OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 10:08:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any dog fans out there?  (Read 4897 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: May 30, 2008, 02:53:39 AM »

OK, I admit it- I'm a major dog lover.  When people bring their dogs in where I work (even though it's posted not to on the doors), I'm the first to approach them.  I can't help it, I really love dogs.  In about a year from now, I hope to own my own place and - you guessed it- really want to get a dog.  So, are there any of you good people who love dogs? 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 03:15:39 AM »

WOOF!
sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 03:23:52 AM »

Well, I am a dog fan..

""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
— Iroh- Avatar:The Last Airbender
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 03:32:43 AM »

I love dog's alot....there so loyal never complain ,if you get mad at them they forgive.
when my lily was alive i couldn't eat anything around her..with those beady hungry eye's staring and staring till i surender my food,,though she was busting out on her sides...memory eternal...SmileyCentral.com" border="0Such a Great Dog ....
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 03:39:54 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 03:33:37 AM »

id say Dogs, are very Christian!! hehehe,,  laugh

""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
— Iroh- Avatar:The Last Airbender
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 04:31:48 AM »

id say Dogs, are very Christian!! hehehe,,  laugh

"A dog is better than I for a dog always loves and never judges".I heard that on a podcast recently don't know who said it though.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 08:01:08 AM »

"A dog is better than I for a dog always loves and never judges".

So true.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 09:03:18 AM »

Dogs? I thought they were my kids...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 09:25:33 AM »

Dogs are ok, but I prefer cats.  They're self-cleaning and easy to photograph and caption.  Wink 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 09:46:08 AM »

Dogs are ok, but I prefer cats.  They're self-cleaning and easy to photograph and caption.  Wink 

*shudders*  Even if I wasn't allergic, I doubt I would ever be a cat person.   Tongue

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 09:52:12 AM »

*shudders*  Even if I wasn't allergic, I doubt I would ever be a cat person.   Tongue

Aw, but they're so sweet!  The best part is when they curl up on your throat when you're asleep and knead you with all twenty claws.   Wink 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 09:52:23 AM »

In our home I own the dogs and wife owns the cats.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 11:51:22 AM »

Dogs actually want to be with you.  They love us unconditionally, they listen to you when no one else will, and depending on the type of dog, they'll defend you to their death.  I once had a male Shih-Tzu who, when I had to take him to the vet for check-ups, would actually display aggression towards dogs much, much bigger than him and I put together. Shocked

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 11:58:04 AM »

I like dogs, and I like cats that like people..the aloof ones resurrect all my insecurities of being unworthy!

Also, when I first opened this thread, I thought it was going to be about Dog the Bounty Hunter!   Smiley

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 12:10:40 PM »

Dogs actually want to be with you. 

That's the problem I have with dogs:  They want to be with you whether you want them to be or not.  And being with you involves a whole lotta slobber.  My brother had a lab-chow mix that would get so excited when I came home, he'd come running at me at top speed and ram me in the back of the knees.  I think that was his ploy to get me down on the ground in licking distance.  Blech.

Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 12:34:20 PM »

"A dog is better than I for a dog always loves and never judges".I heard that on a podcast recently don't know who said it though.

And another one, "an average dog is a better person than an average person" (Andy Rooney)  Shocked

Love never fails.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 12:38:57 PM »

I love cats, so I call myself a cat person, but I never actually owned a dog, so maybe I am a dog person as well.

My wife is equally a dog person and a cat person, she loves all cats and all dogs in the world, she just cannot even pass by a cat or a dog on a street without stopping and talking with the animal, sort of like people talk to little children. We are owned by two cats, and the only reason we don't also have dogs is that my wife is terribly allergic to them.

Love never fails.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 09:03:58 PM »

I love all animals, but I have to say that I'm a cat person. I love their independence, superiority and demi-god attitudes. I love the way they move through the world all-seeing, all-knowing, seemingly taking in their surroundings with a mystic foreknowledge as old as time. A cat that loves his/her devotees is something awesome, totally manipulative and deserving of worship.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 12:23:54 AM »

I also love all animals, but I never had any at my household. Still I really enjoy seeing them while visiting friends' residences.

Dogs are my favorites! Loyal, smart, sensitive! Love them!

Does not mean that I am an anti-cat activist, by all means. Cats... Kind, polite (most of them), sensitive, independent, sophisticated!
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2008, 01:06:10 AM »

The best dog I ever had was a retired racing greyhound.  Greyhounds are very cat-like dogs which is why I think I like them so much.  They are very loving, but not in a drooling, insecure sort of way.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 01:10:34 AM »

I wanna go on record that I really like cats, at least the affectionate ones.  There's a stray cat that I've been feeding, but I can't adopt her because of my severe allergies.  I think she's still fairly young because she likes to play with a sock that I tied to a string.  And she loves to talk.  A lot.  In fact, I've had so much fun with her that I actually looked online to see if there are any hypo-allergenic cats (no luck!).  She's so sweet but I'd be wheezing and my eyes would swell shut if I even thought about adopting her.  Now onto my rant.

[rant]
Why is it that when people start talkin' bout dogs, all y'all cat people gotta jump in?  Ain't nothin' wrong with cats, but we talkin' bout dogs up in here. Is it 'coz y'all are just as neurotic as the cats themselves?  If one person says they gotta dog, five cat people say, "Oh, yeah, well..."  Jiminy Christmas, y'all... Wink
[/rant]

Dismas84
Struggling

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2008, 01:18:55 AM »

I love dogs...but I prefer big ones, not the tiny, yippy, overgrown rat ones. My family had Great Danes for the longest time, including a great one named Cita. She was a sweet, tender thing. We found a funny thing when my mom was fake hitting me - Cita was snapping at her! If my parents had been abusive (which thankfully they weren't) then she would've been there to protect us.  Grin We had to put her to sleep in 1998, unfortunately, and it was a hard moment for us all. We've been blessed with a St Bernard now, one named Winston. We lucked out too - turns out there's a breed of dry-mouths that don't drool excessively a la Beethoven.

"It is truly difficult for me to say who has done me more good and who has done me more evil in the world: friends or enemies."
-- Saint Nikolai Velimirovic

The blog of an Orthodox convert
Orthodox Wannabe

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2008, 02:36:44 AM »

OK, I admit it- I'm a major dog lover.  When people bring their dogs in where I work (even though it's posted not to on the doors), I'm the first to approach them.  I can't help it, I really love dogs.  In about a year from now, I hope to own my own place and - you guessed it- really want to get a dog.  So, are there any of you good people who love dogs? 

I love all animals. BUT there is something special about a dog. I have never ran across a person more trusting or friendly than the dogs I have owned.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2008, 03:25:56 AM »

Why is it that when people start talkin' bout dogs, all y'all cat people gotta jump in?  Ain't nothin' wrong with cats, but we talkin' bout dogs up in here. Is it 'coz y'all are just as neurotic as the cats themselves?  

I can only speak for myself when I say; "hell, yeah!"

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2008, 09:58:03 AM »

Cat people and dog people are just trying to evangelize each other and maybe make some converts.  See how GabrieltheCelt has been taken under the spell of a cat.  He's wavering, just on the edge of saying,

"Yes, I do like cats!  I do, I do.  And I will tease them with a sock.   I cannot take them for a walk, but I pet them even though it makes me cough.  I will give them treats and snacks.  I will scratch upon their backs.  I will accept the blatant facts.  The cat is king.   The cat does rule.  This is not what I was taught in school.  I do not need a fawning dog.  A pet that would jump over a log.....because you told it to.  Thank you, Thank you, cats out there, I do so like you everywhere."
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 09:58:18 AM by TinaG » Logged

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2008, 10:42:54 AM »

Cat people and dog people are just trying to evangelize each other and maybe make some converts.  See how GabrieltheCelt has been taken under the spell of a cat.  He's wavering, just on the edge of saying,

"Yes, I do like cats!  I do, I do.  And I will tease them with a sock.   I cannot take them for a walk, but I pet them even though it makes me cough.  I will give them treats and snacks.  I will scratch upon their backs.  I will accept the blatant facts.  The cat is king.   The cat does rule.  This is not what I was taught in school.  I do not need a fawning dog.  A pet that would jump over a log.....because you told it to.  Thank you, Thank you, cats out there, I do so like you everywhere."
Blaspheme!  Never!  But re: your limerick- not to shabby. Dr. Seuss would be proud. Wink

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2008, 12:17:21 PM »

[rant]
Why is it that when people start talkin' bout dogs, all y'all cat people gotta jump in?  Ain't nothin' wrong with cats, but we talkin' bout dogs up in here. Is it 'coz y'all are just as neurotic as the cats themselves?  If one person says they gotta dog, five cat people say, "Oh, yeah, well..."  Jiminy Christmas, y'all... Wink
[/rant]

Sorry, I was proselytizing.   Wink  laugh

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2008, 12:32:44 PM »

I am a dog person. When we got our first family dog I was 9 years old. We traded a gun for a purebred English Springer Spaniel. He was great and lived until my eldest daughter was 3 years old.

Now I have two pitbulls. Both are brendal, and both are really great dogs. I had another pit that died a couple months ago. We adopt pits that would otherwise be put to sleep or adopted by people that want to turn them into fighters.

Pits are great fighting dogs precisely because they will do ANYTHING for their owners. They have a bad rep here in the States, but they really are wonderful dogs.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2008, 12:35:27 PM »

We also have a Maine Coon that licks us like he is a dog. He is about twice the weight he should be and really loud. My husband threatens to kill him nearly daily-and he is a cat person. This cat whines, howls and talks incessantly until you feed him, steals the dogs food, and puts his hairy behind in our butter every chance he gets.

I only really like him between the hours of 1am-3am. He is cuddly, affectionate and mellow. Before and after that time I have a strong urge to throw him off the balcony.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2008, 01:15:33 PM »

We also have a Maine Coon that licks us like he is a dog. He is about twice the weight he should be and really loud. My husband threatens to kill him nearly daily-and he is a cat person. This cat whines, howls and talks incessantly until you feed him, steals the dogs food, and puts his hairy behind in our butter every chance he gets.

I only really like him between the hours of 1am-3am. He is cuddly, affectionate and mellow. Before and after that time I have a strong urge to throw him off the balcony.

I have never owned a dog or a cat. It seems like you are set up to go through major mourning when they die ever six to fourteen years. My friend just lost her cat. major breakdown over it.  I dunno. I would be afraid thas after ten or twelve years, I would be totally bonded only to have the pooch run over by an ice cream truck.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..ice cream  (Homer)

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
MaryCecilia
Struggler

Jurisdiction: currently attending an Antiochian parish

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2008, 06:02:26 PM »

Personally i love cats and dogs, they both have their good and bad qualities. Smiley i love that dogs will take walks with you and fetch/bring a ball for you to throw for them. i love that they don't go in a litter box like a cat does/can though i wish both could clean up after themselves when they do do their business!  Tongue

mary

Mary Cecilia passed into eternal life on Jan 2, 2010.  May her memory be eternal!
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2008, 09:48:03 PM »

Dogs actually want to be with you.  They love us unconditionally, they listen to you when no one else will, and depending on the type of dog, they'll defend you to their death.  I once had a male Shih-Tzu who, when I had to take him to the vet for check-ups, would actually display aggression towards dogs much, much bigger than him and I put together. Shocked

Dogs are (regardless of breed) at the dna level Canis lupus subspecies familiaris.  Subspecies indicates that certain physical traits may be seen in one sub group and not in another sub group of the species.  What I am saying it dogs are canis lupus that have been selectively bred throughout the years for various characteristics.  From the toy poodle to the bull mastiff to the wild canis lupus living in the Northwest Territories they are all the same species.  Fundamentally the family dog to the wild canis lupus are pack animals.  Much is to be said of your average family dog and the role of the pack and you the owner.  You aren't a person to them you are one of the pack.  It's neat though because we actually supress our dog's behaviour.  Let Puddles loose and if Puddles finds a few other dogs running loose in the woods and BAM! Puddles becomes a mean lean pack hunting machine.  It happens all the time and wild domesticated canis lupus familaris can be what a canis lupus can't usually be; a dog that isn't scared of man with an appetite for livestock (yes the wild native canis lupus eat livestock and gets blamed for something wild domesticated dogs in the area have done)  Main difference besides a Canis Latrans and a Canis lupus  (besides being different species) is that latrans almost never pack hunts although they live in packs during certain times of the year (here they seem to pack all year long).  A canis lupus almost always hunts in packs, allowing for the take down of larger animals  (elk, deer).  Ok, I know too much about this having studied a canis latrans pack (coyote) on my own for longer than I wish to admit.  I'll save my conclusions on coyotes in my state but they are interesting (their population has exploded in the past decade).  However at heart the complicated and intricate pack order and all the displays we take as love and affection from our dogs, including "wanting to be with us" is because of who and what they are.  Next time you get a chance watch a documentary about Canis Lupus, especially about the Yellowstone packs and you'll learn a lot about your dog sitting there being your potato chip bag guard Smiley
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 09:52:18 PM by username! » Logged

Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2008, 10:57:38 PM »

[rant]
[/rant]

I dunno... I am definitely neurotic, but I haven't known any neurotic cats. My two cats (one very old fat British Bicolor male and one very young Calico female), and also my deceased Calico female cat are/was very balanced, stable, perfectly well-groomed, always completely in control of any situation. 

Love never fails.
livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2008, 11:25:53 PM »

Major Dog Lover.  Currently we have a German Sheperd who thinks he's one of the kids.  Until a stranger comes around then look out, he turns into Cujo.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2008, 11:40:45 PM »

Major Dog Lover.  Currently we have a German Sheperd who thinks he's one of the kids.  Until a stranger comes around then look out, he turns into Cujo.
I really want a G. Sheperd...do they shed much?

livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2008, 11:50:48 PM »

I've had dogs that shed a lot, a Siberian Husky and a Great Pyrennes, and compared to those he hardly sheds at all.  But yes, he does shed, se we brush him about once a week and give him a good bath once a month, and we don't see hair around the house.  Probably depends on the dog though as some German Sheperds have longer hair than others.
Orthodox Wannabe

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2008, 01:03:37 AM »

I have never owned a dog or a cat. It seems like you are set up to go through major mourning when they die ever six to fourteen years. My friend just lost her cat. major breakdown over it.  I dunno. I would be afraid thas after ten or twelve years, I would be totally bonded only to have the pooch run over by an ice cream truck.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..ice cream  (Homer)

Unfortunatly that is very true.
Orthodox Wannabe

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2008, 01:04:56 AM »

Dogs actually want to be with you.  They love us unconditionally, they listen to you when no one else will, and depending on the type of dog, they'll defend you to their death. 

Exactly.
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »

still desperately trying to find a dog for the family and possibly one special dog for our special needs daughter. I can't fine a good fit in either category and the latter requires about 20k for training!   Embarrassed
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2008, 03:02:13 PM »

still desperately trying to find a dog for the family and possibly one special dog for our special needs daughter. I can't fine a good fit in either category and the latter requires about 20k for training!   Embarrassed

As far as a dog for the family adopt one at the local animal shelter.  Shelter dogs are the best! 

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2008, 03:47:24 PM »

calligraphqueen: Is there a prison program close to you? The womens prisons here have a dog training program for the prisoners. Then they sell or give the dogs to special needs families.

http://www.pathwaystohope.org/prison.htm
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2008, 04:39:09 PM »

Also, when I first opened this thread, I thought it was going to be about Dog the Bounty Hunter!   Smiley

You and me both Fr. Chris!  laugh

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2008, 05:30:50 PM »

Nah, we did the pound puppy thing several tries. Fear biters my vet told me to get out of the house asap, abused animals. They really don't know the background and history, or even some of the breed involved.  I wanted it to work but it never did....
I have looked at rescue organizations for various breeds and I think that is a good option. So many people get dogs thinking that is a 'pretty' breed or whatever, then find it's not a good fit for their family because they are never home or some such issue. Many get abandoned simply because of a move.

Haven't thought about prison programs...have to look into that.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2008, 04:24:08 AM »

I only ever adopted puppies from the shelter. 

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2008, 02:21:23 PM »

The prison programs for those with special needs actually takes shelter dogs and then has the prisoners train them. They train all day every day. The results are wonderful.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2008, 02:48:16 PM »

Something from my local newspaper:

Oregonians know that dogs come to the rescue
Pack behavior of caring for each other leads to looking out for their owners, too
Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Oregonians know dogs do come to their rescue, most of the time

The news reports said it was like a scene from "Lassie" when Annie, a miniature dachshund from Lake Oswego, saved her owner last month. Pam Fisher had fallen, and Annie barked -- and barked and barked -- until someone called the police, complaining about the noise. When police arrived, Annie kept barking, and eventually they heard Fisher's calls for help.

Talk with dog people for long, and you'll hear many stories of pets who saved the lives of their owners.

Follow this link to read the whole article.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2008, 02:54:19 PM »

I grew up with a German Shepherd named Shadow.  I remember Dad once combing enough hair off that dog to fill a 5-gallon bucket.  Shadow was a good dog, but seeing some of the stuff he ate certainly made me think twice about letting him lick me.  EWWWW!  GROSS! Tongue

One thing to watch out for when buying a German Shepherd:  Apparently, 20th Century American breeding has produced a genetic defect prevalent in German Shepherds--thankfully, some of our more scrupulous breeders have produced many German Shepherds that have not inherited this defect--that results in a potentially debilitating condition known as canine hip dysplasia.  This condition often shows up even in older puppies and can lead to painful arthritis and lameness in one or both hind legs.  You can read more information about this at the following sites:

http://www.4germanshepherds.com/Dysplasia.htm

http://www.dogbiz.com/dogs-grp7/germ-shep/german-shepherd-health-issues.html

http://www.barkbytes.com/bremed/gshep.htm
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 06:13:15 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2008, 09:42:49 PM »

I'm more of a cat person than a dog person. My cat is okay with other people, but not with other cats-not even kittens. We torture each other: I go after her fuzzy tummy and she goes after my legs. She often follows me from room to room... Grin
I'd like to get a digital camera and have some LOL Catz moments with her... Tongue

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: