OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 01:00:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greek New martyrs  (Read 821 times) Average Rating: 0
BasilCan

« on: June 03, 2008, 10:00:06 PM »

In the Synaxarion (book of saints) there are quite a few Greek New Martyrs from the period when the Greek Orthodox were subject to the Ottoman Greeks. I read somewhere that the stories of these new martyrs, which are for the most part similar: An orthodox converts to islam, eventually he feels remorse, returns to Orthodoxy and then is sent by his spiritual father to confess his conversion to the authorities (conversion to Christianity being illegal under Islamic law- the punishment being torture and death) back to Christianity. The person is tortured and killed. I believe I read somewhere that these stories, while very true and based upon fact, were circulated amongst the Greek population to stop the ever increasing tide of conversions to Islam in the 15th to 19th centuries. Does anyone  know of any journals or books that discuss the phenomena of the new Greek martyrs?

Basil
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 10:11:20 PM »

You might want to check this out...
http://www.svspress.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_4&products_id=285

It is a great book with many wonderful hagiographies. One of my favorites is John the Bartender.

Joseph
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 10:15:50 PM »

In the Synaxarion (book of saints) there are quite a few Greek New Martyrs from the period when the Greek Orthodox were subject to the Ottoman Greeks. I read somewhere that the stories of these new martyrs, which are for the most part similar: An orthodox converts to islam, eventually he feels remorse, returns to Orthodoxy and then is sent by his spiritual father to confess his conversion to the authorities (conversion to Christianity being illegal under Islamic law- the punishment being torture and death) back to Christianity. The person is tortured and killed. I believe I read somewhere that these stories, while very true and based upon fact, were circulated amongst the Greek population to stop the ever increasing tide of conversions to Islam in the 15th to 19th centuries. Does anyone  know of any journals or books that discuss the phenomena of the new Greek martyrs?

Basil

Btw, there is the related phenomena of Turks converting and being martyred.  And the ones who weren't martyred, contributed to the Karamanlis, Turkish Orthodox.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: saints Islam persecution martyr 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: