OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 05:54:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Communion and Celiac Disease ?  (Read 14232 times) Average Rating: 0
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2013, 11:57:02 AM »

I've been diagnosed with the blood test and an endoscopy.  and I do notice more and more people go gluten free, but never have the test results to back it up.  These people go on and off the diet, which makes other people think that people with Celiac can go on and off the diet, without anything bad happening.  So it hurts those people that have the disease.  It's extremely frustrating.  Celiac is not a joke, and not something that can be taken lightly.  Also, a lot of Atkins people think they can eat gluten free, and it means the same thing.  Even after you explain it, it takes them a while to understand.

There was an article about a chef that would tell people their food was gluten free, but it wasn't, because he didn't believe Celiac existed.  He said that he never saw a reaction in his restaurant.  Reality is, their reactions came that night, and it's not fun.  People just don't take it seriously.

As an adult with Celiac, I can tell you, Eucharist is hard.  Going through all of these feelings is very very hard, I can't imagine what it must be like for a child.

I am praying for you.

Then there are some Celiacs who do not want to accept the fact that they have Celiac disease. They go off and on the diet, but never stay gluten-free. Furthermore, it is more convenient for them to buy the lie that it is all in their heads, and then go and have pizza and Big Macs with their friends, so they take psychotic drugs and pain relievers to dull the symptoms.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
noahs_mommom

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2013, 08:25:14 PM »

As gross as they are, I really miss Big Macs,  Tongue.  At least the local pizza joint has gluten free pizza!
ElizabethNM

Faith: Orthodox inquirer
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2013, 07:44:25 PM »

Hi.  It's me again, and I received my answer.

Took the bull by the horns and talked to my Orthodox priest. I'd been put off by his original comment ("The body and blood of Jesus Christ couldn't possibly do any harm") but when I spoke to him, person to person, he listened with care and attention, and understood.  He acted as a true pastor.

He said that provision was made for recovering alcoholics, and provision could be made for me.  He believed that all of the Orthodox priests in the area would agree with him -- "Except maybe the Russian."

My parish priest understands that this is a physical condition.  Regarding the ideas that might attach blame or impute sinfulness to a physical response to a hosting substance -- "That's not Orthodoxy."

Upon hearing some of the opinions set forth in this room, my parish priest rolled his eyes.  He urged me to refrain from getting my information online.

If you are celiac, and wondering, I'd urge you not to waste time talking about it on a board like this, but to go directly to your pastor and ask him.  At the very least, you'll know where you stand.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2013, 09:28:13 PM »

Hi.  It's me again, and I received my answer.

Took the bull by the horns and talked to my Orthodox priest. I'd been put off by his original comment ("The body and blood of Jesus Christ couldn't possibly do any harm") but when I spoke to him, person to person, he listened with care and attention, and understood.  He acted as a true pastor.

He said that provision was made for recovering alcoholics, and provision could be made for me.  He believed that all of the Orthodox priests in the area would agree with him -- "Except maybe the Russian."

My parish priest understands that this is a physical condition.  Regarding the ideas that might attach blame or impute sinfulness to a physical response to a hosting substance -- "That's not Orthodoxy."

Upon hearing some of the opinions set forth in this room, my parish priest rolled his eyes.  He urged me to refrain from getting my information online.

If you are celiac, and wondering, I'd urge you not to waste time talking about it on a board like this, but to go directly to your pastor and ask him.  At the very least, you'll know where you stand.

God grant you many years. Yes, one must learn to ignore some posters and threads here.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
crazyms

« Reply #139 on: December 17, 2013, 02:00:59 AM »

Elizabeth, I'm glad you got your answer. I'm very glad to hear that your priest was understanding on the matter and that you'll be able to receive communion. Since you have gotten valid and decent information I'll refrain from commenting on some previous posts in this thread for the time being. We have just received a preliminary diagnosis of celiac disease for my daughter following an endoscopy and colonoscopy and is awaiting final results from the other tests. I am glad to see that this will likely not affect her future communion. It is a shame that so many people misunderstand celiac disease and right off people with the disease and parents of the diagnosed children as psychotics and hypochondriacs. No one in their right mind would subject themselves to the kind of testing involved in diagnosis or the stringent dietary restrictions involved without just cause. This is not even so simple as to be "just" diet but the hidden gluten found in many other products like my daughter's school supplies that will have to be replaced with more expensive gluten free alternatives. This is not a joke and shouldn't be treated as such like it's been done here by some posters. I wish you the best of luck and am glad to see you have received valid help.
Tags: communion celiac disease 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: