OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 11:05:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mark 4:24  (Read 811 times) Average Rating: 0
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Russians. Even when holding a cat they're dour.

« on: June 04, 2008, 01:22:45 AM »

Ok, Matt. 7:2 I understand...

Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye. - Matt. 7:1-5 (Emphasis mine)

This seems pretty straight forward: if you judge someone, be ready to be judged using the same measure (e.g. if you're harsh, expect a harsh judgment). What I don't understand is a similar remark in Mark 4:24:

If any man have ears to hear, let him hear. And he said unto them, Take heed what ye hear: with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you: and unto you that hear shall more be given. For he that hath, to him shall be given: and he that hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he hath. - Mark 4:23-25 (Emphasis mine)

I don't really understand what this means in that context. Any thoughts?
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 01:50:33 AM »

According to the notes for this verse in the OSB;

"A call to attentive listening and discriminating response, both requisites for understanding and experiencing the truth of Christ.  We must not only hear but hear properly.  More will be given to those who respond to Jesus with open hearts; they will grow in understanding.  "Do the good you know, and you do not know will be revealed to you" (St. Mark the Ascetic, 6th century).  See notes on Matt. 7:2, 13:12; Luke 6:37, 38; 8:18"

Hope this helps.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 08:52:55 AM »

Blessed Theophylact says:
"He exorts His disciples to spiritual sobriety. "Take heed" He says, "what you hear," let nothing of what I say slip away from you. For "with what measure ye mete it shall be measured to you;" that is, whatever degree of attention you give Me, by the same degree will you receive benefit. For if a listener pays the utmost attention, God will give him in return great benefit. But if he is lax, the degree of benefit will likewise be less. He who has eagerness and zeal will receive benefit. But from him who does not have eagerness and zeal, even what he thinks he has will be taken away. Even the small spark of zeal which he used to have is extinguished by laziness, just as it is kindled by attention."

My thoughts:
Christ is calling us to spiritual maturity- we are to "act our age". It's OK to have a fifth grade understanding of God if I am in the fifth grade, but if that same understanding of the Faith is what I carry on into adulthood and I do not put the effort in to spiritual growth (mete out a larger measure), the minimal understanding and Faith I have will be taken away.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Russians. Even when holding a cat they're dour.

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 08:58:08 AM »

That makes sense, thank you both. Smiley
Tags: Scripture Gospels New Testament Gospel of Mark 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: