OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 08:46:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayers for a strained (perhaps broken) friendship  (Read 3226 times) Average Rating: 0
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« on: June 02, 2008, 07:01:38 PM »

Well, in my three years on this forum, I've never asked for a prayer here, but I think now is as good a time as any:

I guess it all started a week ago. I'm apart of a circle of 4 friends, one of which (a female) has recently become desperate for attention, the reasons still being unknown. I chose to ignore her yesterday when she faked an illness (and admitted to it) to gain sympathy.

Anyway, one of my friends is sick of her and has broken off contact, while the other feeds her emotional dependency. He demanded that I apologize, and when I asked for what, simply said "it's the only thing that will keep it all from breaking apart." I relented, called her, apologized, but she hung up before I could say anything else. The second call I made was blocked.

The friend that then pressured me to call her got angry at me, and now we're not speaking, effectively splitting what was an extremely close knit group of 4 into two factions of 2. What's worse, I didn't see it coming at all; most all developments came within the past 2 days.

Prayers that this will work itself out. I'd hate to see it end in such a petty way.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 07:02:35 PM by Simayan » Logged

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 07:09:01 PM »

Lord have mercy.

May I also recommend this book.
Don't play the games- you will just lose yourself. Stay honest.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 07:09:51 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 07:23:47 PM »

Lord have mercy.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 07:39:57 PM »

Lord have mercy! It sounds like it would be very helpful  if your friend could get some professional  counselling...

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 07:53:03 PM »

Lord have mercy.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 07:55:14 PM »

Thank you for all of your prayers.

It sounds like it would be very helpful  if your friend could get some professional  counselling...

Don't play the games- you will just lose yourself. Stay honest.

That's the problem I have. I can't stand to be around her, but I still care for the fact that she is dangerously co-dependent. I suppose a break had to occur eventually, it's just a shame that it happened for such a foolish reason.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 09:02:37 PM »

Lord have mercy.  Ozgeorge has good advice here.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 11:50:03 PM »

Lord, have mercy.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 03:39:14 AM »

Lord Have Mercy

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 07:33:29 AM »

Lord have mercy.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 07:53:16 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Love never fails.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 10:03:27 AM »

Gospode Pomiluj......SmileyCentral.com" border="0Lord Have Mercy

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 08:08:17 PM »

Update time.

Great news, though. I decided that because I was leaving on a trip for a week, I would call one last time to try and work all of this out (or else it would be on my mind the whole time, making it un-enjoyable). More importantly, though, I realized that when I ignored her plea for attention, it wasn't getting at the heart of whatever issue is causing it, merely exacerbating the problem.

So I called, and left a message sincerely apologizing for "whatever I did that made you frustrated." Less than two minutes later, she calls back, sobbing that "you didn't deserve any of the awful things I've said or done," and begged that I forgive her. Of course, I told her it was all forgotten, but that feeling of complete mutual forgiveness transcended all words we had for each other. She then passed the phone to the other estranged friend who was in the room with her, and a similar exchange took place.

Glory to God, who softens all hearts!

jlerms
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 08:40:06 PM »

What great news!!  Thanks be to God for all things...be they difficult or wonderous!

:)Juliana
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 09:57:18 PM »

Update time.

Great news, though. I decided that because I was leaving on a trip for a week, I would call one last time to try and work all of this out (or else it would be on my mind the whole time, making it un-enjoyable). More importantly, though, I realized that when I ignored her plea for attention, it wasn't getting at the heart of whatever issue is causing it, merely exacerbating the problem.

So I called, and left a message sincerely apologizing for "whatever I did that made you frustrated." Less than two minutes later, she calls back, sobbing that "you didn't deserve any of the awful things I've said or done," and begged that I forgive her. Of course, I told her it was all forgotten, but that feeling of complete mutual forgiveness transcended all words we had for each other. She then passed the phone to the other estranged friend who was in the room with her, and a similar exchange took place.

Glory to God, who softens all hearts!

Simyan, words cannot convey how happy I am to hear this outcome. I am so happy you chose kindness. There's a trite old saying I often  remember, "You can never be too kind, because you never know the depth of the pain the other person is facing.", and another one, "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."

Truly, we never know just how much pain one of our fellow pilgrims might be bearing within himself. Another thing to remember is that women are ever so  hormonally vulnerable! Sometimes we lose our ability to be happy in a  split second and our irrational tears and outbursts last a whole week long and then disappear just as suddenly as they appeared!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 10:38:38 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

May God keep the situation constantly friendly!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 10:51:44 PM »

Glory to God for the faithfulness of friends.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 03:50:21 AM »

Glory to God!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: