OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 01:41:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Accessing Norton 360 Firewall  (Read 3772 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodox11
Archon

« on: May 29, 2008, 08:11:17 PM »

I'm currently using Norton 360 (bad choice, I know that now). The program itself is working ok, but when I click "Open Norton Protection Centre" or "Open Status Window", nothing happens. As such, I'm not able to access the Settings and therefore not able to change the Firewall settings, which means that any new program I install can't connect to the internet. I just installed Windows Service Pack 3 today and now IExplorer and Live Messenger won't connect to the internet - same goes for Real Player - I've had to start using an old version of Fire Fox and Yahoo! Messenger instead.

Is there any way I can access the firewall settings (or turn off the firewall altogether) without having to go through the main Norton control panel???

Thanks!
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 09:30:02 PM »

remove it and reinstall but go to norton's web site first get the norton uninstaller...i noticed when i used add and remove it does'nt remove everything in norton and if you reinstall after add and remove you may have the same problem...so use the norton uninstaller after it's been removed then reinstallSmileyCentral.com" border="0hope this help's it should....
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 09:33:48 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 10:28:46 PM »

I have to agree with stasko.  Uninstall, reboot, reinstall, reboot, and pray.   Tongue  Symantec products are having MASSIVE issues with SP3 with corrupting registry entries (some unlucky souls have experienced tens of thousands of corruptions and suffer from rolling reboots).

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 11:07:10 PM »

Only the amd chips are affected..by rebooting conn it's been corrected by microsoft update.....SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 12:18:14 AM »

I'm currently using Norton 360 (bad choice, I know that now).
Interesting you should regret this choice.  I updated my security software to Norton 360 only after conducting a brief research of the consumer reviews and seeing it as one of the top rated internet security suites on the market.

The program itself is working ok, but when I click "Open Norton Protection Centre" or "Open Status Window", nothing happens. As such, I'm not able to access the Settings and therefore not able to change the Firewall settings, which means that any new program I install can't connect to the internet.
I had this problem the first time I installed Norton 360 on my XP MCE SP2 system.  I basically had to do what stashko recommended by calling/emailing Symantec Support.

You installed the software to replace previous Norton internet security software, didn't you?  It seems that with XP, the previous Norton security software installation doesn't uninstall completely, even when you remove the program via the Control Panel.  You have to use Norton's uninstaller to clean out all the residue, including any other Norton programs you might have installed, before you can reinstall Norton 360.  This worked for me.  The best way to get instructions as to how to do this is to contact Symantec Support at http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/index.jsp.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 12:19:12 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 06:44:53 AM »

I ended up running the Norton removal tool and then reinstalling 360 like you suggested. It seems to be working ok now. Thanks guys!

Just waiting to see what new glitch the Symantech people come up with next month.....
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 07:54:17 AM »

Just waiting to see what new glitch the Symantech people come up with next month.....

They'll just blame it on everyone else.   laugh

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 03:54:46 PM »

New problem (sorry to keep asking)....Since I updated my browser to iExplorer 7 I can no longer watch things in full screen on sites like YouTube or BBC iPlayer.* Any ideas?

*It's definately the browser, cause they work fine on Firefoxx.
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 04:27:19 PM »

New problem (sorry to keep asking)....Since I updated my browser to iExplorer 7 I can no longer watch things in full screen on sites like YouTube or BBC iPlayer.* Any ideas?

*It's definately the browser, cause they work fine on Firefoxx.

Try reinstalling Flash, Java and DirectX.  The new Flash and DirectX 9 seem to be having some issues when it comes to fullscreen displays in Trident-based browsers.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 05:47:48 PM »

Try reinstalling Flash, Java and DirectX.  The new Flash and DirectX 9 seem to be having some issues when it comes to fullscreen displays in Trident-based browsers.

No luck unfortunately.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 06:28:50 PM »

try stretching the open brower page from one side or the other till it fit's the monitor screen up or bottom and the sides ..hold left click at the edge of the browser window ,and stretch...hope this helps....SmileyCentral.com" border="0

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 06:52:28 PM »

try stretching the open brower page from one side or the other till it fit's the monitor screen up or bottom and the sides ..hold left click at the edge of the browser window ,and stretch...hope this helps....SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Might as well just maximize the browser window. Wink
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 07:10:03 PM »

try stretching the open brower page from one side or the other till it fit's the monitor screen up or bottom and the sides ..hold left click at the edge of the browser window ,and stretch...hope this helps....

Thanks, but the problem I'm having is not being able to watch videos in full screen (it's just a frozen blurr), not the size of the browser window, which i can maximise or resize with no problem.
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 07:16:18 PM »

Have you tried reinstalling IE7?

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 07:20:29 PM »

I have i.e. browser 7  iv. never tried watching u-tube video's in full screen. usually by clicking a few times on the video see if that expands it to full screen ,,, esc should down size it.....click view on the browser chose full screen when the video is playing see if that works........SmileyCentral.com" border="0

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 07:41:55 PM »

Have you tried reinstalling IE7?

Yup, same problem though.

I have i.e. browser 7  iv. never tried watching u-tube video's in full screen. usually by clicking a few times on the video see if that expands it to full screen ,,, esc should down size it.....click view on the browser chose full screen when the video is playing see if that works........

Thanks again, but this isn't really related to the problem I'm having. The problem isn't how to view videos in full screen, but that I just get a frozen distorted image when I try to do so using IE7 - it works fine in other browsers.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 07:50:38 PM »

Update your memory  add more...freezing is a sign of low memory.....SmileyCentral.com" border="0

SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 08:22:48 PM »

Thanks again, but this isn't really related to the problem I'm having. The problem isn't how to view videos in full screen, but that I just get a frozen distorted image when I try to do so using IE7 - it works fine in other browsers.

Which other browsers?  Mozilla and Opera are different beasts.  If YouTube works fine with these browsers, then Flash isn't the issue.

Try security settings or perhaps low memory as stashko already pointed out.  Upgrading Flash is the easiest followed by examining security settings since IE7 introduced far more security settings than IE6.

Some more info could be found below:

Other Suggestions
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 08:35:20 PM »

Which other browsers?  Mozilla and Opera are different beasts.  If YouTube works fine with these browsers, then Flash isn't the issue.

It works fine with Mozilla. Haven't tried Opera.

Try security settings or perhaps low memory as stashko already pointed out.  Upgrading Flash is the easiest followed by examining security settings since IE7 introduced far more security settings than IE6.

I don't believe it's the security settings, since videos play fine when I don't click on full screen. Also, the browser doesn't prevent me from entering the full screen mode itself, it's just that the image freezes/blurs. I get the sound, and the video's back to normal when I exit full screen.

Since the system doesn't freeze or slow down at all (it's only the image that freezes, and only while it's in full screen - it exists as soon as I hit Esc), and since it works fine in Mozilla, I can't see it being a memory problem.

Huh

SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 08:45:54 PM »

It works fine with Mozilla. Haven't tried Opera.

Check Java settings under IE7:

Java Settings and IE7
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 08:59:35 PM »

you could be having a lot of stuff in the back ground running that your not aware of.....if you have windows defender you can shut the not needed programs off ,,and use them when you need them ,..keeps them off,, and  fromm accessing the internet when you start your computer...doesn't deprive you of there use just keeps them off when booting up...
 example itunes ,,real player,media player..quicktime player..winamp..these if there not shut off will ...seek to update them selfs..and other programs so ..i shut all my programs off..ill update them manully when i want to...including windows update manully.....i don't want any thing running on my computer with out me knowing about it...SmileyCentral.com" border="0..ps   any thing that runs uses memory resoures

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 12:06:52 AM »

Offering this as a means of helping troubleshoot the issue:  I had no problems watching youtube videos fullscreen with IE7.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: