Author Topic: Question About Communion Etiquette?  (Read 221 times)

Offline JerseySlav

• Faith: Lapsed Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Trenton
Question About Communion Etiquette?
« on: May 11, 2015, 12:53:33 PM »
Hello,

I am a 25 year old lapsed Catholic who has been exploring Orthodoxy for about two years now. Recently, I have started attending liturgies at local parishes; however, I have a rather embarassing question and nobody from whom to seek an answer. Obviously, having not been baptized into Orthodoxy, I cannot recieve Communion. Thus, when the parishioners move forward and recieve, I generally stay in the back of the church. Often, someone will approach me and offer me bread. I understand that non-Orthodox can recieve the Antidoron at the end of the service because it is not consecrated, but that is left in the back of the church. Is it disrespectful to take the Antidoron during the service?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 12:55:46 PM by JerseySlav »

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Question About Communion Etiquette?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »
Welcome to the board.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 01:12:47 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

I may be wrong, but I think it is okay to take.

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 01:28:30 PM »
Yes, you make take it. It is not Communion. It is being offered to you as a sign of hospitality and friendship.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Partisan Pro-Chalcedonian Fanatic
  • Protokentarchos
  • St. John the Merciful
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 01:42:59 PM »
The Fathers mention that the antidoron is there as a replacement (among other things, it's also there to help clean your mouth of the Body and Blood) for communion if you're unable to take the Eucharist.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 01:43:26 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »
Not everything I type or have typed in the past is reflective of the teaching of the Orthodox Church, or may not reflect my contemporary views on a subject. (4/6/2015)

Glory to Jesus Christ!

قدوس لله قدوس القوي قدوس الذي لا يموت ارحمنا

Offline Philipa

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 02:09:47 PM »
My priest once said that while it is ok for non orthodox to take the bread handed after liturgy when you go kiss the cross, the bread and wine handed just after communion should be taken only by those who have received communion because these are given to clean the mouth so that nothing of the Communion stays in the mouth. Sorry for my clumsy English.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Western Rite Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: AOCNA - Diocese of Charleston and beyond
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 02:11:21 PM »
Hello,

I am a 25 year old lapsed Catholic who has been exploring Orthodoxy for about two years now. Recently, I have started attending liturgies at local parishes; however, I have a rather embarassing question and nobody from whom to seek an answer. Obviously, having not been baptized into Orthodoxy, I cannot recieve Communion. Thus, when the parishioners move forward and recieve, I generally stay in the back of the church. Often, someone will approach me and offer me bread. I understand that non-Orthodox can recieve the Antidoron at the end of the service because it is not consecrated, but that is left in the back of the church. Is it disrespectful to take the Antidoron during the service?

Thanks.
Absolutely you can.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Bob2

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 02:19:49 PM »
My priest once said that while it is ok for non orthodox to take the bread handed after liturgy when you go kiss the cross, the bread and wine handed just after communion should be taken only by those who have received communion because these are given to clean the mouth so that nothing of the Communion stays in the mouth. Sorry for my clumsy English.

Jurisdictional practices vary, but this (the underlined above) is the practice at my church, even those Orthodox present and not communing do not take the bread immediately following communion, but I've seen it in OCA and Antiochian churches.  To the original poster, if someone is offering it to you I think it would be safe to assume that it is ok for you to consume. I've seen others post that we were "offended" when they went to a ROCOR church and weren't offered it at this time, so it's good to understand that this isn't the practice everywhere.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 02:20:37 PM by Bob2 »

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 04:45:03 PM »
I was offered antidoron when I was still a catechumen. I think it's okay.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline Czar Lazar

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Манастир Нова Грачаница
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 07:19:42 PM »
Welcome.

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
  • St. Photini
    • Whispers Written - a friends only journal - pm to be added.
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 09:15:39 PM »
Hi, JerseySlav, welcome!

The first time I went to the Orthodox Church, everyone went up for Holy Communion, and I did not partake as I was not a chrismated orthodox christian at the time.  A little girl came up to me and offered me the Holy Bread after she came back from Communion.  I thought it was the most beautiful thing I ever experienced. 

Each tradition has their own say so's to do in keeping with their manners - it is best to ask the Priest at that particular church.  I would say that if it is offered, it is best to receive if you are willing to do so, and no disrespect would be perceived. 

But the Priest may want to inform you or educate you further - so by all means, introduce yourself if you have not already. :)
In His Mercy,
BethAnna