OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 05:28:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An original take on Chalcedon  (Read 1913 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodox11
Archon

« on: June 04, 2008, 09:47:33 AM »

Perhaps this should have gone in the Random Topics section, not sure.

2008/09 is the final year of my bachelors, which means I'll have to write a dissertation. Although I'm not a theology student, the structure of my degree is fairly flexible, allowing me to write a theology-oriented dissertation. I am thinking of writing it on Chalcedon. However, I don't particularly want to regurgitate other people's ideas and produce some kind of summary of V.C. Samuel, Romanides and the Joint Comission.

I have a few undeveloped ideas already (I only got the Chalcedon topic approved by my supervisor today) but I would be interested in hearing any suggestions you might have of unexplored (or rather, under-explored) approaches, events or ideas surrounding the Chalcedonian controversy. Any book recommendations - specific or general - would also be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Thanks!
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 09:53:12 AM »

Actually, Orthodox11, I have always been intrigued with the last canon produced at Chalcedon (at least I think it's the last of the canons there produced) and wondered if it may not be interpreted that the 4th Council is somewhat still open or at least affords some canonical mechanism for re-union. This would have to set in the proper historical setting.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Fr.Kyrillos

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 11:33:21 AM »

Dear Orthodox11,

You may want to listen to the following lecture by Dr. Jeffrey Macdonald (Eastern Orthodox) on Chalcedon here:

http://orthodoxchurchhistory.com/uploads/13-4th_Ec_Council.mp3

His take on the events and especially Rome's role is interesting.  Perhaps his lecture will inspire some ideas for you to pursue. 

Also, I understand that there is fairly new (?) translation of the complete acts and minutes of Chalcedon available in English...it would be interesting to do a study comparing the minutes to the traditional accounts of the council in most Western studies and books and discuss the biases that have pervaded down the centuries.

May the Lord bless your work.

Fr. Kyrillos
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 10:37:44 AM »

Fr.Kyrillos, bless me please as I kiss your holy hand. Was not there a Roman Pope in the past few hundred years who published the minutes of Chalcedon amongst the Copts and Syrians only to find our Churches rejoicing that they proved we were right and so this Pope gathered and burned them? Is not this mentioned in the Coptic Synaxarium? I seem to remember reading it not too long ago that's all.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 11:06:12 AM »

Thanks for all your ideas. My supervisor finally got back to me. Following her recommendation to narrow my scope somewhat, I've decided to focus (though not exclusively) on the writings of St. John of Damascus and Severos of Antioch.

I already have St. John's The Fount of Knowledge, V.C. Samuel's Chalcedon Re-Examined, and I just ordered a copy of Severus of Antioch (Early Church Fathers), by Pauline Allen.

Can anyone recommend any good primary or secondary sources that relate to John and/or Severos' writings on points of Christology relevant to the Chalcedonian controversy?

Thank you
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 11:07:06 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 05:21:34 PM »

These are the only sources I can think of:

http://www.lulu.com/orthodoxlibrary

http://www.britishorthodox.org/readings.php

You may want to try to contact Peter Ferrington through the British Orthodox Church.  He used to post here, but not any longer.  He knows just about everything about St. Severus and his writings.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 06:20:10 PM »

This is not something you can find online or on online bookstores, but if you can get Roberta Chestnut's thesis on Severus of Antioch, it's very comprehensive on what Severus believes.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Jimmy
Maronite

Faith: Maronite Catholic

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 09:53:56 PM »

There is a three volume set of the canons and acts of the council of Chalcedon.  It can be purchased at amazon.com.  Here is the link.

http://www.amazon.com/Council-Chalcedon-Liverpool-University-Press/dp/1846311004/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221875244&sr=1-1

You could also get the book "Christology after Chalcedon" which is Severus of Antioch's debate with Sergius the grammarian.

http://www.amazon.com/Christology-After-Chalcedon-Iain-Torrance/dp/1579101100/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221875392&sr=1-1

The book you mentioned above of Severus's writings is pretty good. 
Aidan

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 10:57:57 AM »

I recently bought a copy of Christology after Chalcedonby Iain R Torrance. I know where you live so feel free to borrow.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 05:22:21 AM »

Another original take on Chalcedon.  Be aware:  contains humour.   Smiley

Chalcedon Canon 28:

Historic Truth or Greek Mythology?
By: Nick Katich

http://ocanews.org/news/katich5.20.09.html

Whenever one forays into the on-going discussion concerning the original meaning of Chalcedonian Canon 28, one can certainly not ignore undertaking a textual analysis of Canon 28. And this is precisely what Alexei II of Blessed Memory did in his letter to the Phanar of March 18, 2002.(1)
Tags: Chalcedon St. Severus Oriental Orthodox library British Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: