OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 02:07:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tired of Dead Rat  (Read 2922 times) Average Rating: 0
NDHoosier

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Patriarchate

Exiled from God's Country (North Dakota)

« on: July 22, 2003, 03:21:15 AM »

Thanks in advance for allowing me to vent...

Does anyone else here use a UNIX or UNIX-like system at home?

I just installed DeadRat (RedHat) Linux 9 so I could do some LAMP development (Linux/Apache/MySQL/Perl-PHP).  I'm trying in the next 6-9 months to move all my data processing and analysis work off of Windows to UNIX.

First, MySQL wouldn't run.
Then I updated the RPMs
This has now broken httpd (Apache)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

I'm sick of RPM dependency problems!  It's actually worse than Bill Gates' DLL Hell!

I'm going to see what the FreeBSD folks have to offer.  Set up the download and go to bed.

Monasticism looks better all the time (ok, I'm just kidding about that - the thought of never eating another ham sandwich and all that hair on top of my head is actually more than I can stand).

Thank you, ladies and germs

There ain't a horse that can't be rode, and there ain't a rider that can't be throwed.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 01:28:43 PM »

Why not try SuSe linux or mandrake first?

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 01:28:50 PM »

OK, i couldn't resist posting.

Fire me an e-mail ND, I can offer some assistance with your RPM dependency hell, and/or other distributions.

BSD is an alternative, but not mature enough (In my opinion) for the desktop. On the server however, it is top notch. It isn't as bleeding edge as Linux and doesn't have the hardware support.

First off, dump RedHat, RPM is an inferior package format to the "apt" system that Debian(http://www.debian.org) has to offer. I seriously recommend giving Debian a shot. The apt-get system will handle ALL your dependency issues, and installing mysql is as easy or as hard as you want to make it.

I write drivers under Linux, doing all my assembler programming, it is a top-notch OS, don't give up!

Bobby
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 01:29:47 PM »

Mandrake is a newbie-friendly redhat, and SuSE uses RPM packaging...

Running a SuSE box at work, lots of packages on CD, but thats about the only glitter.

They both suck.

Bobby
« Last Edit: July 22, 2003, 01:30:56 PM by Bobby » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2003, 01:38:27 PM »

SLACKWARE......for me!
Haven't tried SuSe. but the filesystem on my Slack8.0  box looks identical to my Sun Sparc's Solaris2.6. RH and off-shoots like Mandrake just seemed like more stuff to re-learn.
Demetri
« Last Edit: July 22, 2003, 01:39:42 PM by Aristocles » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2003, 01:45:03 PM »

SOLID man!

Slack is pretty cool.

I remember the distribution disk sets...do they still have those? It's been 3 years since I had slackware on my box. I had a SLOWlaris box on my old sunstation but it has since broken down.

Bobby
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2003, 01:52:50 PM »

but it has since broken down.

Bobby

Translation for those not personal friends with Bobby:  I messed it up from installing and uninstalling things too much to the point that I fried the motherboard.

lol

anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2003, 01:59:08 PM »

SOLID man!

Slack is pretty cool.

I remember the distribution disk sets...do they still have those? It's been 3 years since I had slackware on my box. I had a SLOWlaris box on my old sunstation but it has since broken down.

Bobby

I'm too lazy (with dialup) to download new updates so I just buy a Cd off Ebay for about 8 bucks and yes, the old distro disk sets are still here (I started at 3.2 - telling my age). I think there is RPM support now, however. But then you've got install path issues with RH packages. Hint, always wait for the x.1 version. I always jump on a new x.0 and then patch, patch, patch. But it's not as bad as a Gates-box.

Demetri

Just gave my old Sparc20 away (new owner will discover love/hate relationships), but kept my old SS10 just for "fun". Man, I AM sick....

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2003, 02:00:55 PM »

I have an old NeXT box around here somewhere....

Smiley

Bobby
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2003, 02:33:02 PM »

I have an old NeXT box around here somewhere....

Smiley

Bobby
You win. I passed up on the pile of DEC Alphas in the hall at CMU that said "free" two years ago. My wife said," Beowulf, Steppenwolf, I don't care WHAT kind of cluster you can make with them!."
Demetri

NDHoosier

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Patriarchate

Exiled from God's Country (North Dakota)

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2003, 04:46:28 AM »

Got the FreeBSD box going!

wrestled with CUPS for a day (I have a MFC-8300 printer, not exactly PostScript)
All compiles went without a hitch - CUPS 1.4, Apache 1.3, MySQL 4.0, PHP 4.3.3, Perl 5.8.0, GIMP 1.3  (although I had to struggle with CUPS' and Apache's configuration a bit) - gotta love the ports collection!

...compiling OpenOffice now...

Actually, I'm quite pleased so far with FreeBSD's use as a desktop machine (using KDE3).  Less flaky than any Linux I have used...

Thanks for letting me vent on matters non-Orthodox.

There ain't a horse that can't be rode, and there ain't a rider that can't be throwed.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2003, 05:44:20 AM »

I'm currently giving myself a few nightmares running Linux in a virtual machine courtesy of VMware. Everything is fine until I try to make changes to X configuration. Then the mouse gets borked and turns into a device which only scrolls up and right no matter which way you move it. Since you learn the most when things go wrong I seem destined to gain much new knowledge over the next few weeks.

John.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2003, 08:57:46 AM »

John,

Copy and paste the contexts of your /etc/X11/XF86Config file here, and I will see if I can help.

Bobby
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: