Author Topic: Guardian Angels  (Read 206 times)

Offline yas

Guardian Angels
« on: February 13, 2015, 01:30:36 AM »
Today my husband and I were chatting about something (I honestly forget what) and he asked if I believed in angels. I said that of course I did. And I decided to see what the Orthodox think about angels and was surprised to see that there are even different ranks of angels!

But than I read that some Orthodox believe you get a guardian angel when you are baptized. I am curious if anyone has ever felt the presence of a guardian angel. I was raised Catholic and my mom spoke about her guardian angel a lot and so the concept is not odd to me. I have been baptized--but not in the Orthodox church. But I suppose I would still have a guardian angel? Just like I have a saint that has probably been interceding for me all these years?

I would just love to hear what people have to say about angels. When I became a teenager and in college (when I became "non-denominational") angels were never spoken of so I feel like I may have just as much to learn about them as I do about the saints I have been neglecting!

Source: http://www.stgeorgegreenville.org/Angels/Angels.html

Online LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: Guardian Angels
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 01:42:41 AM »
some Orthodox believe you get a guardian angel when you are baptized.

This is indeed a teaching of the Church, as seen in this prayer from the baptismal service:

Master and Lord, the One who Is, who made man according to Your image and likeness and gave him the power of eternal life; then, when he fell through sin, did not disdain him, but provided for the salvation of the world through the incarnation of Your Christ, receive also this creature of Yours, whom You have redeemed from the slavery of the foe, into the heavenly Kingdom. Open the eyes of his/her mind so that the enlightenment of Your Gospel may dawn on him/her. Yoke to his/her life an Angel of light, to deliver him/her from every attack of the adversary, from evil encounter, from the noon-day demon, from evil visions.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 03:07:30 AM »
Why not?
Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"What beauty is there for an existence that is simple...What deficiency in God's world is greater than this?" -Al Ghazali

Offline yas

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 11:28:51 AM »
LBK,

I was not baptized in the Orthodox church, would I still have a guardian angel? If I asked God for one, He would allow it I suppose!

I just always found angels interesting as a child. My mom says that babies talk to angels and such. I always thought I had a guardian angel.

What can they do? Can they guide you? Or do they mostly protect you? I'm sorry if these questions are seemingly stupid, I just want to get the right understanding of them.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 12:56:19 PM »
LBK,

I was not baptized in the Orthodox church, would I still have a guardian angel? If I asked God for one, He would allow it I suppose!

I don't see any reason to believe that guardian angels are assigned only to people baptised in the Orthodox Church. 

What can they do? Can they guide you? Or do they mostly protect you? I'm sorry if these questions are seemingly stupid, I just want to get the right understanding of them.

They guide, they protect, they intercede, they help. 

If you click here, at the upper left corner you should see a menu of sorts which, if you scroll down, includes a link to the Canon to the Guardian Angel.  If you read through that, you'll get a decent idea of who they are and what they do.
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 12:58:48 PM »
I am curious if anyone has ever felt the presence of a guardian angel.

Mine has saved me from certain death at least twice that I am sure of. 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Offline yas

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 01:06:55 PM »
Thank you so much for the link!  :)

Offline Christina

• Troublemaker
  • That's just wrong!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 07:50:56 AM »

I have felt the presence of something with wings towering over me while praying at church.
"You cursed and lost man!  Instead of enduring pain for a single hour, you have made yourself worthy of eternal torment."  ~St. Christina of Ancyra~

Online biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 11:31:48 AM »

Mine has saved me from certain death at least twice that I am sure of.

Same here, once.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 02:45:28 PM »
LBK,

I don't see any reason to believe that guardian angels are assigned only to people baptised in the Orthodox Church. 

This. That theory sounds very unfair, and a bit magical.

Offline Porter ODoran

• "In this lies piety: not doubting the God-bearing fathers."
  • Protokentarchos
  • Erst Amish Appalachian
    • Facebook page
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Catechumen
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 03:14:22 PM »
LBK,

I just always found angels interesting as a child. My mom says that babies talk to angels and such. I always thought I had a guardian angel.

There are many angels, "hosts" of angels, doing uncountable acts for God in this world. God, we are taught, loves humankind and (St. Paul says) intends to save everyone. So I am sure angels are helping you now -- and I'm sure helping you learn about the Church. :) May God bless you.
In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

Offline yas

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 12:51:32 AM »

There are many angels, "hosts" of angels, doing uncountable acts for God in this world. God, we are taught, loves humankind and (St. Paul says) intends to save everyone. So I am sure angels are helping you now -- and I'm sure helping you learn about the Church. :) May God bless you.

Thank you so much Porter ODoran! I am sure of this as well! My husband asked me if I believed in angels and when I said yes he seemed shocked. Haha.

Angels are such a foreign concept to him. In his church no one ever speaks of them (much like how Mary is ignored), but when I was young, my mother raised me in the Catholic church so I seemed to maybe learn more about them. But I was so young. So I have a sense they are near but it's as if I have to relearn and rediscover "who" they are.

Thank you all for being so kind. It's hard to articulate my thoughts online sometimes.

I also have another silly question that will probably have the same reply. But do Saints also pray and guide non-Orthodox? A few nights ago, I prayed that if there was a Saint looking over my husband, that he would continue to guide him and intercede that his heart would be softened to the Orthodox faith and to Christianity in general.

Offline Porter ODoran

• "In this lies piety: not doubting the God-bearing fathers."
  • Protokentarchos
  • Erst Amish Appalachian
    • Facebook page
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Catechumen
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 01:15:16 AM »
What you did was the right thing to do. The saints are our elder brothers and sisters in heaven, and they are concerned about our growth and welfare and salvation. If you are turning toward them, they are certainly turning toward you.
In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

Online Rhinosaur

• Homo Vivius
  • Elder
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 01:55:23 AM »
I have a feeling that angels have gotten me out of dozens of jams in my lifetime.