOL

-nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 01:58:35 PM »

^LOL!  Simpsons and Seinfeld, the definers of life.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 03:42:26 PM »

I think he probably has good intentions, but it seems these types of healing ministries quickly fall prey to greed once the acolytes begin throwing offerings at them.  What especially raises a red flag in my mind is that he doesn't seem to have any education in the church, just a fervent belief.  Belief is great but it must always always always be accompanied by discernment, and that's something that must be cultivated over a lifetime and preferably with close supervision under a priest or monastic.  Upstart groups like this are just easy pickings for evil influences. 

Wasn't last Sunday's Epistle Reading (Sunday of the Blind Man) about a woman who was a soothsayer?

we were met by a slave girl who had a spirit of divination and brought her owners much gain by soothsaying. She followed Paul and us, crying, "These men are servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to you the way of salvation." And this she did for many days. But Paul was annoyed, and turned and said to the spirit, "I charge you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her." And it came out that very hour. But when her owners saw that their hope of gain was gone, they seized Paul and Silas and dragged them into the market place before the rulers; and when they had brought them to the magistrates they said, "These men are Jews and they are disturbing our city.

Both Bentley and Benny Hinn (and others) are akin to the soothsayer from the above Epistle.  In my opinion, Pat Robertson is the ultimate soothsayer since he is connected to the "rulers and magistrates" throughout the US Government.
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 07:44:50 PM »

In my opinion, Pat Robertson is the ultimate soothsayer since he is connected to the "rulers and magistrates" throughout the US Government.

That, and he claims to get "words of knowledge/wisdom" about healings and what is going to happen in government in the next year or so....

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Tags: Canada tent revivals Protestant Christianity faith healers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: