Author Topic: Convert Me!  (Read 1383 times)

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • Archon
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: Convert Me!
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2015, 02:52:51 AM »
Well I think simce Superior Practices is here because of Fr. Lazarus, we have to respect that and provide him information on the Coptic and Serbian Orthodox churches, and other EO, and OO churches, and let him decide where he wants to go, and we need to do this delicately.  To my knowledge the Mystics you are talking about are mainly Roman Catholic figures but whichever priest takes charge of Superior Practices formation will keep him clear of those figures until he is ready to read them dispassionately.  But we must consider Metropolitan Kallistos Ware quotes the Gospel of Thomas in The Orthodox Way so it is possible fora good teacher to use heretical source material to teach Orthodoxy. 
Antisemitism, racism and prejudicial nationalism should have no place in Orthodoxy.  For to paraphrase  St. Paul, there is neither Jew nor Greek, neither male nor female, slave or freeman, in the Christian Church.

Offline Superior Practices

• Elder
  • Faith: Curious Inquirer
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2015, 03:11:13 AM »
Wow! Thank you all for your interest and support! I have never received such a concern and willingness to help in such matters. And on an internet forum, no less!
Yes i am interested very much in fr lazarus and his journey, it was after watching that documentary, extreme pilgrim, that i first became interested in christianity and the orthodox way in particular. I woll definitely check out all of those books associated with him that posters have mentioned.
I bow deeply to all of you that have shown so much care for me, a stranger!

"She lusted after their genitals – as large as those of donkeys, and their seminal emission was as strong as that of stallions."
- Ezekiel 23:19

Offline wgw

• Archon
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2015, 04:08:35 AM »
I am glad we have been able to help.

But most importantly be sure to follow up with Thomas and talk to a priest.  Your questions on prayer, only he can authoritatively help you on.

One does not learn Orthodoxy by oneself in complete isolation, or through books.  Even Fr. Lazarus is part of a community; people attend his midnight liturgy in the Cave of St. Anthony or come to visit him, and when he is alone he is still United with the Church and with God in prayer.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 04:15:07 AM by wgw »
Antisemitism, racism and prejudicial nationalism should have no place in Orthodoxy.  For to paraphrase  St. Paul, there is neither Jew nor Greek, neither male nor female, slave or freeman, in the Christian Church.

Offline Velsigne

• High Elder
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2015, 03:00:48 PM »
Wow! Thank you all for your interest and support! I have never received such a concern and willingness to help in such matters. And on an internet forum, no less!
Yes i am interested very much in fr lazarus and his journey, it was after watching that documentary, extreme pilgrim, that i first became interested in christianity and the orthodox way in particular. I woll definitely check out all of those books associated with him that posters have mentioned.
I bow deeply to all of you that have shown so much care for me, a stranger!

Best wishes to you in discovering the Orthodox faith.  If you pursue it, you will find tremendous spiritual beauty and something that affects you to the core of your being. 

You appear to be currently interested in the bodhisattva 'superior practices', also given the lotus symbol in your posts. 

If you already do practice meditation, prayer is an adjustment of aiming the mind like an arrow to God, not so much the effort to sit and watch the mind jumping like a monkey until calm ensues.  Forgive me for the very truncated description of meditation, it has been many years since I studied Buddhism, and my writing skills have severely declined through years of performing mathematical work all day. 

For me, it took a 'suspension of disbelief' the first time I prayed and I received an epiphany.  Others vary and are more inclined to the intellectual formal logic assent of belief.  But God is a real living spiritual presence, and is 'everywhere present and fills all things, treasury of every good and bestower of life' not just a mental calculation or a feeling.

Through diligent practice of prayer people begin to enter into a great peace and divine love.  It is then we recognize our dependence on God who is our Creator, the ground of our being.  All of us are greatly loved by God.  And so Christ teaches us that we are to do the same and carry this into our lives with His help.  For many people, this takes a lot of time and effort.  So prayer, living in the present, training ourselves away from the negative passions, is critical to find the meeting ground in our heart and mind with God.   

What PetertheAleut said is right.  This is not something done on your own or on the internet, it is done in a community.  This is an integral piece of what God wants us to understand. 

People generally do not start off by going into a cave to pray.  They have to develop a strong foundation of prayer and steadfastness first. 

Offline Seeking Humility

• Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox - Newly Baptized!
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2015, 12:39:00 AM »
Hello all, this is my first post on the forum but felt that I should add.

Superior Practices, I'm so happy that your heart has been stirred by Fr. Lazarus. I would like to say that it is not us who converts anyone, but God. It is through His love and will that we come to know Him. Nothing that anyone says on this forum will help if it is not meant for you to know yet.

Learning about the Orthodox faith takes time and patience. When you feel the desire to know or understand something, seek with your heart and ask for help. If it is meant for you to learn and to grow in understanding, the Lord will help you.

As others have mentioned, it is important to simply 'go and see' an Orthodox church. As that does not seem to be an option for you, simply trying to get in contact with an Orthodox Priest would be beneficial. If you feel that you want to learn, read the New Testament. Ask God to show you his Truth and to soften your heart to Him.

Be simple and if you feel overwhelmed, step back, and look for help to answering whatever it is that is truly irking your heart.

God bless you in your journey.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Chapter one again, here I go again
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2015, 12:41:48 AM »
Welcome to the board, Seeking. :)

Offline wgw

• Archon
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2015, 12:51:28 AM »
Indeed, welcome.

Offline Superior Practices

• Elder
  • Faith: Curious Inquirer
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2015, 03:31:10 AM »
Thank you, seeking humanity and everyone else.
Im just trying to focus my mind and incorporate prayer recitations in daily life, before meals, etc.
Its so damn hard to remember! I finally remember AFTER meals for example and by then its too late!
Takes time i guess
"She lusted after their genitals – as large as those of donkeys, and their seminal emission was as strong as that of stallions."
- Ezekiel 23:19

Offline Seeking Humility

• Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox - Newly Baptized!
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2015, 12:08:44 PM »
Thanks for the welcome all!

Superior, I hope things are going well for you in your journey. Never be too hard on yourself, we are only human after all! The fact that you do remember is a wonderful start, but certainly you shouldn't try to pray just because you should. As Christ said in the bible, don't be like the publicans reciting long prayers without any heart. You should seek and pray to Him earnestly and with what you feel from your heart, not just because it's the "Orthodox way". The beautiful thing about Orthodoxy is that each individual person has a journey to the Lord as set by Him. Take your time in trying to understand yourself.

God bless, I hope you are having a beautiful week!