OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 07:32:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope Praises Closer Orthodox Ties  (Read 1868 times) Average Rating: 0
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« on: June 02, 2008, 02:29:07 AM »

"Pope Benedict XVI believes that relations between the Catholic Church and the Russian Orthodox Church are increasingly close and has expressed his gratitude to the Russian Orthodox patriarch for pursuing dialogue."
""It is with joy that I reflect on the experience of growing closeness between us, accompanied by the shared desire to promote authentic Christian values," Benedict said in the letter.
He expressed hope that two churches could be even closer."
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/article/1010/42/367899.htm

AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 08:13:21 AM »

Hopefully we can follow Bishop Hilarion's advice.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 10:37:43 AM »

Hopefully we can follow Bishop Hilarion's advice.

What advice was that?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Heracleides
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Patriarch of Jerusalem

Kona-Kai

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 01:07:53 PM »

What advice was that?

I believe he was referencing this recent article (emphasis mine):

21 April 2008, 12:39
Moscow Patriarchate believes in strategic alliance with Catholics

Sofia, April 21, Interfax - The Orthodox and Catholic Churches could form a strategic alliance for the protection of Christian values, Russian Orthodox Church Representative to European International Organizations Bishop Hilarion of Vienna and Austria said in an interview with the Bulgarian magazine Christianity and Culture.

"We must realize that Orthodox and Catholic believers are no longer rivals. We are allies. The rivalry must be gone once and for all. If we understand that, proselytism will stop," he said.

'The romantic ecumenism' personified by the World Council of Churches and the Conference of European Churches is not viable, the bishop said. In his opinion, it would be much better to form bilateral strategic alliances or partnerships, for instance, between the Orthodox and Catholic Churches.

"I don't mean union, administrative merger or compromise in theological teaching, I mean strategical partnership," the Moscow Patriarchate's representative said.

According to Bishop Hilarion, joint Orthodox-Catholic "front" is required both to oppose to the challenges of secularism and to protect traditional Christianity and dialogue with other world religions.

He believes that many Protestants unlike the Orthodox and the Catholic have created "a light version of Christianity, without apostolic succession, without sacraments, without strict dogmatic teaching and what is also important they don't require sticking to Christian moral norms."

Such communities don't consider centuries-old sins as such and even promote them. When Christian community starts "revising theological or moral teaching of Christianity in order to make it more "modern" or "politically correct", it's a direct way to spiritual death," Bishop Hilarion said.

Source: Interfax - http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=4584
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 01:10:13 PM by Heracleides » Logged

"And having found Heracleides there again, we instructed him to proclaim the Gospel of God..."  ~Acts of Barnabas
Heracleides
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Patriarch of Jerusalem

Kona-Kai

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 01:20:41 PM »

The April interview above with Bishop Hilarion is followed below by another one (given just last week) that ties in nicely with his previous thoughts:

09 June 2008, 14:38
The Russian Orthodox Church compares divergence with liberal
Protestants to "bottomless abyss"

Moscow, June 9, Interfax - Not all participants of the
inter-Christian dialogue are ready to pursue partnership and
solidarity, Bishop Hilarion of Vienna and Austria, Representative of
the Russian Orthodox Church to the European Institutions, said.

"The divergence is so deep, that it can be compared to bottomless
abysses," Hilarion said in his interview to the Soyuznoye Veche, the
newspaper of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Union of Belarus and
Russia, commenting his dialogue with a Lutheran bishop.

According to Hilarion, the bishop refused to recognize abortion as a
sin in a joint document, whereby he expressed "a more liberal
approach to this challenge" as compared to the position of the Moscow
Patriarchate.

"If we fail to reach consensus even on such matters which are
seemingly obvious to all Christians, what can we do about other
challenges?" Bishop Hilarion said.

According to him, many Protestant communities are experiencing the
"radical liberalization of morals" during the last decades, when, for
example, the same-sex union is considered a marriage, and members of
sexual minorities are ordained bishops.

"It's not just apostasy, it is sacrilege! Neither Orthodox, nor
Catholic Church can accept such drastic perversion of the Christian
moral teaching," Bishop Hilarion believes.

Source: Interfax - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OrthodoxNews/message/9366
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 01:22:44 PM by Heracleides » Logged

"And having found Heracleides there again, we instructed him to proclaim the Gospel of God..."  ~Acts of Barnabas
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 01:57:56 PM »

And, from Interfax, June 4: http://www.directionstoorthodoxy.org/n/statements_on_upcoming_meeting_between_pope_patriarch_may_be_dip.html

Statements on upcoming meeting between pope, patriarch may be diplomatic move
Posted on Wed Jun 04 2008

Some progress has been achieved between the two churches
Moscow, June 3, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate doesn't rule out that the statement made by Cardinal Walter Kasper saying that Pope Benedict XVI and Patriarch Alexy II will meet in the nearest future may be a diplomatic move by the Vatican.

Kasper, who heads the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, recently said the pope and the Russian patriarch may meet in the near future.

"Such commentaries by one of the parties are sometimes a diplomatic move intended to put certain soft pressure on the negotiating parties. It's like they are saying 'We are glad, we are looking forward [to a meeting], why are you avoiding us?'" Deacon Andrey Kurayev, a professor at the Moscow Theological Academy, told Interfax-Religion on Tuesday.

Kurayev said he did not participant in the negotiations between Kasper and the hierarchs of the Russian Orthodox Church and therefore cannot say which precisely nuances of the dialogue gave the cardinal a reason for optimistic comments.

At the same time, Kurayev said he is hoping that "some progress has been achieved in our relationship, and it is connected with the fact that the current pope, unlike his predecessor, is not personally responsible for the tragedies in the history of Orthodoxy in Western Ukraine in the early 1990s, when Greek Catholics literally ravaged three Orthodox dioceses."

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 10:22:30 PM »

"I don't mean union, administrative merger or compromise in theological teaching, I mean strategical partnership," the Moscow Patriarchate's representative said.
Personally, I would say that a strategical partnership is not a bad idea.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 11:33:34 PM »

I believe he was referencing this recent article (emphasis mine)

Thanks.

And I agree with AMM and Stanley, that's good advice.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 11:35:26 PM »

I believe he was referencing this recent article (emphasis mine):

21 April 2008, 12:39
Moscow Patriarchate believes in strategic alliance with Catholics

Sofia, April 21, Interfax - The Orthodox and Catholic Churches could form a strategic alliance for the protection of Christian values, Russian Orthodox Church Representative to European International Organizations Bishop Hilarion of Vienna and Austria said in an interview with the Bulgarian magazine Christianity and Culture.

"We must realize that Orthodox and Catholic believers are no longer rivals. We are allies. The rivalry must be gone once and for all. If we understand that, proselytism will stop," he said.

'The romantic ecumenism' personified by the World Council of Churches and the Conference of European Churches is not viable, the bishop said. In his opinion, it would be much better to form bilateral strategic alliances or partnerships, for instance, between the Orthodox and Catholic Churches.

According to Bishop Hilarion, joint Orthodox-Catholic "front" is required both to oppose to the challenges of secularism and to protect traditional Christianity and dialogue with other world religions.

He believes that many Protestants unlike the Orthodox and the Catholic have created "a light version of Christianity, without apostolic succession, without sacraments, without strict dogmatic teaching and what is also important they don't require sticking to Christian moral norms."

Such communities don't consider centuries-old sins as such and even promote them. When Christian community starts "revising theological or moral teaching of Christianity in order to make it more "modern" or "politically correct", it's a direct way to spiritual death," Bishop Hilarion said.

Source: Interfax - http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=4584

Three cheers to Bishop Hilarion! Well said.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 11:37:58 PM »

Three cheers to Bishop Hilarion! Well said.

Agreed!  There are many issues our world is facing that such a partnership could help to combat.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: