OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 10:00:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Anthony the Great's nameday  (Read 3456 times) Average Rating: 0
searn77

Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas & the British Isles

St. Philaret (Voznesensky) of New York

« on: February 11, 2011, 03:50:39 PM »

I was just wondering why it is that in the Eastern Orthodox Churches we celebrate St. Anthony the Great on Jan. 17th and the Coptic Orthodox Church celebrates him on Jan. 30th? Also do the other Oriental Orthodox Churches also celebrate St. Anthony on Jan. 30th as well?

Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 09:15:44 PM »

It may have to do with the fact that the Coptic Church is on the old calendar.

In the Armenian Church, St. Anthony is celebrated in the middle of January.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 12:37:48 AM »

The Erie Old Believer/Ritualist prayer book says January 30th for the civil calendar, so my guess is, as Salpy already mentioned, this is simply a matter of old calendar versus new calendar, rather than anything particular about the Copts.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:40:34 AM by deusveritasest » Logged

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
searn77

Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas & the British Isles

St. Philaret (Voznesensky) of New York

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 11:11:49 AM »

I was just wondering because I read this from wikipedia:
"He is celebrated in many churches on his feast days: 17 January in the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church; and (January 30) in the Coptic Orthodox Church, the Coptic Catholic Church and the Russian Orthodox Church"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Anthony_the_Great

Now I know wikipedia isn't the best place to get info so that's why I wanted to post the question on here. My church also celebrates St. Anthony on Jan 30th, but on our church calendar it is Jan 17th as we follow the Julian calendar. So I was just a little confused on what the article meant but I guess it is just an old vs new calendar thing.

Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.
Tags: St. Antony 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: